Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - newby help needed 1690
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

newby help needed 1690

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chimalsu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: newby help needed 1690 Reply with quote

hi,im a new subscriber with a 1690.i thought i had installed all files correctly ie uk consolidated,eur consolidated,but what i wanted and what i got are not the same.i wanted icons showing what was ahead ie. gatso,specs etc with a voice.what i have got is a bong bong and the standed useless garmin banner readin speed alert ahead.where have i gone wrong?i'm not great with files can someone help?
CDK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chimalsu
You don't mention your location, but if you are in the UK my initial advice would be to try the UK warnings by themselves first to make sure all is working.
If you want warnings for the different types of cameras, you need to download the "UK - Speed Zoned Complete" files from this site.
The reason you get bongs instead of voice warnings is because you also need to download the voice files from the
"Free Downloads", "SpeedCam Voice Alerts" section.
Click on the type of Satnav you have: Garmin.
I prefer to use the "Liz" voice files without the chime - you can try them out by clicking on the "Voice Sample" arrow and see which voice you like.
"Click Here" on the right will take you to the page for the voice of your choice.
Here you will see buttons on the right for MP3 and WAV voice files.
The 1690 uses WAV format so download the WAV files.
The files are zipped so extract them to the same directory on your PC as your Camera Alerts files.
You should have three files ("CSV" for position, "BMP" for Icon, "WAV" for Sound). The important thing is to check that they all have the same initial name for each type of camera, for example:
pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.csv;
pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.bmp;
pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.wav;
You also need to check that you have "sox.exe" saved in the same directory as the POI Loader program.
Now you can use POI Loader to transfer the files to your 1690 and if all went well the bongs should be replaced by the voice for the relevant speed and the relevant camera icon should appear on the satnav map.
The above is a very rough explaination - there are very good guides on this site which you will find very helpful - as I have.
Regards, CDK
chimalsu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks cdk i'll give it a go.cheers alan
chimalsu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive tried deleting consolidated euro files from my sat nav to replace with zoned,but poi loader will not delete them is there any other way of deleting the files?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POI Loader takes all your POI files in the upload folder and creates a SINGLE file which it then puts onto the Nuvi. That file replaces any previous file.

So you shouldn't need to delete the previous versions, the new ones will be used instead.

but if you really wanted to make surethey had gone, I suppose you could do a POILoader "load" with a single empty POI file in the upload directory. That would wipe out any user-POIs on the machine, and you could start from scratch.

As I say though... it shouldn't be necessary.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chimalsu wrote:
ive tried deleting consolidated euro files from my sat nav to replace with zoned,but poi loader will not delete them is there any other way of deleting the files?
Are you copying the two files directly to the Garmin as it sounds from your description, or are you using POILoader?
chimalsu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm using the loader,i put uk consolidated and euro consolidated seperate because of miles and kilom.i then wanted to change to zoned to use the voices,the loader deleted uk but not euro,i tried deleting again but would not remove the eur files.i didnt think you could put euro and uk in the same file because of the unit difference.im confused!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: