Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How accurate are the 50k maps?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How accurate are the 50k maps?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rogerfrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dt
I think it is clear that your particular unit or mapcard are faulty.
The general concensus is that the Satmap invariably places you very accuratly on 1:50k and 1:25k maps. the offset you are talking about is just plain wrong!
Today I drove through the concrete canyons of Wolverhampton and the snail trail never leaves the road!
Please do not give up on Satmap - it is a fine piece of kit.
Sadly you seem to have a Friday afternoon unit or card.
Return both to Satmap (look on the website for a returns form).
My experience with the service people has been exemplary.

Roger
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This probably won't make a bit of difference but might be worth a try.

Have you calibrated the compass as this has some bearing ( ho,ho,ho ) on the mapping.

Ian
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dullthud wrote:
...it was consistently 190 odd feet out. That is just not good enough and not even a cheapo automotive satnav would get away with that level of innacuracy ...
Hi,

That's not a fair comparison because car satnavs assume that you are in a car and intentionally "lock to road", so if used handheld will often show you on a road even when you aren't.

190 feet does sound an unusually large error, normally associated with using an incorrect map datum (but I don't know if this can even be set with the Satmap). However, the 1:50k maps are not as accurate as the 1:25k; note that a single pixel is 5 metres (17 feet) wide and for clarity a "road" often has to be shown much wider than its true width.

Also, I would try a few more "experiments" before returning the unit to Satmap. For example set a waypoint exactly on an OS grid line (e.g. TQ EE000 NN000) either manually or ideally taking the GPS to such a location. Is the position shown exactly on a blue grid line? It may also be worth comparing the mapping/locations on your Satmap with OS publicly available internet mapping such as Getamap (beware that for some reason this uses 4+4 digit GRs) or one of the route planners.

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
Dullthud
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies.

It's definitely wrong. If what I was looking at was how it was meant to function all the reviews would have laughed it out of the shop.

But as the responders have been generally praising the accuracy of their own units I've decided to back it to Amazon as faulty and ask for a replacement rather than a refund. I do like the way the unit functions in use so I'd be a fool not to try one that works properly.

I shall put the lacklustre e-mail response from Satmap down to a junior staff member due to the poor grammar and less than diligent investigation of my concerns.

Interestingly, I did try and calibrate the compass a couple of times and it wasn't very accurate either compared to a Silva.

With regard to my car satnav comparison I meant it to be more a comparison of bang for buck really, though the distance mine was out would have definitely had you turning at the wrong junctions in a town. I'm quite happy to accept that OS may have to make the odd compromise and even the odd mistake. I've certainly found a few over the years on my Explorers, but a wholesale shift has to be an indication of a fault.

I wonder when I'll get Mark II. I've already had automated forlock tugging e-mails expressing great sorrow at the news of my unhappy experience.

I shall update when it arrives. Thank you all again.

Dt
Rogerfrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please let us know how this all pans out......
planetnine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
I agree as well, from when I had one - once they see there is a real problem (ie it is 190ft out ALL the time) they will act quickly. After all, the Active 10s are used by mountain rescue teams, amongst others - imagine the enormous hazards of that inaccuracy in those conditions! (it just would be TOTALLY unusable.)

My 1:50k map is about a hundred feet out, but I think, as SatMap said, it's the actual map.

I I swap to 1:25k, the position is spot on. No change in grid ref, but the map aligns with my position. Zoom to the street level map and it's there too. Import your raw data into Google earth and you're within ten feet.

If you walk to a gridline intersection, you'll be there on both 50k and 25k maps, but the features on the 50k map are out, and it seems to vary as you travel. At home in Lincolnshire I'm always placed to the south of the feature on the map.

I'll get my UK 50k map out and find some routes taken from car travel to look.

edit: Yes, it's the 50k maps, the deviation is atrocious ;o) At regents Park, the route is 30-40m SW of the road, and for I route I took in and out of London, where the route and map really deviate -zooming into the street vector map shows the route to be on the Road that was travelled.

Seems that the 25k maps are accurate, and that shortcuts were taken on the production of the 50k maps.

Also, don't forgat that in SatNavs, the position is filtered to the nearest road going in the direction you are -and this can be fooled easily with parallel streets and motorway junctions...
Dullthud
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got my new one from Amazon it was just the same so I've grown to accept the inacuracy. A shame really. I did think about sending it back for a refund but I dropped it and cracked the cover so I accepted my fate. I will keep an eye out for deals on 25k maps but in the meantime it's pretty good so long as you don't zoom too far in and remain aware of the limitations.

One thing I would really wish for is some kind of 'Declutter'. I doubt it's possible with the image format of the maps, but it would be great if major things remained legible as you zoomed out.

I do like the link up with Google earth and Google maps. I'd love to be able to edit the routes in another bit of software though. Anyone got any suggestions? Maybe I just need to play around more with Google earth. I'm sure it can do it.

Andy
planetnine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only noticed the 50k inaccuracy when I've been travelling along a road, and in that case you know you're on that road. OS 1:50k is a kind of pictorial guide when cycling or walking in the countryside; you kind of look where the footpath should go and then look for the signs in the terrain for the actual footpath, using symbols of landmarks to match up with what you can see.

It's not that detailed and you need to look where you're going rather than follow the GPS blindly. If you need to "fly by instrument" (mountain ridge in zero visibility -ask some of our forum members) then you definitely need the 1:25k -it's got every hedgerow and wall on it and I've not seen the 50k urban inaccuracy show up on it yet. (It's not inaccurate -the 50k maps are).

If I'm in London, I use a Garmin Nuvi for navigation, and my Active-10 on 1:50k to get a wider view and show landmarks. Same with motorway driving, those Nuvi maps are pretty featureless. If you need to be sure about what street you're on, you can always zoom throught the 50k map to the street map underneath, or you can complement your Active-10 with a normal satnav -more suited to the urban environment.

I'm afraid you can't de-clutter he OS maps unless you can go to source as they're bitmaps of the OS images. Some users have been campaigning to have some of the blue tourist clutter removed for years, it certainly gets difficult to separate stuff on the London 1:50k ;o)

I'm in the Lincolshire countryside, so I add more clutter, with POIs, lines ans ares -those I can remove at will...

Incidentally, what bit have you cracked by dropping it? The screen covers are user-replaceable, and if you've done more damage, SatMap will do you a service and cosmetic replacement job quite cheaply.

The Active-10 isn't perfect, but it's pretty close. You'll grow to love it if you love maps. Get some 1:25k of your home patch and/or favourite walking areas :o)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: