Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A 1005 replacement in store in the near future?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A 1005 replacement in store in the near future?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
floepie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: A 1005 replacement in store in the near future? Reply with quote

I couldn't seem to dig up any announcements from tomtom regarding a possible successor to the 1005. Just thought I would pose a question here to see if any of you know whether there's one waiting in the wings.

I really like the idea of the capacitive touch screen of the top model, but wondering if it's worth the premium. I would think the glass screen to be brighter and more legible than the others as well, but I could be wrong. Any comparisons out there between the old school resistive screens and the touch screen?
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read the new screen is a great improvement when it comes usability but they're also very reflective so can be hard to see.

Although new models seem overdue I doubt they will address the shortcomings of the 1000/1005 so probably not worth holding your breath for!
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no information, but will mention an observation. TomTom often announce a new model with new software and features, but shortly afterward they update the firmware for the previous model too, matching most features.

Given that they don't appear to have finished the firmware for the 1005 series, it may just be that they do a new model timed with a major update to allow them to get PR. It would be nice if they could also fix the issues they foisted on us more lowly users (I have a 740) before then abandon us.

I predict that the new range will come out this quarter, and will have a new improved HD traffic software system that allows you to have the whole journey taken account of. It will be heralded as a great improvement, now allowing data up to 120km away to be handled as never before. Hurrah the press will say, lauding them with honours.

Sorry, got carried away there. But I'll be right. Confused
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
I have no information, but will mention an observation. TomTom often announce a new model with new software and features, but shortly afterward they update the firmware for the previous model too, matching most features.

From my experience over various TomTom models (520; 530; 550) they consistenly remove features with new models & promptly forget about previous models ie 740.

The new improved Traffic will probably cover your whole route provided you don't intend to travel further than the local shops Laughing
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new capacitive screen is very bright and clear, but is VERY reflective...

... and I didn't need to find specific angles to get those shots, they were actually taken to show the messy mount and I couldn't find an angle that DIDN'T reflect something.

Personally, I am so used to the resistive screen I find the capacitive screen very hard to use accurately. Those who are used to them on smartphones etc. may disagree, but with two models side-by-side on my dashboard, I make FAR more spelling mistakes on the new screen.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
they were actually taken to show the messy mount

It certainly is a messy mount, the connector on the bottom must make a tidy hard wire installation impossible!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dead right!

I actually left the cable dangling on the Go940 mount just to make it a fair comparison.
My normal "home-brew" mounting for the old model has the cable running out the back into the air vent, so it's almost completely invisible from the front.

I certainly couldn't do as neatly as that with the new one.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to create a neat dash mount for the Go-100X models using a Brodit Pro-Clip and Brodit TomTom iPhone mounting "Ball" however it does involve taking the supplied mount to bits, I posted details on here but can't find them Embarassed Here is a link to another web site where I posted the same information - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you'd still end up with that big multipin plug hanging out the bottom, wouldn't you?

That's the bit which I find so ugly.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
But you'd still end up with that big multipin plug hanging out the bottom, wouldn't you?

That's the bit which I find so ugly.

It's the the huge lump/connector sticking out of the bottom that I was referring to, seriously ugly - I hope TomTom do something about it in whatever they foist on us next
floepie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. So, it seems the 1005 has some life in its cycle. I do see a few shops specifically with "v2". Does anyone happen to know what differentiates this new version? Or, is it simply pre-upgraded with the latest firmware? Odd I can't seem to dig up much info on this...
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But NO NO NO. Wait. TomTom just tweeted how they have interesting things coming at CES. TomTom customers can hold off buying a bit more...

"#CES has arrived and #TomTom will be there too! This week we’re going to have some great announcements to share here with all of you."
pottsy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2398593,00.asp

Quote:
LAS VEGAS – TomTom isn't making any major announcements at CES this year.

Crying or Very sad

Still waiting for a replacement to my 750 Live that will look further down the road than I can (with my eyes)....
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"great announcements"
"major announcements"

You see, these are different things. They may not be major, but they are still great!

Or could it be that different parts of TomTom don't know what each are doing? Or maybe there is something coming later that they can't announce yet?

Ah well.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: