Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CoPilot Map Errors
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CoPilot Map Errors
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: CoPilot Map Errors Reply with quote

Brown Road in Tomball, TX - all house numbers above 14400 are missing.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Thud
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: CoPilot Map Errors Reply with quote

In Cornwall, a 2 mile section of the A390 is incorrectly called the A39. The relevant section is between the B3275 and the junction of the A390 and A39 NE of the centre of Truro.

Also, CoPilot thinks that driving west along the A3078 it changes name to the A390 "Proceed ahead as name changes to A390 west" whereas it joins the A390 at the stop of a T-junction.

CoPilot doesn't seem to be aware of the priority at cross-roads. The next instruction may be a fairly unimportant one of the form "Continue on B1234 as it turns left in 3 miles" when in fact you are approaching a crossroads that requires you to stop and give way. If the rule was that an instruction is not given when staying on the same road then I could understand the absence of an instruction at a crossroads but that isn't the case because it quite often gives instructions of the form "Continue on etc"

When on country lanes CoPilot is also unaware of the priority at junctions. This is understandable since an Ordance Survey map doesn't show priorities either. However, it would help if, when approaching a fork in the road, it could give some instruction to indicate which way to go. When the next instruction is 2 miles away you would think that you could ignore the approaching side road but then, just as you pass it, you get a beep from the unit and it says it is recalculating the route.

Having said all that, I still think it's a good unit, just needs some slight refinements.
TheGoodMan
Regular Visitor

Please post any Map Errors that you find in CoPilot in this message.<br>
qwerty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m6 toll road??
gilbates
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: missing large farm entrance Reply with quote

Wickham road ( A32 ) nr Gosport ( lat 50 52 11.0 N , long 1 10 , 51.7W ) missing large entrance to old farm ( Dean Farm ) with small road system in farm inc dwellings old and new
sven
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 28 SW Fluela Pass in northern Italy is shown on the map, but if you include it in your route you get a message "Sorry, this route is not available".

Rather annoying when I want to ride over the Fluela pass on my holiday at the end of May :x

The new Bingley relief road in West Yorkshire is also missing, but it only opened just before Xmas.......
Thud
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can somebody with CP5 please try this route for me to see if the routing problem on minor roads has been fixed?

As an example try Mevagissey to St Ewe on the desktop program with the routing option set to shortest. (The problem isn't specific to this route, I've had it happen in many places, but this is a route on which I think I can remember the junction priorities.) The picture below shows junctions that should have turn instructions but CP4 doesn't provide them. Has this been fixed in CP5?

The total journey is 3.1 miles but the last instruction is given with 2.3 miles still to go.

Thanks.
CrashBiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just plotted this route with v5 desktop, here are the instructions:

Driving directions Odometer Time

Mevagissey, UK

Go east on B3273 (Valley Road)
Drive less than 0.1 miles 0.0 0:00

Turn left on Chapel Square
Drive less than 0.1 miles 0.1 0:00

Turn right on Church Street
Drive 0.1 miles 0.2 0:01

Turn right
Drive less than 0.1 miles 0.2 0:01

Turn right on Tregoney Hill
Drive less than 0.1 miles 0.3 0:01
Stay on Tregoney Hill as it turns right
Drive 0.5 miles (~3 min) 0.8 0:04

Bear right
Drive 2.3 miles (~8 min) 3.1 0:12

St Ewe, UK 3.1 0:12

© 1990-2004 TravRoute®.
All drive times are approximate.
('~5 mins' indicates you should be on this segment for 'about 5 minutes'. )

This suggested route is based on various data sources and may be incomplete or
inaccurate in some cases. The user assumes full liability for any delay, loss
or damage which may occur as a result of its use. Please obey local traffic laws.

Crash
CrashBiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, all gps systems make errors in understanding which is the straight through and which is a turn. I don't believe map data includes junction priorities. I've always quite liked copilot because if it hits a fork in the road and doesn't know which is the continuation it tends to advise "Bear Left". If it thinks it's more obvious you get "Turn Left."

I can understand why the second left is missed, but the first seems odd.

I came within a hair's breadth of ordering Trafficmaster Smartnav a year ago. Central computer routing with trafficnet based updates - sounded great. Just before I ordered I went on a short journey with a friend that had TomTom (2 I think). The system made a perfectly understandable error with turn instructions near my house because it guessed the wrong junction priority. Because the map was on screen it was easy to see where I needed to go. At that point I decided not to buy a system without a display so smartnav was out and cpl4 was in.

Crash
Thud
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crash,

Thank you for the results of the test.

I was hoping that they would have fixed it in CP5 by adding, as you mentioned, more "bear left/right" instructions when the priority was unknown. If only they had fixed the problem it would have clinched the decision to upgrade. My experience is that on minor unnamed roads you're as good as on your own as far as instructions go. The map is still correct but you have to slow right down before it will appear.

Thud
CrashBiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree it should be fixed, however cpl5 has a new feature that makes this situation MUCH easier I find. With cpl4 you had the "two stick men or 1 and a steering wheel" to switch between safety screen and navigation mode. You needed to be precise with a stylus (ie not driving) to switch between them, or jab the screen to get it to show a map just before every junction if you knew there was a junction coming, which in this case you would not as copilot has not identified a junction.

With cpl5, there are now more view options, so as well as safety, local map & itinerary, ALK have added 3D, map to next turn & map to destination. This is good, but it's not the key feature. The key is you can now select between views with a big top row button and a finger sized drop down list.

The way I use it is if I'm doing 100miles up the motorway I put it into safety mode, when I turn off into a town or small back roads 2 jabs of a finger and I have 3D mode (which to my complete surprise I find wonderfully useful. )

This means I can safely swap from safety to full time map view and back safely and quickly in cpl5, which is a big upgrade from v4.

Just a thought

Crash
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thud wrote:
...to see if the routing problem on minor roads has been fixed?

Two things I noticed.

1) When the street keeps its name and makes a turn that's less than 90 degrees you may not hear a voice instruction
2) When one street changes names AND turns 90 degrees at the same time (with no option to go anywhere else but around the turn) you do still hear the voice instruction, even though it is redundant.

Eventually this is a question of surveying preciseness... which tends to be lower for minor roads

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Thud
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crash,

Thanks for the description of how the various display modes can be used to get around the problem. That's made my mind up to get the update.

Thud
slatey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my upgrade was bought wed evening on the phone from alk uk but has not been delivered yet so it looks like monday now... Crying or Very sad
lexuscol
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just found out part of Fourth Ave and Bad Bargain Lane in York is named as Starkey Crescent.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: