Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom for Android lands in Google Play store
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom for Android lands in Google Play store
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reyn wrote:
I am trying to find out what it is capable of before I shell out £40.
At present I use a TomTom 1 XL and a HTC Desire with CoPilot as a second device. I find the TomTom 1 excellent and it usually takes me where I want to go but I have to check the route first and if necessary use Itinerary to modify it. CoPilot takes me to some funny places so I don't use it much.
Does TomTom Android have a route planning function and secondly where can I find out some more details or are you expected to hope for the best?
Thanks
Frank

You're probably supposed to hope for the best but you can plan routes by specifying the start & end points & then, if you don't like the route given, select ""Change Route" where you are given various options ie:

Clear Route: Avoid Roadblock; Calculate Alternative: Travel Via: Avoid Part of Route: Recalculate Route.

If you opt for "Travel via" you get

Home: Favourite: Address: Recent Destination: Local Search: POI: Point on Map: Contact:

It seems fairly comprehensive & works well from what I can see
reyn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I suppose it's like most software you only find out the quirks when you try it out, it seems a bit like a modification to the "You can return the software for a refund but only if you haven't removed the seal"
Thanks again
Frank
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reyn wrote:
Thank you, I suppose it's like most software you only find out the quirks when you try it out, it seems a bit like a modification to the "You can return the software for a refund but only if you haven't removed the seal"
Thanks again
Frank

No Prob, but I know what you mean, when I attempted to return the joke that ALK call CoPilot v9 Premium, they refused on the basis that I had "installed & activated" the app - they declined to tell me how I was supposed to assess it without installing Rolling Eyes
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Android Market (as it used to be called IIRC) used to allow you 24 hours to uninstall an app and get a refund. Now Google Play is down to 15 minutes. Not a lot, but then a lot better than buying software in a shop or at a distance.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
Android Market (as it used to be called IIRC) used to allow you 24 hours to uninstall an app and get a refund. Now Google Play is down to 15 minutes. Not a lot, but then a lot better than buying software in a shop or at a distance.

They only allow 15 minutes in the market but after CoPilot had messed me about for weeks I finally resorted to contacting Google.Play - they couldn't have been more helpful & gave me a full refund & this was about 6 weeks after purchase so Google Play 10/10 - ALK Nil Pois Laughing
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried most of the major Android satnav offerings and they all have some stand out features, but all are also lacking in one respect or another, including Tomtom, CoPilot, Sygic, Google Navigation, Waze etc.

To determine whether something is good or bad you must first decide what your priorities are. For example, if a pretty UI is important to you then you will favour the prettier offerings even though they may have poorer routing algorithms. You may prefer more bells and whistles like 3D elevations, building renderings in cities, customisable car icons and suchlike, so you will avoid the more basic offerings which concentrate only on the more core features.

Not everyone shares the same opinions though, and I don't think any Android satnav system stands head and shoulders above the rest. Each has something to offer depending on preference and what compromises different people are prepared to accept.

Maybe we could let everyone make up their own minds and stick to the facts rather than labelling one product as a joke, another as crapware and so on. There are no winners or losers here, we're all simply seeking facts and information.
Tommy3090
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts on early use are that it does exactly what it says it should do.
But it does appear to have been taken out of the oven before it was fully baked Smile

Thankfully my device is one of the "Chosen" but there are some issues that I think TT, who will hopefully be reading these threads, will iron out sooner rather than later.

I use my device in landscape mode but it appears that the layout suits portrait.
The font size used for the traffic information is far too small.
The response of the app to react to a deviation en route is slow, indeed navigating around the menus is sometimes sluggish.
There is minimal customisation of the display options.

I use camera alert and have found that if I link TT to start from camera alert when I exit TT the app will re-start.
When I start TT individually it exits ok.

It can't be camera alert as it never did this when I used Copilot.

Apart from the above I really like the app, routing / traffic data are spot on (so far) which for me is exactly what I want.
Everything else would be icing on the cake.
Western Europe map version v895.4453
PGPSW Camera Alert
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compared to my GO1000, the TomTom Android app on my S2 re-routes slightly faster.

My GO1000 has arrival time as 1 minute faster than Android app on my 40 mile journey to the office though.

Quite happy with the Android app as using it as a backup at the moment.
finite73
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:

You'll also notice the strange shape of the camera icons courtesy of TomTom

That can be corrected by resizing the normal 22x22 icons to 24x24 24bit bmp giving the custom icons the same integrated look. Batch conversion in IrfanView makes it less of a task.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finite73 wrote:
IanS100 wrote:

You'll also notice the strange shape of the camera icons courtesy of TomTom

That can be corrected by resizing the normal 22x22 icons to 24x24 24bit bmp giving the custom icons the same integrated look. Batch conversion in IrfanView makes it less of a task.

Thanks for the tip, I resized & tidied up the improved 44 x 44 icons to 24 x 24 & they fit nicely inside the TomTom teardrop shape but they are just too small & are nowhere near as noticeable so I'm back to the 44 x 44 with the apendage on the bottom, but it was worth a try. As there isn't any sound for the poi files I'm using the consolidated set which means there are only 5 bmp files to play with, thank goodness

If anyone wants a set of the 24 x 24 to try pm me your email address & I'll send them over, with permission of PGPSW of course.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:

My GO1000 has arrival time as 1 minute faster than Android app on my 40 mile journey to the office though.

The big question is, Do you arrive the minute earlier when you use the GO1000? :D
skb2001
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
I had a play with the speed camera db last night & they can be displayed on screen:-
Extract the database in the usual way & whilst the phone is connected to a computer navigate to the map folder on the phone in the same way as you would on a TomTom PND ie
TomTom/com.TomTom.ukireland/files/United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland
(Note I have the UK & Eire maps, the folder name will be different if different maps have been purchased)
Drop the PGPSW database in the map folder
From within the TomTom app Navigate to: view map/details/choosee POIs
Select the PGPSW POI files with the check box

you will now have them displayed on screen although on my SGS3 they are tiny, & I can't see any way to receive a warning from within the app because there is no "manage POI"
Used alongside CameraAlert it's almost a solution

hi, where do you get the database from? thanks
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subscribe to PGPSW & download from the link top right hand side of the page "Download Here"
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we expect a Pocket GPS World review of "TomTom for Android" comparing it with other popular TT models e.g. 940 (Twisted Evil)

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
Can we expect a Pocket GPS World review of "TomTom for Android" comparing it with other popular TT models e.g. 940 (Twisted Evil)

It would be interesting to see but the problem is, which model TomTom PND do you compare it to? Comparisons are usually made on similarly priced products, impressions & functionality will also vary depending on which phone TomTom is installed on!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: