Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Urgent Advice Please - my 720 has been stolen.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Urgent Advice Please - my 720 has been stolen.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GaryL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:03 am    Post subject: Urgent Advice Please - my 720 has been stolen. Reply with quote

Can some of you TomTom gurus please advise me what to buy?

I travel to Europe a lot and find the POIs very useful, I especialy use the CamerAlert Speed Database from this site.

I have read that the new 1000 Range only allow one POI to be added at a time.

Will Tomtom transfer my MapUpdate service Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad to a new Model ?

PLease Help Next Trip to Europe in February.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Urgent Advice Please - my 720 has been stolen. Reply with quote

GaryL wrote:
It is now possible to transfer multiple POIs at the same time.

See This Post.

GaryL wrote:
Will Tomtom transfer my MapUpdate service Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad to a new Model ?
This is something that only TT can answer, but they seem to have been very helpful lately.

It seems that using the Live Chat facility on their Web-site seems to get the best response.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
GaryL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do people think of the tomtom 920.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
GaryL wrote:
It is now possible to transfer multiple POIs at the same time.

But only if you use Firefox, Opera, or Safari etc. as your web-browser.
Internet Explorer has a limitation/bug which means you can only install one item at a time.

GaryL wrote:
What do people think of the tomtom 920.

Very good.... but very old now.

Where are you seeing it offered? You'd have to spend quite a lot to update the maps to latest versions.

It DOES have the itinerary planning, mp3 player and FM transmitter that are missing off later models.
Stampy72
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Urgent Advice Please - my 720 has been stolen. Reply with quote

GaryL wrote:

I had my TT One XL stolen recently and brought a XL LIVE recently - can't fault TT for the LIVE CHAT system and their help in transferring my account over to the new device...
GPS v1.20, Boot 5.5138
Map : "Europe_North" v 900.4602
Lincslad
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar problem (and had the same device) as the OP. Sad I would like to buy a replacement before starting work again in the new year.

I still have the RDS-TMC antenna that connected to the 720 via a mini-USB connector. Should I bother looking for a new device that can use the antenna, or bite the bullet and go for a TT Live model of some kind? I would also rather avoid storage space issues - can any 'current' model still use a SD card for storage?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lincslad wrote:

I still have the RDS-TMC antenna that connected to the 720 via a mini-USB connector. Should I bother looking for a new device that can use the antenna,

Be careful, as there were a couple of different versions of the USB Traffic receiver .
Check for yours here http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/accessories/antennas-receivers/index.jsp and see what models it is compatible with.

Lincslad wrote:
....or bite the bullet and go for a TT Live model of some kind?

Only you can say whether the subscription would be worth it to you.
I find the Google search really useful, but the other LIVE Services a bit of a waste of time.
You may have seen some of the EPIC discussions about the reduction of "horizon" distance for Traffic reports from the LIVE services too.

Lincslad wrote:
I would also rather avoid storage space issues - can any 'current' model still use a SD card for storage?

At the moment in the UK, only the VIA models have uSD card slots and the software to use the slot hasn't been released publicly yet.
GaryL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: I bit the bullet.... Reply with quote

I have ordered a new 1005 Europe....I just hope it does what I want it do...Get me from home to Spain without getting lost. Tomtom say the wont transfer my Map updates from the 720T to the new device, they say it is not compatible.

Is there a Map update service for the 1005 ?
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: I bit the bullet.... Reply with quote

GaryL wrote:

Is there a Map update service for the 1005 ?

definitely yes once you update it should try and offer you or just have a look around it is there somewhere
Also not surprising TT are getting friendlier as they have been loosing many customers though poor poor service in the past
Lincslad
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy_P.

I'm looking at a "TomTom XL IQ XL2 V4 w/UK & Eu Maps". I think the SD card thing is a non-starter for the moment but the RDS-TMC receiver should be compatible.

Since I carry a phone and iPad around with me for connectivity I can probably manage without the other LIVE services, especially after reading some other comments about them. And since much of my driving is on motorways, the restricted horizon in TT devices probably wouldn't provide enough notice of delays for sensible replanning. But that's for another thread (or threads!); thanks again for the advice. Smile
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: I bit the bullet.... Reply with quote

GaryL wrote:
Tomtom say the wont transfer my Map updates from the 720T to the new device, they say it is not compatible.

What a con!! The cash you paid is not compatible with what? You paid for future updates, it should be easy enough for them to apply the balance of your cash to the new device. They just don't want to. I guess you just met up with one of their less helpful Support persons. (Unless I'm talking through my hat and there is no Map Update Service available for the 1005 - sounds a bit unlikely).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: I bit the bullet.... Reply with quote

GaryL wrote:
Tomtom say the wont transfer my Map updates from the 720T to the new device, they say it is not compatible.

DennisN wrote:
I guess you just met up with one of their less helpful Support persons.

Try talking to someone on their Live Chat support (I think you get there via theTT Discussions website) - that seems to have found more helpful people recently and they HAVE swapped map subscriptions for people.
GaryL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have given me the balance of my update service until end of April.. from what I have seen so far I like the device.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: