Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - post code wanting house no
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

post code wanting house no
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: House number unknown Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I don't think you need to do EITHER of these.
You are correct. Still learning after all these years of TomTom ownership! Thank you.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: House number unknown Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
When it asks for a house number after you've entered the postcode, just tap "Done" without entering ANY numbers.

That always seems to take me to the middle of the postcode area.

That doesn't work on the 720, Andy. I know it's an old device, and it's a couple of years since the last software was released for it, but a lot of us are still using x20 devices, with no desire to "upgrade" to later models with all the problems they seem to bring.

I enter TN37 7NQ, then I have to select the road, which is Westfield Lane. The next screen says "House number:" with "1" prefilled. If I delete the "1" and touch "OK" I get "Please enter a number between 1 and 122", and can't progress any further without entering a number. I enter "60" as roughly the half-way point, and get directions to 60 Westfield Lane, TN37 7NG, which is some way from TN37 7NQ and the house I need.

I have postcode file v870. The other details are in my sig.
Samsung Galaxy S21
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 510 which is older than the 720. Postcode TN37 7NQ with no house number takes me to a point (N50.89480,E0.56624) on Westfield Lane about 150 yards East of the junction with Baldslow Down (a road name which sounds like an instruction to follically challenged drivers Laughing ).

TN37 7NG takes me to a point (N50.89326,E0.56022) on Westfield Lane between Ebden's Hill and Maplehurst Drive.

This is with map 875 and postcodes 865

ETA: Exactly the same result with postcode file 870 (I haven't found postcode file 875 yet).
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's how the 720 worked until a new application (I can't remember which) was released a couple of years ago, after which you had to enter a house number. I didn't go back to the previous version because the benefits of the new one outweighed that one advantage of the old one.

What Navcore have you got on your 510, Paul?
Samsung Galaxy S21
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
What Navcore have you got on your 510, Paul?
7.903 probably. Wink

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Richard. It was obviously a later release that created the problem, which seems to have been resolved on later models.

Fortunately I seldom have a postcode without a house number where I can't navigate to a point on the map instead.
Samsung Galaxy S21
rockin_plumber
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:

This is with map 875 and postcodes 865

ETA: Exactly the same result with postcode file 870 (I haven't found postcode file 875 yet).

Then look no more for these postcodes.....

Here they are!!!
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you rockin_plumber and molerat for the original post.

They were posted up by molerat whilst I was on holiday and I didn't manage to find them when I searched ther other day. I must have been having a bad day as I searched again just now and it found molerat's post Confused
CrispyUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to say thank you for this discussion as it's helped me understand why some sat nav users have had trouble finding our new location at work!

Our postcode is CV23 9LN which is a trading estate directly on the A45 London Road - this postcode covers the whole trading estate, and only the trading estate - which has one entrance/exit directly onto the A45 (there are no roads as such within the estate so it doesn't show on the maps).

I've got the iPhone TomTom app which is all I've ever used to navigate to work and entering the postcode and not entering a house number has always directed to exactly the correct spot to turn off the A45.

However I've just fired up my Go 720 and this forces selection of a property number, so natural logic is to try our unit number (6) which is rejected and offered a nearest number of 2, OK near enough. However this actually directs you to somewhere 4.9 miles away from us along the A45 - which is '2 London Road' - and the actual postcode for that property is CV8 3DW!

It appears that once you have selected a postcode - it then treats that input as if you'd entered it as a town & road name and offers the full range of property numbers for that road. So whilst the postcode CV23 9LN contains no properties with numbers, it maps to London Road which does have property numbers (albeit in different postcodes).

Unfortunately for us, London Road (A45) is a 10 mile stretch of road, running through CV23, CV8, CV3 and CV1 postcodes. Tapping the road on the Go 720 map view highlights this 10 mile stretch in green confirming the device is treating this as a single road. We're about 400ft away from the end of this stretch, so a bad number choice could put you almost 10 miles down the road from us. There is a bank of houses next to us, which I hoped we could 'borrow' a number from for sat nav purposes but it appears these are all named rather than numbered properties so of no use. The nearest numbered property I can find is 1.5 miles down the road.

So, thanks to this discussion, I can now see / understand the issue - previously I'd thought people were just making mistakes because it worked for me with the postcode on the iPhone app.

I'll fire out an e-mail to everyone next week so they know to advise visitors not to select a house number when navigating to us by postcode, and if their unit forces them to select a number then they WILL end up in the wrong place and should navigate to us by lat/long instead! Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: