Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Latest Map version
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Latest Map version
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
g0tch
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Latest Map version Reply with quote

Had email from TT on 28th last month saying that the new map is available but every time I put my card in, home does not offer me anything. The version of map I have on my card is v860.3101 (as per signature)

If there is later one, how can I download it?

Regards,
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you logging into Home 2 with the same email address used to receive the map notification from TT? And are you going to 'Update my Go'??
anchor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: adding new maps Reply with quote

The latest map is 8.70, (map 8.65 came out in Feb: 2011).

This is the method recommended by TomTom:

http://tinyurl.com/6kz45mj
g0tch
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
Are you logging into Home 2 with the same email address used to receive the map notification from TT? And are you going to 'Update my Go'??

I’ve only ever had one email address registered with TT and it’s the one I got the email on. When I insert the card it automatically goes into updates and it only offers QuickGPSfix and their cameras etc. Same as when I use ‘Update My Go’.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Update my Go" only adds any free or already paid-for content (such as the QuickGPSfix and their cameras, which you mentioned)....

You need to go to "Add Maps" to buy a new one.

-----------------------

Also, you mention "putting my card in". Into what?

For Home to recognise a device you either need to put the card into the Go and select "memory card" when Home starts up, or you need to have the entire TomTom file system loaded onto the card, in which case you can use a card reader and Home will recognise it like the complete TomTom hardware.
g0tch
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
"Update my Go" only adds any free or already paid-for content (such as the QuickGPSfix and their cameras, which you mentioned)....

You need to go to "Add Maps" to buy a new one.

-----------------------

Also, you mention "putting my card in". Into what?

For Home to recognise a device you either need to put the card into the Go and select "memory card" when Home starts up, or you need to have the entire TomTom file system loaded onto the card, in which case you can use a card reader and Home will recognise it like the complete TomTom hardware.

Not sure how to split up quotes to answer separately. Embarassed

Assume that the email is in response to my buying the quarterly maps. Paid for it 05-12-2010.

On the internal memory I have v845.2645 installed and on the card I have 860.3101. The card has, I believe, the full system loaded. When inserting in the card reader TT home recognise it and looks for updates.

Hope this clarifies.

Regards,
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you need to contact TomTom (phone number in my signature). Guesswork on my part, but you haven't got map 865 on your device (card), you must have missed getting the v865 issue, so computer logic TT doesn't recognise that you are due for the next map 870!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g0tch wrote:

Hope this clarifies.

It does indeed! I hadn't realised you'd already bought the map subscription.

It might be worth rationalising what you've got where....

It sounds like you might possibly have different software versions (as well as different map versions) on the internal memory and on the SD card.

I'm just mentioning it because Home only needs the slightest excuse to get confused!

You can check by starting up the TomTom without the card inserted and hitting the reset button then reading the software version on the "Show version info" menu.

Is it the same as when you do the same but with the SD card inserted?

Next questions are:
1. Any reason why you are keeping the old map on the internal mem?
2. Any reason why you can't try using the 730 itself to do the update, instead of a card reader?

Personally, I would move the old map off the device completely, install all the software and voices on the internal memory only and just have the map on the SD card.
Then I would try the update as per question 2 above, i.e. connect the Go itself to the PC (with the card in the slot. Run Home and tell it to use the SD card for the update.

I'm not sure if it will make ANY difference to the main problem, but it's worth a go!
g0tch
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

You can check by starting up the TomTom without the card inserted and hitting the reset button then reading the software version on the "Show version info" menu.

Is it the same as when you do the same but with the SD card inserted?

I did do as you suggested and all was the same as before.

Quote:
Next questions are:
1. Any reason why you are keeping the old map on the internal mem?

It was the last version that fitted on the internal memory so got left on just in case.

Quote:
2. Any reason why you can't try using the 730 itself to do the update, instead of a card reader?

I did try that but for some reason I wasn’t offered the update for the card and it wouldn’t fit internal.

What I tried was to delete the map folder from the card and then I was offered the update but it just hang on that page when I clicked ‘Update and Install’

Deleted everything from card put it in the unit and chose to update to card with the same result.

Deleted everything again from card, copied all files from internal memory to card, put card in the reader and was offered update and it downloaded 870.3406.
The only thing that was different on the card that it was renamed Western and Central Europe SD. I wonder if that made a difference.
So now I still have 845 on the unit and 870 on the card. What is the norm to optimise the unit with just the latest map?
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi g0tch,

I've got a TomTom 950 and I currently have the following maps on it:

Internal Memory
Europe (v865.3244)

Micro SD Card (4GB)
North America 2GB (v845.26459) NB was originally on internal memory but moved for necessary space.
Europe (v860.3102)
Europe (v855.2885)

I leave the name of the map folders on internal memory their original name.

When I move them to the Micro SD Card, I rename the folder with the map's version as a suffix, i.e. Europe v860.

I then edit the part of the .PNA file within the renamed folder (i.e. Europe.pna) from "ID=Europe" to the version number i.e. "ID=Europe_v860_(card)".

When I switch maps, I can tell which version of the Europe maps to choose from and where they are located (in the case of the SD card ones).

Why do I choose the have a few different versions of the Europe map on my TomTom 950? Well it's so I can compare maps.

When I connected the 950 to Home, I wasn't offered the latest map. So I:
1. Removed the Micro SD card
2. Used TomTom Home to delete all maps from the computer and not the TomTom 950 unit.

This brought up the option to download the 870 maps, but I still had to:
3. Delete the Europe map folder from the 950's internal memory via Windows Explorer - this was to give enough space to download the map.

I've started to download the new Europe map (v870.3460, 2306 MB) an hour or so ago and I'm on a slow broadband connection!

Once installed, I shall need to manually move my 90 or so POIs into the new map folder.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi g0tch,

Update

Well, my TomTom 950 now has the latest maps working on it. Not only that - but Traffic is still working - amazing! I currently have the following maps on my TomTom 950:

Internal Memory
Europe (v870.3460)

Micro SD Card (4GB)
North America 2GB (v845.26459) NB was originally on internal memory but moved for necessary space.
Europe (v865.3244)
Europe (v860.3102)

I deleted the Europe (v855.2885) map from the Micro SD Card, in order to make way for the Europe (v865.3244) map.

g0tch wrote:
The only thing that was different on the card that it was renamed Western and Central Europe SD. I wonder if that made a difference.

Unfortunately I think that you may have downgraded from the full Europe map to a smaller "zone" called Western and Central Europe.

I had to delete the "Europe" map from my 950's internal memory for the new full Europe v870.3460 map to fit. Unfortunately this means having to copy the POIs across manually because the Europe folder is effectively a brand new one.

It is extremely annoying that TomTom have changed the system so that you need the full size of the new map to be free before you can now download the new map. If you don't have the free space then you are offered smaller "zoned" maps to choose from.

TomTom Support wrote:
I do understand that previously the map used to overwrite itself and upgrade it to the latest version but due to the size increase the maps are offered in zones for installation. While installing the map it can delete the map currently on the device which can be useful to you. So the map update automatically recognises the space available on the device if the map size exceeds the available space on the device the map update is not offered.

You can backup the map 8.65 on your computer and then remove it from your device to isntall the latest map.

By the way, don't back up using TomTom Home, use Windows Explorer!

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
g0tch
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for their input.
Everything appear to work ok, though not had a chance to test on a run as yet.
The info I was after whether to keep the old map (v845) on the unit and just use the card (v870) or perhaps there is a better way to utilise the unit?

I appear to have the full Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB on the card.

Regards,
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g0tch wrote:
The info I was after whether to keep the old map (v845) on the unit and just use the card (v870) or perhaps there is a better way to utilise the unit?

The v845 map is quite old, when compared to the new v870 one. However there is no reason why you shouldn't leave things alone.

Personally, I keep the map that I use most on the internal memory and keep the rest of the maps on the card.

Have a play around with the location of the maps, if you have a fast card (I think class 6 or above) then you probably won't notice any calculation speed difference between maps on the card against maps in internal memory.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
Personally, I keep the map that I use most on the internal memory and keep the rest of the maps on the card.
I keep the Western zone with all my UK POIs on the device and use that in the UK. The card has the whole of Western Europe and the USA with their respective POIs for use in those countries.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:

Unfortunately I think that you may have downgraded from the full Europe map to a smaller "zone" called Western and Central Europe.

No... If you have to use a zone they are called things like "Southern Zone" or "Central Zone".

For some reason the FULL map for the x40 models is called "Western and Central Europe", while the full map for the x50 models is called "Europe".

The country coverage seems to be the same, but they are compressed slightly differently.
Looking at the v865 versions, the "Europe" map folder is slightly smaller in total.

The main map files (cline.dat and cnode.dat) are smaller in 'Europe' and faces.dat is MUCH smaller, but cname.dat is bigger!

However, there seem to be slightly more POIs on the 'Europe' map, and there is a large file called 'citymap.dat in the Europe folder that is missing completely from the Western Europe folder.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: