Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PocketGPSW POI's and TomTom 820
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PocketGPSW POI's and TomTom 820
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormtracker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: PocketGPSW POI's and TomTom 820 Reply with quote

Good afternoon all,

I recently upgraded my TomTom XL Live to a new TomTom Go Live 820 and have to use the "MyTomTom" web based application to install my old POI's I created along with the pertaining .bmp which is working well. i.e. the POI Icon (.bmp) I created for my POI's (.ov2) are showing on the TomTom screen when I am near to one of my own created POI's.

However, as I am employed as a Multi-Drop driver, I have to fill my truck up with Diesel everyday and as my company uses BP Fuel Cards, I decided to download the PocketGPSW's POI's for BP Petrol.

I left the filenames identical as per the download (BP_PGPSW) and installed both the .ov2 and .bmp to my TomTom. Whilst the BP_PGPSW.ov2 file is working great, the BP_PGPSW.bmp isn't being married to the .ov2 file and all I see on-screen is a red square.

I then decided to delete both the BP_PGPSW .ov2 and .bmp files and rename them both but keeping the filenames identical - the procedure for OV2 and BMP files on a TomTom device.

Does anyone know why the PocketGPSW .ov2 files are not picking up the pertaining .bmp file?

Thanks
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, but I'll try them tomorrow and get back to you.

One thing... you are adding them BOTH in the "Add POI section" 2of MyTomTom, and not putting the .bmp anywhere else?

Incidentally, there IS a problem with the latest software for some models "squashing" the normal sized icons by a couple of pixels so SOME of them become unreadable. But so far that only affects the models that use "Home".
Stormtracker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote from Andy_P

""One thing... you are adding them BOTH in the "Add POI section" of MyTomTom, and not putting the .bmp anywhere else?""

That's exactly what I done. I put the .ov2 file into the POI section and the .bmp file into the "images" section and Not POI section Rolling Eyes

As soon as I put the .bmp into the POI section, the default image changed to the BP Petrol image.

I must have done it that way to my own POI's but obviously forgot - muppet comes to mind Surprised

Thanks Andy_P, you Me Me Me
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love a happy ending! Very Happy
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stormtracker wrote:

That's exactly what I done. I put the .ov2 file into the POI section and the .bmp file into the "images" section and Not POI section Rolling Eyes

I did that first time too!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that in the latest version of MyTomTom they've added a few extra bits of helpful info, such as at the top there's a reassuring privacy note:

Quote:
The community content you add to your navigation device using this page is transferred directly from your computer to your navigation device. No data is sent to TomTom or transferred over the Internet.

And when you go to "Add POI", it now says:

Quote:
If you are uploading an image, the smallest image you can use is 16 x 16 and the largest is 44 x 44.

(although you do have to actually click on "Add POI" before you see it).
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
(although you do have to actually click on "Add POI" before you see it).
Great info, but isn't it given a bit late?
Stormtracker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I noticed the new additional help but I still prefer "TomTom Home" instead of this "MyTomTom". With "Home" you could at least see what was downloading/uploading etc

You can't see "MyTomTom" doing anything. Such as; uploading my Map Corrections for the still out-of-date maps they offer. Latest map Guarantee?? That's a joke. There's a major roundabout near me that was removed last August and replaced with a four-lane junction and yet, TomTom's latest map guarantee, still shows the roundabout.
georgemonaghan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: TT 820 - rating? ***** Reply with quote

Hi,
Just waiting for my unit to arrive. Seen/read a mixed reviews of the unit. How do you rate it in real use?

Thanks.

George
Stormtracker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: TT 820 - rating? ***** Reply with quote

georgemonaghan wrote:
Hi,
Just waiting for my unit to arrive. Seen/read a mixed reviews of the unit. How do you rate it in real use?

Thanks.

Hi George,

In real use, I find the 820 a great unit. The start-up is quick, the menu system is far better than earlier units.

The rerouting calculation is good for traffic but if you miss a turn, it will say, "Turn around when possible" too many times and gets annoying. If only it knew I was driving an 8 meter length vehicle where it's impossible to "turn around". However, if you ignore the "Turn Around When Possible", it will eventually get the hint and reroute you properly.

Oh and it loves sending you down narrow Country Lanes if it can Laughing Out Loud. Not good for indicator lenses on side mirrors haha.

To sum up, I drive about 1,000 miles per week and it hasn't gotten me lost yet. It really is a great unit, if you can put up with the minor things shown above.

Hope that helps Smile
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: TT 820 - rating? ***** Reply with quote

Stormtracker wrote:
It really is a great unit, if you can put up with the minor things shown above.
You mean like taking long vehicles down narrow lanes Shocked Very Happy
georgemonaghan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Thanks - TT 820 Reply with quote

Hi,

It's going in a car so hoefully not too much of a problem. The Garmin did the same thing - and when driving abroad that got quite hairy!!

Thanks for the post. Nice to know I wont get lost.

George
Stormtracker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: TT 820 - rating? ***** Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Stormtracker wrote:
It really is a great unit, if you can put up with the minor things shown above.
You mean like taking long vehicles down narrow lanes Shocked Very Happy

Yeah Laughing Out Loud. I know some Narrow Lanes from driving my car down them, so I won't risk taking the company truck down it. Yet, others look wide at the beginning with National Speed Limit markers. That is, until you get half-way down, then Rolling Eyes you meet a tractor coming the other way haha.

Maybe I need a Snooper Trucker SatNav Laughing Out Loud
Stormtracker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks - TT 820 Reply with quote

georgemonaghan wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for the post. Nice to know I wont get lost.

You're welcome George Smile

The upside is that this unit is very precise on reaching its destination. If you include a house number on your "Navigate to", it will get you to virtually outside that house number.

Only one big thing I dislike about these 800 series (and probably others that use MyTomTom). Is that you cannot plug it into your computer and access it to do a complete manual backup.

Finally, I have also noticed a bug within the "Favorites" in which I have brought it to TomTom's attention in which they are looking into. So there may be a System Software update soon.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks - TT 820 Reply with quote

Stormtracker wrote:

Finally, I have also noticed a bug within the "Favorites" in which I have brought it to TomTom's attention in which they are looking into.

Can you elaborate? Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: