Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Monitoring SatNav
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Monitoring SatNav

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naomi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Speed Monitoring SatNav Reply with quote

My mother is morally very opposed to speed camera warning systems. She is not a fast driver. However the silly woman does seem to keep drifting slightly over the speed limit, resulting in her getting a couple of NIP's over the last year.
This has not changed her mind on camera warning devices however... stupid or what? But, is there any reasonably priced satnav, that instead could be set up to shout at her if she ever exceeded the speed limit on the road being driven?
She seems more comfortable with that alternative approach, and it might just stop her getting lost quite so often. I get at least two calls a month from her asking if she should go left or right at the next junction.

Nao

Nao
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about other brands, but certainly most TomToms can do that.

There is a setting to have the speed limit displayed on the screen next to your actual speed (much more accurate than the car's speedometer!), and there is another setting to "Warn when travelling faster than allowed" which gives an audible warning.

You can also change the warning sound used, if you wish.

Two points to note though...

1. You should never trust the TomTom's speed limit data to be correct at all times. It's pretty good now, but there are still a good few stretches of road where the speed data is missing.

2. I said in the first line, "most"....
I think all TomTom's have the feature, but it would be wise to check in the shop before you buy, as some recent models have cut-down features and that MIGHT be one they left off.

Maybe choose a model you like the look of, and then post back here to see if another owner can confirm it.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And also the constant nagging if you more than 'occasionally drift slightly over the speed limit' can get really annoying Mad
6pts and £120? I would have thought that this would have converted her Rolling Eyes
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin warns you also, but no option to turn it and /or warning 'bong' off.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed Monitoring SatNav Reply with quote

Naomi wrote:
My mother is morally very opposed to speed camera warning systems. She is not a fast driver. However the silly woman does seem to keep drifting slightly over the speed limit, resulting in her getting a couple of NIP's over the last year.
I get at least two calls a month from her asking if she should go left or right at the next junction.

Nao

I'm sorry to say so, but those two factors indicate it's time for her to give up her driving licence - she's getting beyond silly into the dangerous range.

I will of course repeat my standard rant about "drifting slightly over the speed limit" - she's not slightly over, she's got a speedo reading at least ten mph over the limit, that's either deliberate or without due care and attention. How often did she "drift slightly over the speed limit" over the last year and NOT get NIPs? Evil or Very Mad

Go ahead, show her my post and ask her what she thinks.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On ttn7 you can add a voice alert, but as said not all roads have speeds on map, if you/she has an android phone then thier is a choice of apps that show a speedo and can set audible alarms for various speeds, these use the GPS signal so do not rely on map data, i presume similar apps for iphone/ipad etc.
Added: I note at least one does allow for alarms against type of roads, whether uk or not,havent checked
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iGO8 speed limits can be set to a % over the speed limit e.g for 30 set to +10% for 70 set to +5%, this stops it 'shouting' if she goes a few mph over the limit, plus of course speedos always 'over read' so if her speedo shows 30 she may only be doing 27 or 28. But it's been said, you can't guarantee the speed limits on all roads will be correct.

The big white circle with a red edge and big numbers on are a bit of a clue. Razz

If she gets another NIP tell her to Google PEPIPOO.
Naomi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the thoughts so far.

As regards whether she should give up driving, probably not. She is one of those 30 year, no accidents people, but has always found map reading difficult. In that time, those two NIP's are her only motoring offences ( including parking tickets).

Dennisn, Your " drifting over the limit" comment is interesting, and perhaps surprising, coming as it has from a forum, one of whose aims is to promote speed camera detection.
Let's face it, every single person in here who has bought any speed camera detection equipment or Satnav with speed camera files, or downloaded such files, is a person who knows he occasionally or perhaps regularly speeds, whether intentionally or otherwise.
Whether accidentally drifting over, or intentionally speeding, all are committing the same offence. I could, somewhat flirtaceously suggest, that all those needing someone to tell them to "take the third exit at the roundabout" are little different from my mother, who only occasionally needs such help.

So Dennisn, is it time for all of us in here to give up driving too?

Nao
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh c'mon Naomi. Make up your mind. Very Happy

First, she's got two NIPs in the last year, now she's a 30 year no motoring offences paragon? Actually, you are supporting my suggestion that "it's time for her to give up her driving licence" - after 29 years she's now getting inattentive and accustomed to exceeding the speed limits?

Then "I get at least two calls a month from her asking if she should go left or right at the next junction" now becomes "who only occasionally needs such help."

Don't take me too seriously, but do ponder both points. The serious one is whether you want (your?) little children playing on the street where she's doing 40mph when it should be less than 30.

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Border_Collie wrote:
But it's been said, you can't guarantee the speed limits on all roads will be correct.
Agreed. Of course there are quite a lot of places that the speed limits are wrong, and badly so, but I would suggest that I have found that TA maps are right for the vast majority of roads.

Now, not having a pop at Nao or her mum, lets analyse this 'slightly drifting over the speed limit' thing. The Association of Chief Police Officers recommend that to issue NIP for a Fixed Penalty Notice, the motorist should normally be doing a minimum of the speed limit plus 10% plus 2 MPH. at 30MPH this means no NIP under 35MPH in a 30MPH zone and 79MPH in a 70MPH zone. As most car spedometers under read by, on average, about 5% (or more), this gives an indicated speed of a minimum of 37.5MPH in the 30MPH zone and a tad under 83MPH in a 70MPH zone. I would suggest that neither of these figures is 'drifting slightly above the limit'. My interpretation of 'slightly' would be about 10% on my speedo, and this would not get you a FPN.
I got caught at 38 in a 30 so it 'was'a fair cop officer'. It was not 'drifting...' but inattention to my speed on an empty road with little traffic around Sad
But I think there is a bit of Off Topic going on here by two members who should know better (I'm one of them)
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
{SNIP}now she's a 30 year no motoring offences paragon
No, actually the word used (as I read it) was 'accidents'
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
DennisN wrote:
{SNIP}now she's a 30 year no motoring offences paragon
No, actually the word used (as I read it) was 'accidents'

We've all had no accidents - I haven't had a blame accident in nearly fifty years - each time the blame lay elsewhere - an idiot who drove his MGB-GT out of a side road, an idiot who drove his Cortina out of a side road, a pheasant which ran across the motorway and a deer which ran across the motorway.
Naomi wrote:
In that time, those two NIP's are her only motoring offences ( including parking tickets).
Using the phrase 30 year no offences was to demonstrate that if 29 years offence free changes to thirtieth year two offences, now might be the time to consider the position. If I start hitting kerbs, gateposts and bollards, I hope someone will tell me to take the hint. Rolling Eyes

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK already. I submit. Still Off Topic I'm outa ere
muniuni
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One poster above said that most TomTom devices have this overspeed warning. Does that include the TomTom One? I had a look but couldn't find it on my unit.

Dennis, I think Naomi makes some fair points. 2 Nips in a year is certainly not sufficient statistical data to suggest that someome's driving is deteriorating. No mathematical correlation can be made from just two data points.

If this lady has such a good record than maybe she is still driving to the conditions, as we all used to from way back, rather than tootling along clock watching.

But could I ask, in line with one of Naomi's points: Do you DennisN, use any camera detection equipment? And if so, do you intentionally speed, or are you guarding against occasionally drifting over? Or do you, like Naomi's mum, considerer speed camera warnings as an invention of the devil?

And before you, or anyone else asks, I do use the camera files, I do worry about slightly exceeding the limit inadvertently, I don't intentionally speed, and I think the speed camera itself is the devil's spawn.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno if the TT One does it - on my units, it's in the Preferences settings, in the Status Bar Settings, Show speed, then Show max speed next to speed. And another setting is to warn when going faster than allowed. With most units it will issue warning sound when the speed goes about 3 or 4 mph above the speed limit, bearing in mind the speed according to the satnav, which is more accurate than the car - so the alarm sounds when the car is indicating a speed far greater than the 3 or 4 over the limit. On my built in Carminat, however, it goes off the instant the speed goes over the limit by 1mph. Very good discipline in my opinion, others find it bad enough to turn it off!

Yes, I have PGPSW speed cameras on my unit and have done since I joined the site six years ago. Indeed, I was appointed one of the original group of camera Verifiers several years ago.

But oddly, I deliberately do not speed, deliberately do not drift over. I would say that my warnings come when I still haven't dropped below the limit when I enter a limit zone (the satnav is always inaccurate when decelerating). Before I became a Verifier here, I used to delete the 70mph cameras from my satnav, because I am intelligent enough to know that the maximum speed limit in this country is 70mph, no excuses, no need for reminders - my speedo reads between 5 and 10% over my actual speed so taking the ACPO NIP guidelines of 10% plus 2, 79mph on my satnav would be about 85 on my speedo and that's a VERY long way from drifting over 70. Sadly, I'm a bit on the side of Naomi's mum - camera detectors are not the way to go. I emphasise that's my own opinion and I have no part in the ownership or administration of the PGPSW site, Verifiers and Moderators here are unpaid volunteers with no financial interest in the site.

The most recent incarnation of PGPSW's CamerAlert, on my iPhone, is so brilliant, I can update it with a couple of taps, no matter where I am. And I have been on this site since 2005. It's a nice site, friendly, informative, helpful with satnavs, and I started contributing to camera data back then out of a sense of belonging. Occasionally I blow my stack about speeders, because I think they are irresponsible so-and-sos who deserve every penalty they get - but only occasionally. I would say I should get a life and stop using the camera warnings as a bit of company on the road, get out more. But at over 50,000 miles a year, I guess I do get out more than most. Laughing

My next door neighbour drove a beautiful Saab for years. Then she got a new car and on Christmas day I spent half an hour sitting in it with her whilst she learned how to switch the lights on and off. Then one day I went out with her to try to discover why a policeman had stopped and mildly admonished her - she had gone the wrong side of a bollard coming off a roundabout (and frightened the daylights out of me when she demonstrated!). She was developing one of the dementia conditions and I was able to persuade her to give up driving soon afterwards - a widow since WWII, she had no relatives. Her one and only accident in a zillion years of driving, was when she inadvertently stuck it into reverse in a car park instead of first. I'm not saying Mrs Naomi Mum has anything wrong with her, just worth watching - if/when I get dementia, I don't suppose I'll know about it myself.
And a satnav is not a dumbo machine, it's a godsend. I can do 500 miles without opening a cursed big book that lies flat on the passenger seat and takes a lot of effort to return my eyes to where I am - I haven't used them since I got my first TomTom in 2005 and I'd be horrified at the prospect of going back to them. I'm VERY good at map reading.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: