Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Upgrade advice - my 720T is dying!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrade advice - my 720T is dying!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a lot I'm afraid.
But he asked for advice on what model to get. He deserves to see both sides of the coin about the new models.
Xtraseller is a big fan, I would LIKE to be, but see far too many issues and missing features to be able to recommend them.

My advice would be to try a new battery in the Go720 first, that will cure the first of his problems and then see if the Traffic is still bad or if it was just a glitch.
I've seen some big problems missed on HD Traffic too recently.

For a new model, I'd get a 950 or search for a 940 (but I bet people are hanging on to those - I am!)
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's a helpful reply!

(I'm hanging on to my 940 too).
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't say I am a "big fan" but realistic

It is the best sat nav out there at the moment. Better than the 750, 740, 720. Better than the Garmin 3790. Better than the Navigon 8410 and better than the Navman 687

It plays me up that it is a little slow in the menu sometimes, that its not twice the screen resolution and its not a matt capacitive touch screen instead of gloss

But for now at least, its the only one I choose to use everyday, while letting anyone else in the team or my family use the other units
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
..........the people who have seen their new TomToms left without maps after trying to update them (read all the forums!) and who would like a way to fix it without having to send their units back to Holland.

Just thought you'd be interested to know, I was left with "no maps found" myself this evening, after a download to my device.
It took 5 hours of strife (with TT techs involved) to get them downloaded again.
bloater
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A slightly bizarre post this one, but only to be expected I guess, you have people that like them, and people that dont.

Personally, I was aggrieved when TT dropped the PDA solution, it worked fine for me.

I got a 730T, which did what I wanted it to do, got me from A to B, no problems. The battery died on mine too, within a couple of years of owning it, didn't fancy opening the unit up, so changed it.

I got a 1005, and apart from some firewall issues, can't fault it, for what I want to do with it, ie navigate. Yes it doesn't do some of the things my 730T did, but it gets me from A to B always, traffic works 99% of the time, and the range for me is ok and now extended to 100 miles. Any issues I take the next exit off, and it has never put me in a jam on my commute, I always have enough advance notice and can re-route. I know this doesn't suit everyone, but then how many users are there of TT products, and how many unhappy ones??

Now the bit that is going to cheese everyone off. If you don't like the modern TT's and prefer to stick with the older units, then I'm happy for you. If you want to navigate from A to B, then the new unit will do that, without problems. Adding POI's, it will do that as well. Updating maps, yep no problem for me. Download offline to the PC, then update the TT, no connection issues for me. Clearly there are some out there that rely on their TT just too much, and I worry for those that did the same job 15/20 years ago before sat nav. If you dislike TT sooo much, then either - Buy a map and do it the old tried and tested way, worked for years, or go and buy a better unit from someone else and leave those of us that are happy alone. I researched Navman's and Garmins, and to be honest, I don't believe they are a patch on the latest TT's, hence why I stuck with TT.

Clearly forums are only here for people to moan about latest products, and they are far outnumbered by happy users who don't post too often.

These are my thoughts and my thoughts only, I don't expect or care whether you agree or disagree, but I come here to get information, the speed cams etc, and get bored of the constant bashing of a product. You don't like it, then go somewhere else Smile

Oh, and back to the OP - What do you want to do with your TT. Get from A to B, then the new units will be fine. Do itinaries or backups - then the old units are for you. Horses for courses, pick the one that does what you want it to do.

Cheers.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and now extended to 100 miles

Except on the new units you only see the nearest 40 still.

If we didn't think that TomTom HD Traffic was the best there was available, or that TomTom couldn't do better, then we'd be out of here. But we know that the devices used to do these things, and we love HD traffic. Why shouldn't we want them to continue to provide the best they could?
Geoggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well just an update - i never got round to upgrading and Santa delivered a 1005 to me.

Having just read this thread again i dont know if i should keep it or exchange for the 750 live.

Has the range on the H D traffic improved on the 1005?

All i literally want it to do is a to b guidance but let me know that there is a problem on route for my bi weekly 200 mile round trip

Thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: