Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - lost maps on TomTom Go 920
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

lost maps on TomTom Go 920

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theloft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: lost maps on TomTom Go 920 Reply with quote

I purchased this Go920 a few years back but have only used the UK maps. Now my grandson is going on a touring holiday in North America and I offered to lend him my device for the trip. However when I checked the database, there are no USA maps showing. I know they were there originally, but believe that they may have been lost when updating new maps from Tom Tom. Any ideas as to what I can do about this ? Sorry to be a nerd but not a computer expert, just an OAP.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you have owned your 920, have you ever made a back up of it onto your computer? if so, was it through TomTomHome or WindowsExplorer?
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might like to consider buying a new map from TomTom - the map on your 920 will in any event now be several (4) years old and if you're a nerd, downloading a new map from TT will be pretty straightforward enough compared to computer nerd stuff of recovering an old and out of date map from somewhere.

And we grandparents were put on this earth in order to spend our own money seeing our grandchildren right, am I right? The latest North America map is £39.95 - you'd be giving him at least that much pocket money, wouldn't you? Very Happy

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know how to connect the Go to your computer and browse it's memory with Windows Explorer?

If so, look on the TomTom for a folder called "North America"

If it's not there, do a search on your entire PC hard drive for the same folder.

It's worth a try......
theloft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you all for your very reasoned responses. With your help I have now managed to locate my North America maps. DennisN, yes they are 4 years old, but as he is going on a 3-week trip and also has the latest route maps etc. my reasoning is that these satnav maps will not have changed that much if at all, especially on the main highway routes, which is what he wants it for. OK £40 isn't that much but I have just splashed out on a new set of golf clubs for his birthday, and my wallet is still groaning. See my new request for further help !!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I refuse point blank to contribute anything towards your foolish pampering of your grandson and his silly game. I might have sent you a fiver towards a new map, but golf clubs? No chance!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: