Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Dreaded 1001 has struck
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Dreaded 1001 has struck
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't take the credit for it.... it's how TT do the SIM CARDS in all their test units.
RavyGravyDavy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adobbing wrote:
had a good poke around under the sticker, there is a rubber blanking plug which when removed revealed a deeply recessed sim card in socket.

not really able to do much with it because i was limited to tweezers from a swiss army knife, which don't grip that well.

It didn't seem loose or dislodged at all though.

anything else worth trying?

Had the same on my GO 940...cured it by completely flattening the battery..details here:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=84557&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=210

btw, given up the constant battle with 9.058 and forced updates via home on that unit today and bought a Live 1005....I have to say I'm quite impressed despite all the bad press!
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now run out of options. A whole week has now passed without Live Services and totally unable to connect at all. TomTom suggested all the usual things, all to no avail, so this afternoon I phoned their customer support. Now here's the crunch; they admitted they had no idea what is causing the Error 1001 problem, and they are automatically replacing any units sent back to them. So, I'm going to buy a new model and then return my GO740 for a replacement which I will keep as a spare.
franb
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psyskiesman wrote:
I have now run out of options. A whole week has now passed without Live Services and totally unable to connect at all. TomTom suggested all the usual things, all to no avail, so this afternoon I phoned their customer support. Now here's the crunch; they admitted they had no idea what is causing the Error 1001 problem, and they are automatically replacing any units sent back to them. So, I'm going to buy a new model and then return my GO740 for a replacement which I will keep as a spare.

Did you not try to remove/re-insert the SIM card? That worked for me!
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, tried that. No joy. My device just seems to have given up on Live Services. RIP!
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine did the 1001 a while back and a clearflash and a full restore from an explorer backup cured it.
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, did the clearflash on TomTom's advice; it didn't help. Already installed from a backup from October 2010. Obviously Home didn't like it and wanted to update application to 9.058. I declined and tried running on 8.371 but no go! Updated to 9.058 just for the fun of it; still no Live Services. I have now bought a refurbished 550 Live and will return the 740 Live for replacement by TomTom. It will be handy to have a spare in case of future problems.
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update on my experience of this isuue!

After flattening the battery and leaving it alone for a day, I tried it again and magically the live services came back on almost instantly!

So if anyone is still getting this issue might be worth a try...

Leave it switched on with no power attached, then wait for the battery to run out and the unit to switch itself off.
Give it a day without applying any charge and then power it up again with charge attached.
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psyskiesman wrote:

Do they send you a brand new unit or a refurb?

How would this affect any remaining subscriptions for map update and live services, would they transfer these over?
RavyGravyDavy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adobbing wrote:

After flattening the battery and leaving it alone for a day, I tried it again and magically the live services came back on almost instantly!

Leave it switched on with no power attached, then wait for the battery to run out and the unit to switch itself off.
Give it a day without applying any charge and then power it up again with charge attached.

...thats why I recommended flattening the battery in my earlier post, as it certainly worked for me and several others - the trick I found was to completely flatten the battery by running it down, then repeatedly turning it on until it wont turn on any more. Leave for 24 hours, then charge it up and turn on - for some reason that does the trick.

I also wound back to Navcore 8.371 as a precaution - as I also found that the 1001 error was due to 9.058 - mine has continued to work perfectly with 8.371 ever since.
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavyGravyDavy wrote:
adobbing wrote:

...thats why I recommended flattening the battery in my earlier post, as it certainly worked for me and several others - the trick I found was to completely flatten the battery by running it down, then repeatedly turning it on until it wont turn on any more. Leave for 24 hours, then charge it up and turn on - for some reason that does the trick.

I also wound back to Navcore 8.371 as a precaution - as I also found that the 1001 error was due to 9.058 - mine has continued to work perfectly with 8.371 ever since.

worked for me!

no need (or opportunity) to roll back the navcore though!
RavyGravyDavy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it worked ok for you, and I wish I had your luck with 9.058, as it just kept locking up my GO 940, hence why I had to roll back. As I have now bought a 1005 unit, I have kind of given up on it anyway.

Dont know why, there seems to be a lot of scepticism around about flattening the battery to reset the SIM after a 1001 error, but as you (and I) found, it certainly seems to work.
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavyGravyDavy wrote:
Glad it worked ok for you, and I wish I had your luck with 9.058, as it just kept locking up my GO 940, hence why I had to roll back. As I have now bought a 1005 unit, I have kind of given up on it anyway.

Dont know why, there seems to be a lot of scepticism around about flattening the battery to reset the SIM after a 1001 error, but as you (and I) found, it certainly seems to work.

Worked for me too when my 940 caught it; I think possibly some people aren't completely flattening the battery ie until the ON button does absolutely nothing.
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely made sure mine would not switch on at all, left it overnight then charged it before switching on. Also tried doing this AND driving 30 miles away before switching on; all to no avail. The only other thing I haven't done is leave it flat for over 24 hours, but I'll try that this weekend. I thought I might have had a breakthrough at the beginning of the week; I removed the rubber plug in the bottom of the device and wiggled the SIM card again with a wooden lolly stick, and now the Error 1001 message has disappeared. Instead I am getting a permanent message "Unable to connect to Live Services. Please try again later". Any thoughts on that anybody?
RavyGravyDavy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that to be the first step in getting to the 1001 (SIM dead) error on my Go 940 with 9.058 installed, which happened in two stages;

1. Initially, after installing 9.058, as well as the slow boot ups, if I passed through a weak signal area, my Traffic bar would disappear, and when drilling down, my 'HD traffic' icon would change to just 'Traffic'. When checking 'Services' it would show the error message you mention. Unlike when it loses signal with 8.371, which simply recovers when regaining signal, with 9.058 it would stay in this degraded state, for a long time, often for up to an hour.

2. This happened daily on my run to work when passing through the weak signal areas, until one day it just died with the 1001 error - which was when I came across the 'flatten the battery' solution to recover it.

Given that you are at (1) rather than (2) now, that would suggest to me that your SIM is now partially working at least...? Damned if I know what to suggest from there though...

GO 940 Live V8.371, Live 1005
Tomtom Home V2.7 (hacked into thinking it is 10.0.0.0!)
Snooper 3Zero
Windows 7 Home Premium

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: