Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No custom pois in itinerary on 37x0 and 1695
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No custom pois in itinerary on 37x0 and 1695

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: No custom pois in itinerary on 37x0 and 1695 Reply with quote

Hi,

Like with the 37X0 series, the 1695 doesn't allow you to have custom poi in an itinerary. I've reported this to Garmin and one acknowledged the problem. Since it's a rather long while that this problem occurs, I asked for an status update and the answer is now that the device wasn't designed for this and it will probably never become available. This is a rather stange statement, since old devices like the 765 has this functionality. What are your thoughts about that? What if we report this problem with several people?

Eddy
jdgwinnell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I recall from using a considerable number of Garmin devices over a considerable number of years, it's never been possible to include a "custom POI" in an itinerary or as a destination, if by this we mean any locations transferred with the POI Loader application. There's possibly some confusion, introduced by Garmin themselves, between custom POIs and "Points of Interest" aka waypoints or, nowadays, favourites - the sort of thing you can send to a unit from MapSource or BaseCamp, which is included in the map.
Montana 650, Oregon 650
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdgwinnell wrote:
As far as I recall from using a considerable number of Garmin devices over a considerable number of years, it's never been possible to include a "custom POI" in an itinerary or as a destination, if by this we mean any locations transferred with the POI Loader application. There's possibly some confusion, introduced by Garmin themselves, between custom POIs and "Points of Interest" aka waypoints or, nowadays, favourites - the sort of thing you can send to a unit from MapSource or BaseCamp, which is included in the map.

Custom POIS are indeed those transferred with POI loader.
Using custom POIs in itinerary/trip/route works fine on a 765 which is a not so old device.
Favourites are limited to 1000 and needs to be added by hand.
Mapsource integration is still lacking in the 37x0 and 1695
jdgwinnell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected - I've never used the 7x5 series - but I wasn't surprised by the Garmin tech response which applies in my experience to almost every other device.

Again I'm not acquainted with the 1695, but you can exchange waypoints/favourites with the 3790 using both MapSource and BaseCamp - it's routes the 37x0 series is not currently accepting, though the functionality is promised soon, and already exists in the new 24x0 series. Having transferred favourites to the 3790, it's the routes that have to be constructed by hand - with an unhelpful outcome if you include any via points, as the routing often takes you to the first via and then gives up, unless you choose to ignore the via (which entirely removes the point of having it if you are not a delivery driver and want simply, in my case, to drive to the Channel Tunnel entirely on the M20 from the M25 north and not get routed via the A2/M2 which is what Garmin wants).

This applies to pre-planned routes; if you do it with "Go to" and add the intermediate point once it has calculated the initial routing, it works well - but it does mean that a library of complicated routes is virtually useless.
Montana 650, Oregon 650

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: