Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 1005 HD Traffic USELESS (and now older models too!)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

1005 HD Traffic USELESS (and now older models too!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going by my experience with TomTom they will just stick their heads in the sand & ignore the whole thing. I had this with the Fuel Prices debacle, first they told ME to visit each garage that I had listed as having incorrect prices or locations and then report back, but when I pointed out that it was their job to investigate they wouldn't reply to my emails and I've heard nothing from them since - I doubt their attitude to complaints about HD Traffic will be any different

I've just requested to join the Facebook group too
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
I had this with the Fuel Prices debacle, first they told ME to visit each garage that I had listed as having incorrect prices or locations and then report back, but when I pointed out that it was their job to investigate
But this is completely different. Petrol prices was a data error, and as such, it was, as you say, their job to correct. This traffic problem is the fact that they have deliberately strangled the correct? data that they already have. Shocked
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think any of us are expecting TT to acknowledge anything - they never have so why change now??

Maybe the PGPSW newsletter could cover this and ask people to join the facebook page - Social Media is the way to make people sit up and take notice now as it is organic and worldwide.

Lets see what happens by Monday and how many people have joined the facebook group.

Spread the word........ it is the only (faint) hope we have. Very Happy
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
IanS100 wrote:
I had this with the Fuel Prices debacle, first they told ME to visit each garage that I had listed as having incorrect prices or locations and then report back, but when I pointed out that it was their job to investigate
But this is completely different. Petrol prices was a data error, and as such, it was, as you say, their job to correct. This traffic problem is the fact that they have deliberately strangled the correct? data that they already have. Shocked

... and TomTom's answer to the data error was not to fix it but to scrap the service, which may be a little extreme in the case of their flagship HD Traffic service but I doubt that their 'Head in sand' attitude will be much different!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are two from today, taken in Rochdale and on the first one I'll swear that's a helluva lot further than 100 miles downloaded range? My destination was Stonehouse in Gloucestershire (driving miles 159) and the chequered flag is well covered. But it also shows as far away as Essex - well over 200 miles driving and surely far more than 100 crows miles? I have paid for the HD Traffic service and they're not giving it to me!

What is also relevant is that both my RDS-TMC devices were showing an incident of traffic delays at M6 J11-J10, 71 miles ahead, with 14 minutes delay, but that delay increased to 49 minutes as time went by!! It was not shown on the restricted range of the 550 Live and eventually showed up at 57 miles distance. Until then, the 550 Live was showing NO incidents, when there truly was a significant delay (it was on the overhead matrix when I joined M6 at the top of this route).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
pottsy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis,

That's a stunning one.

I have made it into an animated .gif - do you mind if I use it in my battle against TT?

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone from TT read this type of thread and if they do, if they take any notice of them. It appears not, but give them time Rolling Eyes

Nice little post on the TomTomGo foum. The bold is mine Rolling Eyes
Quote:
June 17, 2011
TomTom unveils HD Traffic 5.0

TomTom unveils their next generation in traffic information: HD Traffic 5.0 to give better traffic information, wider coverage and greater accuracy.

So my guess is tht you're all using HD 4 and a bit Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by M8TJT on Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
pottsy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
I wonder if anyone from TT read this type of thread and if they do, if they take any notice of them. It appears not, but give them time Rolling Eyes

Clickety click!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. I see. They are looking into it then. care to hold your breath Shocked
pottsy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

So far:

Support are raising it with their concern department.
Rosie (the UK Tomtom twitter account lady) is raising it with the team.
Kenneth (on their forums) is raising it with the team.

That's over about a month now, I imagine there will be lots more raising it with the team to be done yet, followed by terminal inaction. The software bloke will be far too busy trying to stop the crashes and write all the missing features on the 1000 before he has a chance to look at this.

Unless they all meant the PR team (of hundreds) who will currently be busy creating lovely graphics on Photoshop to explain how this is an improvement.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the "before & after" screen grabs, although the incidents reduce, it appears that the route remains constant. I don't have a modern SatNav so can't test this out. Can anybody confirm if the route actually changes? It may plot the route using all incidents and then just reduce the number displayed.

pottsy wrote:
Dennis,

That's a stunning one.

I have made it into an animated .gif - do you mind if I use it in my battle against TT?

Off Topic. How do you do that pottsy Question
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
pottsy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols,

No, it doesn't. It downloads all the data, then discards most of it, then uses the remainder to provide ETAs and re-routes. The 1000/1005 has a bonus feature where having discarded the data it further disregards some of the remainder.

I make animated gifs using Photoshop.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pottsy wrote:
No, it doesn't. It downloads all the data, then discards most of it, then uses the remainder to provide ETAs and re-routes.

Exactly, the routing calculations don't kick in until after the data is discarded, which is within about 5 seconds of the data being downloaded. I have watched the map (sad) and I can't see it downloading data outside of 50 miles and discarding it on subsequent refreshes of the traffic data (which if you are to believe TT are every 2 minutes).
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Here are two from today, taken in Rochdale and on the first one I'll swear that's a helluva lot further than 100 miles downloaded range?

What is also relevant is that both my RDS-TMC devices were showing an incident of traffic delays at M6 J11-J10, 71 miles ahead, with 14 minutes delay, but that delay increased to 49 minutes as time went by!! It was not shown on the restricted range of the 550 Live and eventually showed up at 57 miles distance. Until then, the 550 Live was showing NO incidents, when there truly was a significant delay (it was on the overhead matrix when I joined M6 at the top of this route).

Perfect example of the uslessness of TC Traffic as I know call it. You couldn't really get a better example than this. I too have incidents in London downloaded when in the Manchester area, then a red fez appeared and they were gone Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pottsy wrote:
Dennis,

That's a stunning one.

By all means,no problem, BUT I have posted it on your Facebook page and also sent it to TomTom in my Incident thingy with them. But the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned. (Your other animated GIF doesn't seem to work for me when I look at the Facebook page).

Here's today's further reply from them, to which I have replied with these screenshots and asked her "to contact me as soon as a resolution is available to this problem." I have to say that I find it hard to fully believe "truly understand your concern" when the English in the contacts is faulty.
Quote:
We truly understand your concern regarding traffic information not shown on your device for the complete route created. It is only shown till 40 to 50 miles.

Please be assured that we have taken your case has been taken as a feedback and we have forwarded it to my concerned department.

Our testing department will definitely work on this issue and will come up with an appropriate resolution regarding the traffic information.

I would like to inform you that it will take time, however please be assured that in near future we will definitely come up with an alternative resolution.

Thank you for your valuable time and for giving me an opportunity to assist you.

With Kind Regards

Sophia

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 9 of 27

Jump to: