Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is the Honda DVD sat nav any good?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the Honda DVD sat nav any good?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: New Honda Civic EX (2012) sat nav Reply with quote

dalek wrote:
I wanted to know if it voice controlled, can I import POI's, my POI's working with media files and USB etc etc.
Pretty old thread, but at least you're not hijacking it, so its as good a place as anywhere I reckon.
If it's V3.x (whip out the DVD, the Ver no is on it) then it's voice controlled (VC) and works reasonably well. Theres not much you can do with the satnav using VC but lots of other stuff can be done. There is no POI import on V3. The map is only 2d. I use a stand alone satnav alongside my Honda for 3D, POIs and speed cam alerts.
Oh, and it does have RDS TMC Traffic info that warns you of jams etc.
dalek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! but no DVD. the DVD slot is empty and says DVD video logo. It claims to be HDD navigation system. So somewhere behind the facia is a SD or HDD slot. Next time I'm in Honda shop I will ask to start it and extract model, manufacturer, type or version numbers. It's a nav with a small round knob at each bottom corner.
I've sent another email to Honda and asked that they pass the buck onto someone more technical and access to technical. There is definitely an electronic version in existence as it is what is needed and sent to printers.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I can't help as mine is tgh DVD V3 version. Has th car handbook not got the info?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda are changing from the current Alpine DVD based built in unit to a Clarion based 'maps on SD card' unit for the MY12 Civic. EX models will get a HDD linkup to allow MP4 movies to be stored and played.

On the face of it, looking at the PDF file, it looks like a better unit. One feature I did spot is that it can display 2D and 3D. My only reservations are the position, as you have to take your eyes off the road, whereas the current unit is in an ideal high up location. I think this is because the new unit is touchscreen whereas the current unit is jog-dial controlled.
Fortunately, as per the current unit, a lot of it is also voice controlled via a steering wheel button.

The new unit is also 1" smaller than current.

When I get my replacement Civic next year I will be getting the built in SatNav again as the TMC traffic reception is 100% reliable, covers the whole country wherever you are, and you have no wires and suckers to play with. It also mutes the radio when issuing directions.

Your final question - no you can't load the PGPSW database. That would be the icing on the cake.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
dalek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that information. I was trying to look up information on the system before I buy so no access to manuals that come with car, yet! I use iGO8, covers the whole of Europe and I can load and alter anything I want either via the interface or in the sys.txt file. Also using TMC data to reroute etc via either my Royaltek Bluetooth GPS/TMC or GNS BT GPS/TMC. Also Map updates are much cheaper than any car manufacturers offers.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then do like I do. Stick to iGO and watcvh the countryside go by on the Honda. Having said that, I find the 2D Honda map useful in town when I need a shortcut, or when I'm lost, put it North up to get a bnetter idea of where the hell I am Very Happy
edmy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Alternatives Reply with quote

I purchased my Honda CRV without sat nav and then replaced the head unit with a new replacement bought off Amazon. Depending on your make and model you can get a head unit complete that fits perfectly with DVD player Sat Nav and bluetooth all combined for a fraction of the initial cost. Alternatively search Ebay or the net.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: