Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 1005 HD Traffic USELESS (and now older models too!)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

1005 HD Traffic USELESS (and now older models too!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add fuel to the fire, has anyone checked the range on the older LIVE PNDs since the recent HD Traffic outage has been fixed? I am convinced that I have less range - I can only see incidents as far as Burton-on-Trent and Grantham area from Rossendale now, I am convinced I could see as far away as past where the M6 meets the M1 before.

I have a sneaky feeling that TT have 'fixed' this issue by removing functionality from the older devices, rather than increasing the range on the newer devices.

Can anyone who has a x50 and a Via or 100x check on this at rush hour tomorrow?
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 950 and traffic was back to normal tonight. I am at work tomorrow so will report back on the distance of incidents being shown on the map!

Steven

iPhone 12
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the thread about the HD Traffic outage, my XL Live only shows about 50 miles on the sidebar, but if you go to show incidents on route it shows incidents further away, and on the traffic map browser.

Not sure if it is different than before, need more incidents with decent delays to see if there is any difference. Probably just me being cynical as usual!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting Andy...

On a first (not very scientific) test on a route from West London to th north of England, I'm only seeing incidents upto about 50 miles away on the Browse map screen (set to show Traffic).

So my first impressions are that something HAS changed.

Shall we come up with a route we can both try at the same time, to compare notes?
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not Andy - where is Mike A when you need him eh?

HD Traffic worked fine all day today, but I am not seeing any data beyond 50 miles now. I know for a fact that when I used to come off of the south end of the M6 toll I could see incidents around London, much further than 50 miles away.

As luck would have it, I renewed my LIVE Services 2 weeks ago! If I had known they were going to cripple it like this I wouldn't have bothered as it is now kind of useless.

If I am heading to London I have a variety of routes I can take which are not too disimilar in journey times when there is no traffic, but if when I set off there is a major incident on the M6 around Birmingham (which I won't be able to see now until I am already heading south on the M6) I would nip across the M62 and down the M1 or A1. It now means I would have go down to Stoke and across the A500 etc to avoid it.

Not much point planning a route on a Friday evening - do you want to agree on a route for Monday rush hour - me heading to somewhere near London, and you heading to somewhere near Burnley??
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike A has been playing with Russian cargo aircraft (An124) again so I have been AWOL from here for a couple of days.

Pull the traffic map up prior to the device grabbing a connection and zoom out so you can see most of the UK, when it gets a connection for a brief second you will see traffic data for a large area which is proof the device is downloading the information. Circa one or two seconds later the traffic data outside a certain radius disapears from the display.

This means its down to the Navcore on the device rather than server side, it also seems a really stupid and backward step, the data is downloaded (so there is no network traffic saved) and the device is "blind" beyond the distance set by the supplier of the software.

I would much rather see a user defined area of interest based upon the destination, if you are travelling 50 miles traffic outside this region is useless, travelling 200 miles in the UK and it can make a really big difference. For example earlier today I wanted to go from East Midlands Airport to Blackpool, that really offers me two alternate routes:

A50/ M6

Or

M1/ M62/ M66/ M65/ M61/ M6

The M6 Traffic can't be seen from the departure point, neither can the M62/ M66 area all of these being notorious trouble spots on a Friday afternoon, today I had the opertunity to "phone a friend" to find out what the M62 was like prior to departure, otherwise it was "50/50" and gamble on the M6 being clear (which it wasn't).

Its a real shame the Navcore is messing around with the traffic data range as its making what was a decent service rather limitted in use these days, even the highways agency information fed via an iPhone (which is free) is a better bet for trips over 60 miles when you know its going to be busy - Mike
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told you we needed Mike A - you are a genius!

I can replicate this on my XLLIVE - incidents appear all the way down to Cambridgeshire, and then disappear after a second to leave me with incidents visible down to Nottinghamshire.

So the question is, when was this introduced? I might try going back to a previous Navcore than 9.058 - that reminds me, maybe I should update my sig!
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Mike A has been playing with Russian cargo aircraft (An124) again so I have been AWOL from here for a couple of days.

Pull the traffic map up prior to the device grabbing a connection and zoom out so you can see most of the UK, when it gets a connection for a brief second you will see traffic data for a large area which is proof the device is downloading the information. Circa one or two seconds later the traffic data outside a certain radius disapears from the display.

This means its down to the Navcore on the device rather than server side, it also seems a really stupid and backward step, the data is downloaded (so there is no network traffic saved) and the device is "blind" beyond the distance set by the supplier of the software.

I would much rather see a user defined area of interest based upon the destination, if you are travelling 50 miles traffic outside this region is useless, travelling 200 miles in the UK and it can make a really big difference. For example earlier today I wanted to go from East Midlands Airport to Blackpool, that really offers me two alternate routes:

A50/ M6

Or

M1/ M62/ M66/ M65/ M61/ M6

The M6 Traffic can't be seen from the departure point, neither can the M62/ M66 area all of these being notorious trouble spots on a Friday afternoon, today I had the opertunity to "phone a friend" to find out what the M62 was like prior to departure, otherwise it was "50/50" and gamble on the M6 being clear (which it wasn't).

Its a real shame the Navcore is messing around with the traffic data range as its making what was a decent service rather limitted in use these days, even the highways agency information fed via an iPhone (which is free) is a better bet for trips over 60 miles when you know its going to be busy - Mike

It's looks to me like Pottsy has highlighted a previously unnoticed downgrade by TT that is now being published and monitored by many. Smile
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:

So the question is, when was this introduced? I might try going back to a previous Navcore than 9.058

It may be that the Navcore has not changed, but each incident downloaded has (always had) an attribute of "useful range" or some such, and the TT servers are now populating it differently.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far as I can see, this CAN'T be Navcore related, if we are seeing a change in behaviour from a few days ago?
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like it isn't Navcore related as I have rolled back to 8.419 on the XLLIVE, and the behaviour is the same - I can only see as far as the East Midlands.

I think this needs taking up with TT as this is a serious reduction in functionality which renders HD Traffic useless to me. I may as well just have TP enabled on the radio and make my own mind up which way to go now on journeys of any further South than Stoke from East Lancs.

I have been able to see past Birmingham when departing from home previously.
blush
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Operating my 950 through TomTom Home brings the same results, the widespread traffic shows up initially for about a second then cuts back to the 50m radius.
Froggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe, with the new reduced functionality, it should be renamed SD Traffic Very Happy
blush
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good one Laughing

SD Traffic for milk float drivers, flower deliveries, traction engines and cyclists Laughing
johnm52
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking out loud - but if this is happening in Germany then they, on certain autobahns, are only getting about 20 minutes warning of incidents and any need to divert.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 5 of 27

Jump to: