Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CF v BT GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CF v BT GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neutron
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: CF v BT GPS Reply with quote

I'd appreciate advice regarding advantage/disadvantage of CF v BT GPS receivers for use with an HP 2210.

Thanks
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer really depends on what you intend to use your system for. The pros and cons can vary dependent on each persons opinion.

If you primarily intend to use it for car-based navigation:
The advantage of bluetooth is the receiver is easier to position for optimal reception.
The disadvantage of CF is you have no control over antenna position (although some now come with an external antenna) which could cause you reception problems especially with athermic windscreens and as it leaves only the SD slot free it restricts your storage options.

If you intend to go walkabout with your kit:
The advantage of bluetooth is the receiver uses its own power (batteries) and therefore will not drain the iPAQ. It can be placed in a rucksack or jacket pocket without affecting reception.
The advantage of CF is it is neat being plugged directly to the iPAQ but does add bulk and has a clear view of the sky.
The disadvantage of CF is that it will draw its power from the iPAQ and therefore will drain the battery thus shortening the usage time.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
Artisan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Neutron

I've recently bought the Rikaline 6021 X6 CF GPS receiver for my 2210 using ttm 3. I wanted an all in one solution and have found it to be very good so far. I can't compare it to a BT set up other than those friends have. But I don't have to worry about keeping a BT receiver charged and although you can get cables to charge from the mount now, I didn't want any more cables than necessary. On the minus side, you're using the CF slot so that prevents you using it for anything eles and limits you to using an SD memory card. The BT can be positioned anyware in the car ie. on the back parcel shelf if necessary, to get the best reception.

Hope this helps

Art
semrots
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Neutron,

I'm a recent user of a 2210 with a Haicom 303E. Works very well - I use it in the car with TT3. To help the signal I use an external antenna which plugs in the receiver, but I just have it laid on the dash near the screennot external. Works well.

However, I have since discovered you can buy a 'slipper' for the Haicom which converts it to BT, i.e. the CF card plugs in to it. You can buy the CF and slipper seperately or as one package, and the CF card can also accept a cable to link it direct to the PDA it would seem possible for it to give you all 3 options, CF, wired and BT!!

As previously said if used in the CF slot it does take the power from the Ipaq, but mine seemed to last around 2 hours+ when on internal batteries alone (i.e. not in the car powered mount). Of course beauty of Ipaq is you also have the SD slot for the programs. I've had no issues with this so far, but some threads point to issues with various makes of SD card.

Hope this helps

rod
Hunnymonster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another point to consider is the likelihood of there being a CF slot on the next generation of PPCs at all, so you may end up buying a new BT GPS with your next PPC anyway.....

Of course you may take the view that by the time you buy your next PPC that you'll want a new GPS anyway :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: