Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Does the XXL Classic Western Europe read out street names ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Does the XXL Classic Western Europe read out street names ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Does the XXL Classic Western Europe read out street names ? Reply with quote

I had a look at an XXL Clasic WE in Halfords today and almost bought it.

Can anyone tell me if the XXL Classic Western Europe will read out street names in UK ?

Tom Tom website mentions it but I dont know for sure if it works or not.

http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/car-navigation/xxl-classic-western-europe/index.jsp

Going to buy something to replace my really old Tom Tom one V2 Smile

I dont need or want to pay for live services, just a normal sat nav with large screen and maps of UK and Spain that works.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that European XXL models do NOT have text-to-speech.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think SOME European versions do (they have an "S" after the name that "Home" reports), but not the UK one.
Marky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help.

It is disappointing that the Tom Tom English website clearly states that the XXL has spoken street names when it appears that it does not.

A screen grab:

Funnily enough I received an email offering me map updates for my 5 year old Tom Tom one for £74.95, just for map updates, do they think people are mad.

I have looked at some nice looking Garmin units with free 'lifetime' map updates but could not decide which one to buy.

Then I noticed Amazon having an offer on the TomTom one XXL yesterday at just £80.99 so I bought one as not much more than updating maps on my old unit.

That will do for now although it will probably be the last TomTom I will buy as other makes are ahead now.

I dont like the new model Tom Tom models as I need to be able to add lots of POI and that appears to be crippled in the latest models....

A link to Amazon if it helps anyone:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-XXL-Classic-Western-Europe/dp/B005M2AIY4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333786401&sr=8-1

Tom Tom did get my money but only because it was really cheap Smile
I wont pay new model prices for something with limited features.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marky wrote:

I dont like the new model Tom Tom models as I need to be able to add lots of POI and that appears to be crippled in the latest models....

That's not correct.

When the new models first came out, the PC utility program (MyTomTom) hadn't been finished, so there was no way to upload stuff, but that was sorted out ages ago.

You can now add POIs and manage them in just the same way as on old models.

------------------

As for the Text to Speech confusion, have you tried ringing TomTom and asking them?
It's either a website error (not the first), or it's always possible that the batch of old units they found in a cupboard and decided to sell are European spec and DO have TTS, or that they have remade a new batch and found it easier to include it than to take it out.

On the website, (under "reduce driver stress") it says: "Helping you to keep your eyes on the road, spoken instructions now include street names"... that might be a clue.

If not.... let us know and we can probably alert someone at TomTom about the website error.

P.S. I like the avatar image!
tomtommaniac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Text to speech Reply with quote

i think in tom tom home it rather easy to see if the device got computer voices it can read streetnames out for you but these voices are harder to hear (lower volume) than the normal voices

most of the time i drive with normal voices only when i have to go somewhere i nver been before but know a street name to go to i use the computer voices .

on the tom tom in voice preferences you can add where help is needed
on boht my xl"1" and Xl "2" and the TT go 720 i have them on :

read streatnames "yes"
read roadsigns "yes"

if you see a green marker on the screen something will be said so in head i look on the map too when i see something i have to hear i trun off the radio for a clear reception of the message .

and do not forget .. it is a tool , never follow the messages with out looking it is safe to do so.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: Text to speech Reply with quote

tomtommaniac wrote:
i think in tom tom home it rather easy to see if the device got computer voices it can read streetnames out for you

Yes Home can show you that *if* you already have the device and can plug it in.
In fact you don't even need Home, because it's pretty obvious when you look at the device itself from the descriptions when you go to "Switch voice".

But the questioner hasn't bought one yet! Hence the question!

tomtommaniac wrote:
but these voices are harder to hear (lower volume) than the normal voices

You surprise me when you say that.....
On every TomTom I've ever owned, the text-to-speech (or "computer") voices are substantially LOUDER than the recorded voices.
BritBrat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My XXl Classic speeks the road names.

tesco.com
seeway
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Does the XXL Classic Western Europe read out street name Reply with quote

Marky wrote:
I had a look at an XXL Clasic WE in Halfords today and almost bought it.

Can anyone tell me if the XXL Classic Western Europe will read out street names in UK ?

Tom Tom website mentions it but I dont know for sure if it works or not.

http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/car-navigation/xxl-classic-western-europe/index.jsp

Going to buy something to replace my really old Tom Tom one V2 Smile

I dont need or want to pay for live services, just a normal sat nav with large screen and maps of UK and Spain that works.

I was stumped using a XL Classic Western Europe 4.3", no spoken street names, went back to Halfords, they rang TomTom, turns out only when you select the Kate English voice (they're the only two I chose to keep on my device) then spoken street names works!
Very reluctantly leaving Jane voice after 4 years Crying or Very sad
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, it does say in loads of places that only "computer" voices read out street names, and it does tell you which those are, in the "Change voice" preferences screen.

Also, on my XL, if you choose Jane, you get a full screen warning that "You have selected a recorded human voice. Human voices cannot read out messages or warnings aloud..."
I'll admit that doesn't mention street names specifically, but it's a good reminder of the above.

As the XL Classic is a bit of a 'new version of an old model' the TTS voice functionality is new for the UK, so I'd be interested to know if it mentions that anywhere on your packaging or on any on-line manual that they pointed you to.
seeway
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
To be fair, it does say in loads of places that only "computer" voices read out street names, and it does tell you which those are, in the "Change voice" preferences screen.

Also, on my XL, if you choose Jane, you get a full screen warning that "You have selected a recorded human voice. Human voices cannot read out messages or warnings aloud..."
I'll admit that doesn't mention street names specifically, but it's a good reminder of the above.

As the XL Classic is a bit of a 'new version of an old model' the TTS voice functionality is new for the UK, so I'd be interested to know if it mentions that anywhere on your packaging or on any on-line manual that they pointed you to.

Hi again Andy_P,
Your keeping busy, doesn't mention it anywhere on the box.To be fair, it does state it on the voice selection screen for Kate on the device.I never noticed as I only have ears for Jane Smile
Will report back if I find any mention when next updating.
seeway
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seeway wrote:
Andy_P wrote:

Hi again Andy_P,
Your keeping busy, doesn't mention it anywhere on the box.To be fair, it does state it on the voice selection screen for Kate on the device.I never noticed as I only have ears for Jane Smile
Will report back if I find any mention when next updating.

Your right Andy_P, found another English voice for spoken street names, Simon.It does clearly state about computer voices announcing street names on TomTom home.
Might use him, Kate is a bit too quiet.
Thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: