Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map updates & 910
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map updates & 910

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bampah
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Map updates & 910 Reply with quote

I have had a 910 for ages now and the maps really could do with updating.
My Western & Central Europe map is ver. 650.1052.
Is it worth me subscribing to TT Map update service to get these maps current or is that asking for too big a leap?
They tell me that I also need to have TT home installed to get the update.
Advice needed please given TTs poor customer reputation.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do indeed need TomTom Home_2 installed to your PC as you use this to purchase and install the new map, with your device being around five years old the maps will be rather dated but so is the hardware, if its still working fine along with the mount then its probably worth considering, if there are any issues with the hardware I would look at putting the £60 cost of the new maps to a newer and (possibly) more capable device - Mike
Bampah
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. The 910 is working great, never had a spot of bother since I first bought it.
According to the TT website, I can get 4 updates a year for £19:80. Where do you get the figure of £60 from?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The £19:80 charge is the subscription fee to the map update scheme assuming your map is fully up to date, download Home_2 and give it a try to see what the true cost is for your device and I would expect it to be somewhere between £19:80 and £59:95 but don't be too surprised if its the higher end of th escale due to how out of date your maps actually are - Mike
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
..... with your device being around five years old the maps will be rather dated but so is the hardware, .....
It may not have all the frills, bells and whistles of the latest units, but it is a very capable unit that is quite robust.

You don't see many complaints of it not working, and there must be quite a few still in existence, and used regularly. Wink

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The total price to get onto the Map Subscription Service is made up of two parts... a price to get you up to date with the CURRENT latest map, and then another price to continue and get the next four updates (or currently six).

But although the price is calculated from these two parts, you cannot opt for just one or other part.

Normally, if you have a fairly recent map I would say that the Map Update Service is not worth while, as often there are not many noticeable improvements from one map version to the next.

BUT, as others have said, if your maps are very out of date (your are...) then taking out the Update Service for a year is often the cheapest way to get up to date, or is at least a very similar price to a single new map.
(This is simply because of TomTom's convoluted pricing structures and special deals).

So I would advise checking the full price as MikaA suggested, and then decide whether to use the Map Update Service this year, but think carefully about whether to continue with it next year.

(P.S. I'll move this to the TomTom hardware section as it's about a Go910 rather than TT software for iPhone etc.)
Bampah
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're correct.
They wanted two fees. One to bring the map up to date and then another payment for the years updates coming to about £60 in total. There was no option of taking one without the other.
I've still not decided which way to go; Update, new TT or new alternative.
I definitely want Bluetooth and also text to speech but without really knowing what's available, I guess I can do without most of the bells & whistles.
Any suggestions?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the Go-750 Live from Amazon as it comes with latest map guarantee for the same price as a refurb model from TomTom without the LMG! And grab a 4GB MicroSD card for it as the new maps won't fit on the limited internal storage - Price is around £150 but with no USA mapping its only got Western_Europe installed - Mike
Bampah
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. Heading that way now for a gander.
BTW I have heard that Garmins don't suffer the same sunlight problems as TTs. I hate having to shield the screen whenever and wherever the sunlight shines on my 910. It's my only real gripe but I presumed it came with the territory. If Garmin have sorted this I would seriously consider a change.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main issue of glare on the screen is generally caused by the location of the device in the car, I don't like the windscreen suckers for a number of reasons:

Increased glare
Prone to falling off
Cables all over the place

For this reason I tend to use Brodit Pro-Clips and attach the navigation units directly to the Brodit mount on the dash rather than the screen, this also doesn't leave tell tale marks on the screen that a nav unit might be in the car (anti-theft)

The above applies to any of my TomTom, Garmin or Apple products when they are in the car, sadly the 910 is a bit of a handfull to mount in such a way but a 750 Live is easy. When I had the 910 in use I fitted a Glare Stomper to the device to prevent glare and make the unit easier to see.

The 750 is about the last TomTom I would recommend, the newer products don't connect to the computer in anything like the normal way and are rather restrictive in what you can do, depending upon your budget have a look at the Garmin 3790T as thats a nice device from what I have experianced but its quite a bit dearer than the 750 Live - Mike
Bampah
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike
The Garmin does indeed look a nice bit of kit. Have to give it some serious thought.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: