Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which TomTom or which SatNav
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which TomTom or which SatNav

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bloater
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Which TomTom or which SatNav Reply with quote

I currently run with a 730T, using the latest RDS traffic receiver. My mount has destroyed itself, fairly quickly, and also the unit often needs resetting to get traffic to function.

So....

Which TomTom do I replace it with? I obviously need the speed cams database from here, and also like to add fuel stations where they actually are, rather than where TomTom thinks they are. I also need full European mapping, out of the box.

My other option, and running a Desire HD, is to get an android based system and go with that.

So TomTom, which one, or Andriod based, which one??

Thanks for the help guys, as above Europe and POI's are the only real requirements, although traffic, possibly HD might be useful soon.

Gary
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using our CamerAlert Android App?

Navigon is a lovely nav app and runs on Android. Otherwise I'd look at a 750, there are some great deals and you'd have access to HD Traffic then. £130 on Amazon.
bloater
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Darren, just looked at the android app, but as I have only limited data, and it needs data for the moving map, I can see my 500Mb being gone very quickly.

I looked at Navigon for Android when there was an announcement about half price, but the european version didn't seem at all cheap to me, only limited discount. Having always had a TT, from the PDA days, would I be dissapointed switching to Navigon, although I guess then I wouldn't get traffic.

I will look at a 750, see what gives, its been out a while though, so is hardware an issue? I realise the new 1000 series have issues, but is it worth holding off for a bit and waiting for POI support to come back in a sensible state, rather than the one at a time it currently has.

Cheers.

Gary
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bloater wrote:
Thanks for the reply Darren, just looked at the android app, but as I have only limited data, and it needs data for the moving map, I can see my 500Mb being gone very quickly.

You don't have to have the map enabled in CamerAlert, you can switch to list view and have it run behind the nav app. When it's running in the background, even if map view is enabled, no data is consumed. That only occurs when the map is in view. And as you are already a Life Member, the app is 59p, so why not give it a try anyway?
Quote:
I looked at Navigon for Android when there was an announcement about half price, but the european version didn't seem at all cheap to me, only limited discount. Having always had a TT, from the PDA days, would I be dissapointed switching to Navigon, although I guess then I wouldn't get traffic.

Navigon is lovely, I'm a big fan. It's different to TomTom but in a good way.
Quote:
I will look at a 750, see what gives, its been out a while though, so is hardware an issue? I realise the new 1000 series have issues, but is it worth holding off for a bit and waiting for POI support to come back in a sensible state, rather than the one at a time it currently has.

Only you can answer that, the x50's are very good units. The 1000 are still unproven and who knows how long it will be before they add all the missing features?
bloater
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, CamerAlert purchased, so will give that a go. Will do some research into the 750 for now, see what gives.

Gary
alrobbo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a GO750 since July last year, after upgrading from a GO720 with RDS cable and its been great. The traffic is certainly better than the RDS cable and although not always accurate, it has saved me more time and frustration when taking detours. Only thing I would say is sometimes when navigating through the menus, the system can slow down and you might find yourself pressing the same button twice because the unit doesn't appear to have registered the selection, only to then find yourself either in the wrong menu selection or cancelling your route planning. Annoying when it happens, but I would still recommend it.

One thing to note, if you do go for the 750, it would be worth thinking about investing in a micro SD card (4 or 8Gb should do the trick) as the latest European maps are too big for the internal memory, if you want the whole West & Central Europe map on your device. You do have the option to download sections through TomTom Home (the maps are split North, South, East & West) which do fit, but then you may not have all the coverage if you are travelling 2 or more sections.

Can't comment on any of the Android versions as I've only ever used TomTom, either on a PDA or a TT GO

Hope it helps.

Cheers

Al
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also on the 100x model there is a £30.00 cash-back offer with makes a 1000 UK about £170.00

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_159128807_1?ie=UTF8&docId=1000486833&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=special-offers-1&pf_rd_r=0S2F78J0P6XTJCXVY7QX&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=230091427&pf_rd_i=B003Z6P0AG

Of course loading third party cameras or POI's is still hard work (one file at a time).

HD Traffic however works a lot better than the RDS.

HummerUK

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: