Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Connecting to Satsync with Li-ion battery
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Connecting to Satsync with Li-ion battery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spudh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Connecting to Satsync with Li-ion battery Reply with quote

Hi guys,

just picked up our third Active 10 for work today and went about updating the firmware. I found I couldn't connect to satsync with the LI-ion battery in place. I switched to AA batteries and updated it no problem. I can't remember having this problem with the other ones, anyone else experience this?

BTW we've found the Active 10 invaluable in our upland site investigation and forestry work. We get custom mapping for each job with ortho rectified aerial photography. The guys in Satmap Custom mapping have excelled in providing toggleable layers from autocad drawings overlaid on aerial photography and OSI mapping. I can't praise them highly enough. I think they should market this a lot more to professionals, you wont believe it unless you've ever tried to navigate through commercial forestry. To have your location down on aerial photography and plan your route using firebreaks and rides that you otherwise would not be able to use is brilliant.

I've searched for years to find a suitable handheld for the job and so far nothing touches the Active 10. The main gripe is viewing the screen in direct sunlight but my guys cut the side tabs off the removable screen and treat it as a flip cover. The glass screens are starting to get scratched from dirt getting trapped between the screens but we'll cross that bridge another time.

Spudh
rothers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can think is was the LiPol flat ? If so maybe it was sucking too much current out of the USB port and causing it to fail.

Maybe try charging fully with the mains adaptor first.

I use a LiPol and Satsync connects fine even with a partially discharged LiPol.
spudh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rothers wrote:
All I can think is was the LiPol flat ? If so maybe it was sucking too much current out of the USB port and causing it to fail.

Maybe try charging fully with the mains adaptor first.

I use a LiPol and Satsync connects fine even with a partially discharged LiPol.

You're probably right, the LiPol was straight out of the box on its first charge through the USB so it'll probably be fine tomorrow after a night on the wall charger.
fallenmikethebike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting to Satsync with Li-ion battery Reply with quote

[quote="spudh"]Hi guys,

just picked up our third Active 10 for work today and went about updating the firmware. I found I couldn't connect to satsync with the LI-ion battery in place. I switched to AA batteries and updated it no problem. I can't remember having this problem with the other ones, anyone else experience this?

BTW we've found the Active 10 invaluable in our upland site investigation and forestry work. We get custom mapping for each job with ortho rectified aerial photography. The guys in Satmap Custom mapping have excelled in providing toggleable layers from autocad drawings overlaid on aerial photography and OSI mapping. I can't praise them highly enough. I think they should market this a lot more to professionals, you wont believe it unless you've ever tried to navigate through commercial forestry. To have your location down on aerial photography and plan your route using firebreaks and rides that you otherwise would not be able to use is brilliant.

I've searched for years to find a suitable handheld for the job and so far nothing touches the Active 10. The main gripe is viewing the screen in direct sunlight but my guys cut the side tabs off the removable screen and treat it as a flip cover.

The glass screens are starting to get scratched from dirt getting trapped between the screens but we'll cross that bridge another time.
Have you tried applying some of that clear "helicopter rotor leading edge tape" to the screen when the units are new?
That's pretty tough stuff, and it can be renewed as it starts to blur, cheap off eblag as well.
Mike
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The glass screens are starting to get scratched from dirt getting trapped between the screens but we'll cross that bridge another time.

I gave up on the top screen long ago. Always getting water and dirt between the two so took the outer on off and have a screen protector film on the main one. I find it much better.
Satsync 1.525
spudh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LiPol issue was just down to a flat new battery, I've never had the issue since the first day.

LostMike wrote:
Quote:

I gave up on the top screen long ago. Always getting water and dirt between the two so took the outer on off and have a screen protector film on the main one. I find it much better.

We've tackled the issue in two ways. The same as you, I got the Vikiuti screen protectors for the main glass screen. I'd strongly recommend this to anyone. They're cheap and really effective. We still use the outer cover as a flip cover for the added drop protection.

We also got one of the bright orange water proof covers. These make the unit a bit more cumbersome but for our survey work the Satmap is out on bogs and forestry for 8 hours a day in all weather in muck and sh!t and these enhance the durability by an order of magnitude. I haven't actually used the outer cover in direct sunlight but then if its that nice you wont need it as bad. A good buy for a professional user but the downsides might not suit a casual user who probably wont need the added protection, the joystick is a good bit harder to use with the cover.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: