Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Dreaded 1001 has struck
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Dreaded 1001 has struck
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave, Yeah, TomTom were intrigued by it as well, but also don't know what to suggest, other than return the device for repair or replacement.
RavyGravyDavy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you just hate it when you have to give up?! Mad

GO 940 Live V8.371, Live 1005
Tomtom Home V2.7 (hacked into thinking it is 10.0.0.0!)
Snooper 3Zero
Windows 7 Home Premium
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My GO740 seems to have started playing up again with live services, throwing out various error messages / excuses for not working.

I think error 1002 and 101 along with others were mentioned, all generally referring to sim errors.

Seems like it may not have been cured at all!

Has anyone any experience of returning the unit to tom-tom for repair /replacement?

My concerns are;

1 what do you get back, is it a new unit or someone else’s that they have bodged?
2 what happens to the map update subscription from my current device, do they transfer or refund for unused portion?
3 Same for traffic / live services, do they transfer or credit for unused.

I am toying with getting the 740 swapped and switching to iPhone tom-tom, then eBaying the replacement unit.
RavyGravyDavy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The errors you see are a function of Navcore 9.058 on a GOx40. It simply doesn't like the SIM on certain GOx40 series Tomtoms, so if you continue to use 9.058, you will continue to see these errors. What you are seeing are the first steps towards the terminal error 1001, where your SIM dies completely (see my previous post). Its exactly what happened to me.

If you wind back to Navcore 8.371, you will find that your GO will work fine, but you will of course lose the functionality you enjoy with 9.058.

Otherwise, I can't advise on the replacement process, I havent done it.

Your call.

Snooper 3Zero
Windows 7 Home Premium
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final word on this. I made sure the battery was completely flat, left it for 48 hours, then fully charged it and with power supply still connected switched the unit on in my garden where I get a good view of satellites and a good phone signal. STILL DEAD!!!!!!! So although it has worked for some people. it's definitely NOT a sure fire fix for the dreaded Error 1001.
RavyGravyDavy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think any cure could be guaranteed, as lets face it, you might actually have a dead SIM, but in the context of the 1001 error, its certainly worth a try as another 'tool in the box', before having to resort to returning the unit AND relying on TT Support (omg!).

Good luck with returning your unit, perhaps you could post back your experience with how you get on as adobbing is looking for a steer?

Snooper 3Zero
Windows 7 Home Premium
Mally1957
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put this problem through to support team on Sunday and received this reply today seems tomtom are aware there is a problem should we beleive though that there will be a fix by later today. Laughing Laughing

Thank you for taking time to contact TomTom Customer Support. My name is Samantha and we are always happy to help.

From your e-mail, I understand that you are unable to connect to LIVE Services.

Kindly confirm if I have understood your query correctly and please be assured that I will try my best to assist you.

Malcolm, I am sorry to hear that you have experienced error 1001 when trying to access LIVE services on your LIVE device.

This is an issue that we are aware of and urgently working to resolve. You may be able to access LIVE services later on today as it is an intermittent server issue.

In the meantime, I would recommend that you subscribe to the FAQ we have: http://www.tomtom.com/13356. We will update this page once we have resolved the issue. If you click on 'Notify Me' at the bottom of the FAQ, you will receive an email notification to advise you of the update.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you for valuable time

With Kind Regards

Samantha
The TomTom Customer Care Team

A now retired Tomtom 940 v9.541.3145439.1 OS:1493118, GPS v1.20 Boot 5.5120, West Europe Map v1025.9386
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK here's the latest update on this saga. I ordered a refurbished 550 GO which eventually arrived yesterday, Friday 15th. I checked it was working OK and all seems to be in order, other than the map V840. I phoned TomTom and asked if my map service for my 740 could be transferred to the 550. I explained that my Europe map V870 was stored on a micro SD card. The chap there said he would arrange for all services to be transferred to the 550 on Monday after he has spoken to his supervisor. He also said that "they" were sending out "brand new replacements" for any units with the Error 1001.
Anyway today I decided I should remove all extraneous files from my 740 before sending it back, things like PGPS speed camera files etc. Of course by this time I had removed the micro SD card and now the 740 was saying "No Map Found". I tried reinstalling a backup but now it says not enough room to install map, so I put the micro card back in; and here's the damndest thing ever, LIVE SERVICES are ALL BACK ON!!!!! This is using application 8.371 so I don't feel inclined to update it now to 9.058.
I'll phone TomTom again on Monday to let them know. So 22 days without Live Services and then suddenly alive again!
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be a "fix" for the problems with "No Live Services" on 540/740 Go Live devices. It certainly works on mine and I am able to replicate it at will. Because TomTom have already agreed to replace my 740 I decided I had nothing to lose by updating the device including the forced update to 9.058, and, you guessed it, it killed Live Services again. Now this is the clever bit? Attach the device to Home, select Manage My Go, look at items on device, select application and then remove it. Remove the device from the dock and try to restart; it won't because there is no application to get it going. Re-attach to the dock and back into Home, it will offer an application (8.371) update to your device; accept it and hallelujah, Live Services are back on. DO NOT accept any more updates from TomTom because it will force application 9.058 back onto your device and kill it!
Could be worth a try to anyone else having problems.
RavyGravyDavy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one other thing - remember you need to hack home into an earlier version to avoid the forced update to 9.058 - see here;

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=86507&highlight=

Snooper 3Zero
Windows 7 Home Premium
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psyskiesman wrote:
This may be a "fix" for the problems with "No Live Services" on 540/740 Go Live devices. It certainly works on mine and I am able to replicate it at will. Because TomTom have already agreed to replace my 740 I decided I had nothing to lose by updating the device including the forced update to 9.058, and, you guessed it, it killed Live Services again. Now this is the clever bit? Attach the device to Home, select Manage My Go, look at items on device, select application and then remove it. Remove the device from the dock and try to restart; it won't because there is no application to get it going. Re-attach to the dock and back into Home, it will offer an application (8.371) update to your device; accept it and hallelujah, Live Services are back on. DO NOT accept any more updates from TomTom because it will force application 9.058 back onto your device and kill it!
Could be worth a try to anyone else having problems.

Did you get your replacement unit yet?
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, TomTom have the unit back for testing, but have said if there is a hardware fault they will replace it with a New (Remanufactured as opposed to Refurbished) unit; takes around ten days. I'll post the outcome on here.
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

psyskiesman wrote:
No, TomTom have the unit back for testing, but have said if there is a hardware fault they will replace it with a New (Remanufactured as opposed to Refurbished) unit; takes around ten days. I'll post the outcome on here.

Hi

Did you get anything back from them?

My GO 740 seems to be acting up again intermittently and I am toying with getting it back to them for "replacement".

Anyone on hear tried tomtom via an iPhone 4?

If my GO 740 gets replaced I may just ebay and switch to iPhone 4.
I have unlimited data on my iPhone which works perfectly, which would get around any sim issues on these units.

Just don't have any experience of how you would/ could integrate POI files, of which I run many including of course the PocketGPSworld camera files.

Some further reading necessary!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adobbing wrote:

Just don't have any experience of how you would/ could integrate POI files, of which I run many including of course the PocketGPSworld camera files.

I use it on the iPhone4 and to be honest its no worse than a Live equipped PND, better still since the release of the iPhone app from TomTom there have been new maps and updated apps every three or four months all free of charge (no map update charges) although whether this will continue is anyones guess. The Live services such as Google and HD Traffic are cheaper than a Live PND because with the iPhone app you are already paying for the data connection as part of your iPhone contract.

No issue with the GPS receiver in the iPhone4 and it doesn't need an external GPS built in to a car mount, unlike the earlier iPhones which weren't very good from my experiance

Your iPhone needs to be powered from the car in order to use any GPS related nav app as they are very power hungry when in use, I use a Brodit active holder for mine.

For PGPSW cameras you have a couple of choices, put the CamerAlert app on your iPhone and run that in the background with TomTom on the screen or load the camera files to the iPhone app as detailed in the sticky thread located in the Apple Software forum section of this site.

If you want to load other POI files then it is possible but you need to convert the icon to true png file type and they display better on the iPhone4 if resized to 44x44.

The speaker volume can be a bit of an issue depending upon how loud your car is when driving, I play the whole lot through the car speakers using a Bluetooth A2DP system called iO-Play, works a treat - Mike
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
adobbing wrote:

I use it on the iPhone4......

Thanks Mike

Sounds interesting!

I think I have some reading to do!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: