Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Maps constantly zooming out/Average Speed Jumping about
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Maps constantly zooming out/Average Speed Jumping about
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Any updates? Reply with quote

Any feedback as to what could be causing the problem? I have tried everything I can think of including wiping the ROM and doing a clean install, but problem seems to persist.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is still doing it (it always has) and I am certain that it is associated with map tile downloads. Going to try out the av spd in a fwe mins.

Edit: Well I tried the av spd function and sure enough it screwed up when the map did its little jig. It went from about 28 which was about right to 84 while I was doing about 20. It cam down a bit but jumped up again when the map 'updated' or whatever it does making the av spd totally wrong.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: Any updates? Reply with quote

smar wrote:
Any feedback as to what could be causing the problem? I have tried everything I can think of including wiping the ROM and doing a clean install, but problem seems to persist.

Sorry, we still have no idea. So far it seems to affect three people (out of thousands). Short of using your phones for testing there's not much we can do at the moment I am afraid.

Log files can be read with the usual applications off Google Play, but they may not cover the events leading to your map jumping. Give it a try, personally I use "aLogcat"

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
It went from about 28 which was about right to 84 while I was doing about 20.

84?? Your not trying hard enough. I managed to average over 900mph on the M25 according to CamerAlert. I tried to claim the land speed record but no luck. They muttered something about unreliable data.

But at least we are in a select band of 3 - the chosen few. Anybody else like to join us and tell us about their problems with average speeds through specs zones?

By the way on a serious note my only problem is the average speed. My maps do not jump about like others. So I suspect there may be two separate problems.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount

Last edited by peterc10 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are the log files and what arehey callad Lutz?

@peter Very Happy Very Happy
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are no files as such, I misspoke. The aLogcat application allows you to view and save the last few minutes of the total Android activities, and you can filter by CamerAlert (but may not want to as the bug may well show in some Google Map API calls outside CamerAlert.

So when you experience the issue, find a safe place to park, fire up aLogCat and save the current log to a text file which you then send to us.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right then. I'll investigate this aLogcat s/w and report back. I'll also try the AvSpd with no maps to see if the Av speed still jumps around. I suppose that if it does not, then it would appear to be associated with map tiles being loaded.
acefreecell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread, I had this problem about two weeks ago and thought it was just me.

I have a Motorola Defy and ran just the CamerAlert whilst traveling on the M62 with the average cameras on. It is a very long stretch and easy to creep over the average.

Imagine my surprise when it first showed that my average was about 70mph - I had to do a double take but then saw 156mph flash up Confused I thought it just be the app and watched for the rest of the zone.

The following week I showed my wife and we had a spot the highest speed... not quite the sound barrier, but 728mph from a 1.2 Punto Shocked how do I explain that to my insurance, if they had there way and monitored everything like they want.

I am sure its a small glitch in a very good app, but it does keep you awake, perhaps that is the point??

I was running the app full screen, no other GPS apps and it was in non map mode.

Motorola Defy with CamerAlert, NDrive 11, Co-Pilot Live and Google Maps

formally Garmin i3, Nuvi 200 and Origin BlueI
(Origin for sale)
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the olden days we had a filter for excessive reported GPS speed. We removed that after the vast majority of GPS chipsets got really good at providing reasonable data. Wonder if it makes sense to re-introduce that filter, and set it to 120 mph or some such. Would you lot like to test that?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more than happy to test it, but my short test did not give results that silly. The highest I got was 84 when doing less than 30. I just started the Av Speed calc by tapping the real time speed and waited for the 'map refresh'. That's when it went wrong, several times.
What's strange is that google nav maps do not 'jump about', just CA.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing strange about it, Google Maps are vector based, whereas we have to make do with their old tile API.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
acefreecell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will test anything for you guys, it is a cracking app - grommet.

It is strange, the real time speed on the left is correct, and the average next to it bounces - but seems to go wrong when the cameras are far apart.

I will test again as I am going into Nottingham and they have the run of fixed average cameras. Just thinking that it might be a temp camera issue if the app is not sure of the speed that should be applied (whilst typing, I just reminded myself that the speed icon in the the top right corner had a question mark in it).

(Origin for sale)
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acefreecell wrote:
Great thread, I had this problem about two weeks ago and thought it was just me.

And now we are 4!

Anymore for anymore.

I too am happy to test it, but I am not sure what good it will do. I suspect all we will get is an average speed of 120mph (or whatever limit you set), or no average speed at all. Neither will be useful.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@acefreecel. You can start the average speed calculation anywhere by tapping the real time speed readout. You don't have to be going past a real specs cam. Reset it by tapping the speed again twice.

@Lutz. Right then, I've just been out for a little drive at all times less than 30mph with the maps off. At first the AvSpd readout is OK for about 10-15 seconds seconds, then it jumps, mostly to 40-50mph but my best was 826mph Shocked . Evey time it jumped, I reset it and the above was repeated. It even jumped from 3mph to 54mph when I was stationary.
I suspect that the maps anomoly is probably being caused by the same thing, but the tile reload is obviously not causing it as I suspected.

As you can see, putting a realy big 'ignore too high a speed' algorithm would not work, as the speed jumps that I have experienced are rather modest (most of them) but screw it up completely. Just as I drove onto my drive, having set the av about 15 seconds earlier, it jumped to 55 and took for ever (several 10s of seconds) before the av started coming down v slowly when parked. Posibly a filter that filtered out average speeds that were not =- something when compared with the last reading would be better. The problem there as I see it would be if you were starting off from stationary where the avspd would possibly increase sharply or similar situations.

Hope this helps, and if you want me to do some further testing, which I am more than happy to do, you have my email. Laughing

PS There were no camera alerts (no cams) whilst all this was going on so it seems unlikely that acefreecel's Temp cam idea is the cause.
I have a Galaxy ACE2 with stock rom. What are the other phones?
acefreecell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just come back from Notts, interesting as I to had a jump to 70mph whilst I was stopped at the lights. But a bit better than that, I got 99mph in the multi story (no GPS fix).

Motorola Defy (Froyo)

(Origin for sale)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: