Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go950 running navcore 9.120 for Go750
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go950 running navcore 9.120 for Go750
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Only the 920, 930, 940 and 950 had this system installed in terms of harware - Mike

Or at least so TomTom's marketing department have always claimed.

Perhaps this is why TomTom don't like the idea of customers installing Navcores that are not officially released for that particular TomTom unit. Wink Twisted Evil
blush
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The main issue with running 750 software on the 940/ 950 will be a lack of support for the EPT system, you might find the device crashes if you go in to a tunnel, or the EPT might simply not work - Mike

I knew it was too good to be true Sad

I need to find a tunnel now to see what happens Rolling Eyes
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the hardware is not present. I think I misunderstood your comments above about crashing the unit when entering a tunnel. What I meant was that I would check to see if entering a tunnel caused the unit to crash where the EPT Hardware wasn't present (I.e. In a 740). I've been through the Tyne Tunnel a few times recently but can't think when I'll get to go again.
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
I know the hardware is not present. I think I misunderstood your comments above about crashing the unit when entering a tunnel. What I meant was that I would check to see if entering a tunnel caused the unit to crash where the EPT Hardware wasn't present (I.e. In a 740). I've been through the Tyne Tunnel a few times recently but can't think when I'll get to go again.

Have I missed something blindingly obvious as surely TomTom have released one and the same Navcore 9.058 for all models in the x40 and x50 series regardless of whether those models are prefixed 5, 7 or 9?

It therefore seems entirely likely that the same Navcore can run with models that do and that do not have hardware that supports EPT and as with RDS-TMC data or HD Traffic data the unit and its Navcore simply factors the additional information in to its calculations if it finds that it is available to it.

Since when did anybody claim that the 9.058 Navcore running across the whole x40 series or the whole x50 series was not precisely the same Navcore? On the other hand it was proven that Navcore 9.054 would work with x50 series models and would not work with x40 series models due to the presence in the x40 units of a different type of Vodafone SIM card and/or at least a Vodafone SIM card that had been programmed in a different way from the SIM cards in the x50 series units.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WackyRaces wrote:
Have I missed something blindingly obvious as surely TomTom have released one and the same Navcore 9.058 for all models in the x40 and x50 series regardless of whether those models are prefixed 5, 7 or 9?

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/9.058.go540-go740_navcore-GO.cab
http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/9.058.go940_CAB-navcore-GO.CAB-navcore-GO.cab
http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/9.058.go950_t_navcore-GO_LIVE.cab

Then why produce different URL's for the different models, 540/ 740 are the same device so share the same download, 940 has allways been seperate, the same applies to the x50 range with 550/ 750 sharing a download and the 950 being seperate, x40 and x50 downloads have never been combined - Mike
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@WackyRaces

Jesus!! I already explained that I mis-understood what Mike said so theres really no need to worry any further about what I said.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loaded to an SD Card and no traffic bar. Check under LIVE Services and i've got the 1008 error. Going out later to try and reset it.
blush
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to see what happens in a tunnel later. Sods law when you want a job near a tunnel you get one in the opposite direction.

I don't understand why TomTom would produce this navcore for the 750 only and not bring out a version for the 950.
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blush wrote:
I don't understand why TomTom would produce this navcore for the 750 only and not bring out a version for the 950.

This is almost certainly a version of the 750 sold in large numbers to a specific customer with a lot of clout who probably insisted that TomTom address the longstanding bugs in Navcore 9.058 and agreed to support any issues that arose from the Navcore upgrade themselves with end users.

As to why TomTom would bring out a Navcore version only for the 750 I would reckon that this Navcore almost certainly will run on the 550 and 950 and may work on the 540, 740 and 940. Although TomTom provide Navcore versions on their download site for every single different unit this is surely only because they could for marketing reasons have Navcores with different features on say the 550, 750 and 950 even though in this case they have chosen not to do so. The only differences in product features are therefore imposed by differences in the hardware (viz EPT only supported on the 950 or the amount of on board memory for the maps) and the supplied maps themselves.

Regarding long tunnels how about the various tunnels on the A55 in North Wales including under the Conwy Tunnel under the Conwy Estuary which is over 1km long. See www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Conwy_Tunnel Also what about someone travelling as a rail passenger on Eurostar who has their 940 or 950 TomTom unit turned on and has satellite lock before they enter the tunnel on either side of the channel. Surely EPT ought to then cut in at that time?

Last edited by WackyRaces on Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:55 am; edited 3 times in total
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst the NavcCore worked the only thing that didn't was the traffic bar. I couldn't get rid of the 1008 error. Reverting back to the internal 9.058 NavCore now means it attempts to connect but "An error at the TomTom Server" means the wheel just turns and turns. Restoring a backup now...
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Whilst the NavcCore worked the only thing that didn't was the traffic bar. I couldn't get rid of the 1008 error. Reverting back to the internal 9.058 NavCore now means it attempts to connect but "An error at the TomTom Server" means the wheel just turns and turns. Restoring a backup now...

Did you try a soft reset on the unit to the black and white startup screen and then turning it fully off at that screen with another single short on/off button press and then drive to somewhere at least 15 miles or so from the original location with the unit turned off before then only turning it on when you were sure you were now in a location covered by a different Vodafone mobile phone mast from the location where you had the 1008 SIM card error?

This usually seems to cure other sudden occurrences of the reddish/brown SIM card error screen on the x40 series, although admittedly those are usually SIM card error 1001.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah i only did 4-5 miles and i did suspect i had 1001 and 1008 mixed up...
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
WackyRaces wrote:

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/9.058.go540-go740_navcore-GO.cab
http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/9.058.go940_CAB-navcore-GO.CAB-navcore-GO.cab
http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/9.058.go950_t_navcore-GO_LIVE.cab

Then why produce different URL's for the different models, 540/ 740 are the same device so share the same download, 940 has allways been seperate, the same applies to the x50 range with 550/ 750 sharing a download and the 950 being seperate, x40 and x50 downloads have never been combined - Mike

Is there a group of 750 owners, who have been invited to try 9.120, with a view to issuing it for 540/740/550/750 owners?
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll ask
blush
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well EPT worked just fine, the indicator came up like normal!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: