Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - mapFactor Release Free Navigator For Android
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

mapFactor Release Free Navigator For Android

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: mapFactor Release Free Navigator For Android Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
MapFactor have released a Beta version of their Navigator application in the Android Market. Navigator is a turn by turn navigation application with voice guidance. Based on OpenStreetMaps it has on-board mapping which means you do not use any data on your phone when running.

It comes with built in POIs and you can navigate to Full UK postcodes. The display has a 2D or 3D mode with both day and night colour schemes. You can also add your own favourites and routes.

The application is available free on the Android Market. Click here to download.

The full description from mapFactor follows:

mapFactor Navigator
The number 1 free offline navigation of the whole world comes to Android.
MapFactor Navigator is a free turn-by-turn GPS navigation app for Android phones and tablets using OpenStreetMaps data. Maps are installed on the SD card so there is no need for an Internet connection when traveling. Map and app updates are FREE every month.

MapFactor also makes the popular NavigatorFREE for PC, Pocket PC and WinCE.

OpenStreetMap is a collaborative project to create a free editable map of the world. For more information see www.openstreetmap.org

Voice guidance

* intuitive voice navigation in different languages

* door to door route planning

* cross-border routing without the need to switch between countries or to a less detailed map 

* overview of the upcoming manoeuvre and distance shown on the screen

GPS satellite navigation

* 2D/3D mode allows realistic visual map display 

* day/night modes switch colour schemes for day or night time driving

* map rotates in driving direction, or north up

Searching 

* find nearest points of interest 

* postcodes 

* full GB postcodes (1.8 million)

Speed cameras

* hear audible warnings as you approach speed cameras

Features 

* add your own favourite locations and routes 

* routing modes for car, pedestrian, truck 

* route avoidance - block off certain road from your route
email icon

auntyflossie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Mapfactor Navigator Reply with quote

Hello. I would have been nice if you had made it clear which of your speed camera data works with this Mapfactor Navigation APP for Android.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Mapfactor Navigator Reply with quote

auntyflossie wrote:
Hello. I would have been nice if you had made it clear which of your speed camera data works with this Mapfactor Navigation APP for Android.

We're not aware of any POI import facility...

MaFt
stonecot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Mapfactor Navigator Reply with quote

There would appear to be an import facility for some sort of Camera alert data base and also for Red Light data, which can be found in the same menu option as the map imports.

I've imported this and it shows cameras in our area, but I presume that the data will be out of date.

Still investigating as this application will not be eating my data allowances, especially when outside of country.

Update to previous post:-
The format of the file is *.mca and the date is July 18, 2011

Last edited by stonecot on Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikeharris
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked the same question on the MapFactor forum

http://forum.mapfactor.com/discussion/244/pocketgps-speedcam-data

I'm still not sure what to use though...

mdx 9:57AM
Ok, if you have "the pocketgps speedcamera data" for MapFactor NavigatorFREE or Navigator, you can just copy them to /sdcard/navigator/data (and replace the ones you just downloaded from our server). The speedcamera data are the same for PC, PDA, PND as well as now for Android program.
regards
Martin
stonecot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Mapfactor Reply with quote

pocket GPS world release a version of data for MapFactor, so I assume that we just copy it over as per your post.
mikeharris
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but which version is that? I don't see mapfactor in the drop down list...

I ended-up making the .mca files myself last time I needed them ;(
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I've got this all wrong, but I blame the Australians, because I've been drinking a bottle of their red wine.

This Navigator App is for Android phones, and the PGPSW camera database would be the Camera Alert which would come down direct onto the phone. I don't know if you can download to a PC / Mac and then copy to the phone. So there is no 'drop down list', which i am assuming you mean the list from the PGPSW web site.

I have an Android phone, I have not tried this app, but again I assume that CA will run in the back ground and wan of cameras like it does with Navigon or any other navigation app that does not allow custom poi's to be added.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

253 wrote:
Sorry if I've got this all wrong,
I think that you have. It seems that the s/w itself will handle speedcams, and the discussion is to try to find if one of our d/l is compatible and if so, which one.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, it's all coming back to me now...

We stopped supporting the MapFactor MCA download a number of years back (I hadn't realised it was still in the compatibility chart!).

Each month (when we released monthly) MapFactor would download the database, convert it for us and then (after a week or so) send us the updated MCA file to upload to our servers. They wouldn't give us any software for us to do it ourselves and receiving the updates got less and less reliable.

When we moved to weekly updates the MCA basically went out the window...

MaFt
mikeharris
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey, coming back to me as well. I blame it on age Embarassed It was 4 years ago!!

Last time I rolled my own .mca files! I could automate the whole process except the download of the speed camera database files so I gave up with it. I really cant be bothered to do it manually...

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=64011

I might revisit the .mca file format to see if its possible to reverse engineer it Wink

Mike
mhb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: MapFactor Speed Cameras Reply with quote

Hi MaFt,
The free to download 'Digger12' software is supposed to be able to convert the Pocket GPS speed camera info to the required MCA format. It would be good if Pocket GPS were able to provide a MCA file for download as is still implied on the Supported Systems page.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: