Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Upgrade time... But which one?!???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrade time... But which one?!???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unseen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:20 am    Post subject: Upgrade time... But which one?!??? Reply with quote

My old reliable 930T is beginning to give up the ghost not charging when connected (hard reset doesn't fix it) and the annoying continuous crashing when trying to use bluetooth have finally made me bite the bullet..

But when I started looking at all that is new and shiny in TomTom world it gets confusing just too many to choose from so I need a little advice. All I need it to do is:

1 Map UK & Europe
2 Bluetooth would be handy but not essential
3 PGPSW Camera database POI essential
4 Other POI's (CC&C sites, Supermarkets) essential (were a lifesaver last time we went camping!)
5 Traffic would be nice... The RDS traffic on the 930 was ok but the aerial was just no..
6 Navigating the deepest & darkest parts of France essential! Well that's this years holiday destination and for most of it were down in the Ardeche region.

I haven't set myself a budget as such but would like to stay in the realms of reason incase SWMBO finds out how much I spent!!

I was looking at the refurb 750's? on TT but Costco have had the Live units in and I just can't seem to choose so any buyers advice welcome or if there's a specific unit that fits the bill?

Thanks,
Rob
jmcmtank
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 930 and bought the 1000, then almost immediately the 1005 because of the bigger screen. There's not much difference between prices for the 1000 Europe and the 1005 which comes with European maps anyway. Word of caution; in it's day the 930 was top of the range and came with remote control etc, but the new units just come with a cable and mount.
I ran the 930 with traffic via a mobile at the same time as the 1005 because custom POIs were not initially available. The navigation experience is really night and day; the 930 seemed to crawl compared to it's newer sibling when planning a route.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The refurb 750 from TomTom Outlet Store meets all your requirements and includes a year free Live services - the HD Traffic is far superior to RDS-TMC and will also work in France. There's really only one disadvantage to it - you don't get the Latest Map Guarantee AND the latest maps don't fit the internal memory you get bits of Europe instead of the whole lot on the internal memory and the rest on your computer so that you can connect and swap zones. You can easily overcome the zones problem by getting a micro SD card of at least 4GB, then you get the lot in one go - you'd find swapping zones on your travels difficult unless you have a laptop that'll work anywhere in Europe.

Problem with 1000/1005 seems to be difficulties loading POIs. It wasn't even possible when they first came out and the recent changes making it possible allow you only to install one POI at a time - that's maybe 32 installation efforts to install the PGPSW speed zoned cameras for UK and more for Europe (install 20mph cameras, then install 30mph, then 40mph and so on). You can't see the devices in Windows Explorer (or Mac Finder), so no copy and paste and no copy/paste backups. They have a new development of Home which is being a bit naughty, from what I read elsewhere on this site. Have a look at Darren's review and then branch out reading other related threads.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
jmcmtank
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Problem with 1000/1005 seems to be difficulties loading POIs. It wasn't even possible when they first came out and the recent changes making it possible allow you only to install one POI at a time - that's maybe 32 installation efforts to install the PGPSW speed zoned cameras for UK and more for Europe (install 20mph cameras, then install 30mph, then 40mph and so on).

You can be forgiven for missing YamFazMan's brilliant find http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=87343
You can now do them in the one go.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With respect, it wasn't exactly "a brilliant find"....
He just (maybe) mentioned it here before anyone else did.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmcmtank wrote:
You can be forgiven for missing YamFazMan's brilliant find
As a matter of fact I had NOT missed his find, but at the time I posted here, it had only his statement and your comment that you couldn't work it. Indeed he himself didn't seem to have done it without some effort - which might have been some secret method which only he could fathom. I then had to go deal with the mysteries of flat pack outdoor furniture, so without some more widespread posts on the matter, I judged it wiser to leave him to "branch out reading other related threads". Note I also raised the matter of backups which seems to be still a problem.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
unseen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply's so far...

I remember when I got the 930 thinking WOOO top of the range model! Only for the 950 (or was it 940?) to come out within months.. *sigh!*

Apart from being cheaper.. Is there any downside to getting the 750 over the 1005? I've read the issues with loading POI's and thanks for the link showing it's "fixed".

I'm like most average users I guess in that it gets dusted off once in a blue moon for days out or for holidays. So I guess I' wondering how long they'll likely support the 750?

Rob
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want my opinion.......

The 50 series is history...It's a dinosaur of satnav.

I can't see much more support happening for the old 50 series.

The GO 1000 is much faster on route planning, and it doesn't reboot like some older satnavs.

I have lost count of the number of recent improvements on the GO 1000 series, and all have been positive.

Ok, we still don't have Mapshare yet..., but that's no great loss when it took 4 years to get a reply to my update!
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See mikealder's post here. There's no sensible backup & restore facility on the GO 1000 models.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a GO 950 and GO 1000. Much prefer the 950. The Home application for the 1000 is too flakey still, not reliable, and there is NO way to make a backup if something goes wrong.

The 1000 is indeed faster, but I also dislike the new screen where only a finger works. The 950 I can use a pen, which is great for all the mapshare corrections I submit!

My advice, get the 750 with a year of HD traffic!

Steven

iPhone 12
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:
If you want my opinion.......

I can't see much more support happening for the old 50 series.

The GO 1000 is much faster on route planning, and it doesn't reboot like some older satnavs.

I have lost count of the number of recent improvements on the GO 1000 series, and all have been positive.

Ok, we still don't have Mapshare yet..., but that's no great loss when it took 4 years to get a reply to my update!

Most modern electronic is 'history' within months of release just like the x30 x40 & x50 TomTom, and no doubt there will be another model released soon replacing the 1000 series, consigning that to history too, but providing it works, does the job for which it was intended & continues to receive manufacturers support does it really matter??
Bjalf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
technik wrote:

Most modern electronic is 'history' within months of release just like the x30 x40 & x50 TomTom, and no doubt there will be another model released soon replacing the 1000 series, consigning that to history too, ...

With the short lifespan, a GPS would be more like a Mayfly then, than a dinosaur? Laughing And don't knock the Dinosaurs, they stuck around for a very long time indeed, and they're still around. So I don't really see the downside.

Seriously, if I have to choose between tried and tested, and brand new, shiny and leading edge, then I tend to stick with the old.
unseen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to do justice to saving a few pennys....

I've been looking at the Via Live 120 and apart from being a resistive touch screen rather than the fancy capacitive on the 1000/1005. What I can't find though is what's different apart from the screen??

What else I've noticed while digging around is, what are TT scared of by not having a comparison website??? Seems very odd you can't compare model by model..

Thanks again for all the advice so far.

Rob
howie555
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the home issues with 1000/1005 have been resolved, ie backups and loading third party poi, and are there any issues with the 120 using home.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

howie555 wrote:
Does anyone know if the home issues with 1000/1005 have been resolved, ie backups and loading third party poi, and are there any issues with the 120 using home.

See here regarding the "home" (Actually MyTomTom) issues.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: