Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is TomTom Violating Your Privacy?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is TomTom Violating Your Privacy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alncc1701 wrote:
Thanks for most of the replies. Rowdy teenagers not included.
Presumably this includes paranoidal posters Burn In Hell
alncc1701
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I see nothing paranoid about considering the implications and potential ramifications of personal data flows back and forth. We all have to trust someone in the end and hopefully TomTom and other satnav companies will respect the privacy of their users. But it is always good to know just what exactly they have on us so that we can be informed users and not taken advantage of.

My feeling is that what they are currently asking for in data retrieval is too intrusive. Maybe they will reduce what they take in the future and still be able to deliver a good service. Companies will often try to take more and more data from their users, because the more data you have, the more money you make. But the line does have to be drawn somewhere between what is fair versus excessive.

I think we just should keep an eye on what they are doing, and know the risks. We are free to make whatever decisions we want personally about whom we trust. I think I have said all I can think of, to be aware of, on this topic now.

So as long as we keep informed, we will be better off.
Al
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alncc1701 wrote:
Well I see nothing paranoid about considering the implications and potential ramifications of personal data flows back and forth.

I still can't see what personal data is being sent back and forth? All they send are road, time, day and current speed so they can stick all that data into the IQ Routes stuff (either for the historical data or for the live data via vodafone).

There is no personal information.

MaFt
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me it's no worse than a supermarket logging what you purchase when you shop so that they can send you vouchers tailored to your shopping preferences or using that same information to re-stock their shelves with the items most purchased by the majority of shoppers in that store.

Each time you use your credit card you tell the card company far more about where you are and what you're up to than TomTom finds out from your SatNav.
entwood
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they ask for information, and you can either agree or refuse, your choice ... just how does that constitute a "violation" of privacy ?? It would only be a violation if it was done WITHOUT your knowing
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "niggle" with that is that you bought the device assuming the features advertised (such as Live Services) would work.
But if you opt to refuse information sharing, NONE of the Live Services will work any more.

It's an insurmountable problem IF it bothers you.

Prior to the new EU legislation (or clarification of old legislation), TomTom did not have to ask the question or KNOW that they should....

They can't go back and put a warning on the box for units that have already been sold.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: