Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Directions for DIY Speedcamera Alert
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Directions for DIY Speedcamera Alert

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pj123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Directions for DIY Speedcamera Alert Reply with quote

I am living in Thailand so I do not have the benefit of the Pocketgps speed camera database. I have been putting together my own list of POIs for camera locations. I find that for about half the cameras I get a warning going both directions. All the roads are long straight motorways. I have checked the locations of the POIs using POI Edit. Any suggestions why this is a problem with only half the cameras?

I had a search on the forum and found a discussion back in 2006 about direction of camera POIs and the fact that Garmin does not have an option for direction. Has anything changed since then?

Thanks
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi pj123,

Our database admin and appointed expert is having a short break but should be able to help you on his return.

But, if speed cameras are prevalent in Thailand then we would be more than happy to add them and you'd be in a unique position to get a Lifetime Subscription.

If you can submit in the cameras you have we can create a new Thailand download option with the hard work done for you?

cameras [AT] pocketgpsworld.com
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thailand cameras are in the Asia database.

Admittedly we only have 7 pending (unconfirmed) sites so they don't actually appear in the public downloads yet.

Garmin don't allow directional data for 3rd party POIs like ours BUT they do seem to have clever software that will only warn if the camera is on the side of the road you are on such as if the camera is on a large motorway with 2 separate carriages on the map then sometimes it will 'guess' at the direction. Speed is also taken into account, at higher speeds they often don't alert to cameras on side roads etc.

However, there's no user control over any of this and that may be why some appear to be directional and others don't.

As Darren says, please do submit your locations at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras&op=SubmitCamera

MaFt
pj123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you for the replies.

The problem motorway is elevated and narrow compared to the other motorway so it probably shows up the limitations of the Garmin software.

I will try pushing the camera positions out beyond the road to see if that helps.

I would like to support the database but the form is too time consuming to complete for the 10 camera positions I am 100% sure of.

Maybe when I get some time later in the month.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the coordinates of these? If so then you could email them to MaFt AT pocketgpsworld.com and I can manually insert them for you.

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: