Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Error 1008 when using LIVE services after updating software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Error 1008 when using LIVE services after updating software
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are ways around the boot loader issue which to be honest should be open for discussion after what this update has done, sure TomTom won't like it but who created this mess in the first place.

As for Boot Loader mine is currently on 5.5256 - Mike
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of ways round the bootloader issues - the easiest one is to not upgrade the bootloader in the first place by deleting the correct file before manually copying the files across.

There are of course other ways Very Happy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty? I only know one... (and it's still a bit problematic)
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least 2 more ways that I know of - one involves taking an earlier bootloader and modifying the version number to 0.001 higher than your current one, then loading that. Not for the fainthearted if you get the checksum wrong Exclamation

The other way I can't talk about.
PhilH1000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a restore via TT Home does take my 540 back to a previous version and the traffic works again. Pity TT customer support are not coherent enough to suggest such a simple short-term fix even when asked the question!

What an absolute cock up. I hope someone at TT is reflecting on this and ensuring proper procedures and people are put in place to prevent it happening for the third time. Suggest they also review the technical and English language training for their customer support team.

Awaits the proper fix...........
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilH1000 wrote:
I hope someone at TT is reflecting on this and ensuring proper procedures and people are put in place to prevent it happening for the third time.

I somehow doubt it, TomTom have never been good at learning from their mistakes, they usually have a sweep it under the carpet & ignore philosophy!
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilH1000 wrote:
So a restore via TT Home does take my 540 back to a previous version and the traffic works again. Pity TT customer support are not coherent enough to suggest such a simple short-term fix even when asked the question!

What an absolute cock up. I hope someone at TT is reflecting on this and ensuring proper procedures and people are put in place to prevent it happening for the third time. Suggest they also review the technical and English language training for their customer support team.

Awaits the proper fix...........

I've managed to restore full functionality to my 940 but there may be more to it than delete files/install files - I had no spoken instructions at first though managed to fix that by following advice from this forum.

Considering the various models affected and the varying skill sets of users TomTom is playing it safe by not suggesting a fix that can cause additional problems.

Right now I wouldn't want to be in their shoes...
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had backed up with explorer prior to updating to app 9.4 and map 885. I backed it again up after updating and realising there was a problem.

I then formatted the unit and copied back the first backup minus the map folder, then I copied back the map folder from the second backup. I've now got app 9.058 with map 885.

The only thing I can see I've lost are the PGPSW voice alerts for the database, I use Cameralert on my iPhone anyway so I'll probably leave it like that with just the visual alerts on the 940.
phillevy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've just installed an older version of Home, hacked the ini file so it wouldn't update - and have finally been able to update my map etc without having to install the dreaded Navicore update of Live death Rolling Eyes TT are so determined to force this upon us with pre-ticked yes boxes and emails still being sent I'm wondering if they have a sadistic streak. Just really feel for the vast majority of non-techy end users that will have innocently trusted them and be totally stuck with what to do - at best they can restore, but to the detriment of any other updates until this is (hopefully very soon) sorted out.
PhilH1000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sentiments and points above are spot on.

I lead an organisation that provides fairly complex services to the public in 150 countries. My name and personal (work) email address is included in every handbook given to every customer. I know immediately if anything serious is going wrong because my customers tell me and as CEO I take responsibility for its resolution.

Does anyone know of the contact details for named senior people at TT? I would love to write them a letter and ask others to do the same. They need to know personally what a poor service they have created. It's up to them if they ignore it but in my experience they would be very silly to do so as businesses can determinate very quickly and fail when the rot sets in.

Do any of the other Sat Nav systems have live traffic functions equivalent to TT as I am seriously thinking of changing suppliers? I was one of the very first TT customers, have bought TT traffic since its launch but am completely disillusioned with the TT now. I'll have to do some research then TT can stuff the many subscriptions I sign up to..........
Rickj2903
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philh1000,

I got these off an old forum, I know that Goddijn is still CEO but I am not so sure about the others still being in the post.

Harold Goddijn
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer

Corinne Vigreux
Sales Director

Peter-Frans Pauwels
Chief Technical Officer

Pieter Geelen
Technical Development Director

Alexander Ribbink
Chief Marketing Officer

Mark Gretton
Programme Director
PhilH1000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rick. I shall be writing to them tomorrow. Let's see if they reply!
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I read in this thread, TomTom have sold LIVE services to users when they know that they fitted faulty SIMs to some devices. If that is the case the obvious solution is the replace the faulty SIMs.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not certain that TomTom do 'obvious solutions' Rolling Eyes
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no requirement to replace the SIM card as that is not at fault, there are a number of SIM cards that were issued with early Live devices that contain a SIM card that requires specific code within the Navcore app in order to work, once this is added the SIM will work thus bringing back the Live services without needing any hardware change.

The sad fact is that this has occured before so it's a known issue, it shouldn't happen once but for a known fault to end up in a public software release for a second time is very poor form indeed - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: