Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom GO
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom GO
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sifi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Futher to my last staement, I have also seen it is best to keep them topped up. (but again not much of a difference. Temperature may be a more determining factor)
sifi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, when I wrote:
"If the battery is fully charged before storage compared to say 50% charged, then the capacity loss is about 15% worse" I did not mention the time. It was over a year period.

To summerise, but experts please correct me, if the battery is not going to be used for a few months then store at about 50% (some say 40% is better). If it is not going to be used for many months then store at 50% but give it a little charge after a few months so as not to let its voltage get dangerously low. If it is used regularly keep it topped up. Many cycles of charging do age it but not too much.
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sifi wrote:
If it is used regularly keep it topped up. Many cycles of charging do age it but not too much.

te last sentence I can agree on. my phone is charged daily (carkit...) and albeit more than 2 years old, it still runs the advertised time (which is checked when outside the country, w/o car..)
TartanGiant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Lost Comms for a while! Reply with quote

pottsy wrote:
TG, morning!

To get a good signal (and hence avoid dropouts), put the magnetic antenna on the roof of the car. Tape the rod on the top of the rear of the TTG. Check it's working by looking at the sat signal with the re-rad unplugged from the battery, then plug it in and most blue bars should jump to max strength. I now have no dropouts.

I agree the 3d view is taking some processing time, and some of the instructions and map positions are a bit late (like about 1 exit on a roundabout) but with practice I can overcome this. Satnav systems are not as good as a human passenger who knows where they're going - you should have tried some of the earlier systems! One used to tell me to turn left at every roundabout (I understood the logic, but it was useless).

Luckily I don't have any reflection problems - the reason I moved from the Garmin IQue 3600 to the TTG is because it fits in the satnav cubby in my car (as you've seen).

Now enjoying a rare standby day!

Andrew

Hi Pottsy,

You must think me rude not answering your last msg. Sorry about that, but I've been out of comms for a while due to celebrating 39 years married on the 5th (yes only 22 when we said let's make it legal) so it's taken a while to get back into the swing!!!

Very many thanks for your msg regarding the set-up for the re-rad.

Did you secure the ferite rod (re-rad) in the vertical plain relative to the TTG or let it lie in a horizontal polarisation manner?

I hope the SDBY came and went without a call-out!

Fly safe Andrew.

Cheers

TG
pottsy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TG,

No worries, and congrats! My folks just did their ruby last month...

Not sure on the science of the polarisation, because my TTG sits inside a cubby with lid. So I simply put the rod horizontally in the upper rear of the cubby then wedged the TTG in after it. And I normally get all sats, with most at full scale on the meter.

The maps round here (EDI) are not very good - you may have seen the example photo I posted earlier. Yesterday I did a 20 minute drive and spotted 12 mistakes. Roundabouts that exist in reality are not on the map, and vice versa, and little roads that are on the TTG but which have long gone. I wondered whether TT had bought old maps, but it looks like the TeleAtlas data is duff - they supply www.map24.com and those maps are just as poor as the TTG. Maybe TeleAtlas have just forgotten Scotland...

SBY, remarkably for the Orange network, stayed that way!

Andrew[/url]
TartanGiant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Aerial positioning Reply with quote

Hello Pottsy,

Thanks for the understanding.......... and the gen on aerial placement.

I saw your map photos (nice car!!) a few pages back a bit and will try fixing the re-rad aerial on the back of my TTG in the vertical - like most aerials are meant to be in receive mode............ well apart from VLF where acres of wires can hang horizontally from poles like a spiders web.

I'll let you (and the members here) how I get on.

Being in East Sussex the road system is fairly old, so my map display is very accurate. My adventures further afield with TTG have been very limited so far.
I can fully understand your frustration at the lack of authetic and true maps not being displayed on your TTG in Bonnie Scotland...... I too would be well peed off if that happened down here.
I hope TTG R&D officials monitor what we, the users, are saying about their product.

Perhaps they will join in and offer some crumbs of their thoughts on the matters raised? Maybe Dave can persuade TTG management to take an active monitoring role in what we say here?

Anyway, I'm off to see what I can manage with the TTG re-rad hardware set-up.

Happy safe flying.

TG

PS: Thank goodness members are getting back into focus TTG issues instead of cars and IQ's.
sifi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Pottsy wrote:
The maps round here (EDI) are not very good - you may have seen the example photo I posted earlier. Yesterday I did a 20 minute drive and spotted 12 mistakes. Roundabouts that exist in reality are not on the map, and vice versa, and little roads that are on the TTG but which have long gone. I wondered whether TT had bought old maps, but it looks like the TeleAtlas data is duff - they supply www.map24.com and those maps are just as poor as the TTG. Maybe TeleAtlas have just forgotten Scotland...

The "Team" answered a query from me about where to report mapping errors and they said report directly to Teleatlas. I've found a local mistake where the map and direction given think a private road which has bollards is a public road. I reported it by e-mail a few days ago yet I have had no acknowledgement. Has anyone else reported to Teleatlas and heard nothing?
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sifi wrote:
Quote:
Pottsy wrote:

The "Team" answered a query from me about where to report mapping errors and they said report directly to Teleatlas. I've found a local mistake where the map and direction given think a private road which has bollards is a public road. I reported it by e-mail a few days ago yet I have had no acknowledgement. Has anyone else reported to Teleatlas and heard nothing?

I have phoned someone inside teleatlas and he reported that normally you would have gotten a fewedback within days. my reports were already 2 months old and he'll investigate it. in any respect: they are very happy with the reports, always !

try calling your local teleatlas rep for answers I'd say.
sifi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Imapbox, I've tried e-mailing Teleatlas again. You suggest phoning the local rep. How do you find out where (s)he is. On their main website I can only find a number for their main base.
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sifi wrote:
Thanks Imapbox, I've tried e-mailing Teleatlas again. You suggest phoning the local rep. How do you find out where (s)he is. On their main website I can only find a number for their main base.

easy. go to the support page, select right country and there you have the addresses and phone numbers. try the 'database operations' person. eventually first call the main number if you're not comfortable with it.
Lampman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well todays the day...the first update release since I purchased TT GO,can't wait.
But I may have to! Laughing
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad I am afraid that today is not going to be the day for software release. Software update status is in this thread.
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't taken the plunge yet and am wondering apart from the obvious mapping errors which are a separate issue, what are the software problems that need updating?
buglawton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: TT G - Avoid certain roads? Improvements minor and important Reply with quote

Tomtom emailed me back posiitively about 2 improvements for these options on the TomTom GO:

- Night colours automatically at dusk
- Volume louder at higher speed automatically

But they said no can do (even in the future) about selecting a road to avoid. e.g. the M25.

So can anyone suggest the best manual way to remove the M25 part of a route (say) then recalculate? I can't get to grips with the Avoid part of Route option that comes with the TTG.

Has anyone tried just driving off the road you don't want - do you get guided straignt back onto it?

So far, excellent experience with this device.
Lampman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I tried ignoring the selected route to Lytham and the TT was telling me to take the 5th exit of the roundabout,when there was only a choice of 3.
On non motorway routes, if ignored the TT tells me to Turn Around,before re locating itself and continuing the original route.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 26 of 35

Jump to: