Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Two TomToms and using Home
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Two TomToms and using Home

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bandk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Two TomToms and using Home Reply with quote

Just bought a new TT 2XLIQ. Can I use the same 'home' as my current TT?

My old model has expired its map updates and I don't want to pay for this model again. But the new one I want to subscribe for map updates, how is Home going to differentiate between them? They both need connecting via home to be able to access the computer for poi's and speedcams etc. At least everytime I connect my old model, Home alwasy starts up first before giving me access to it.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AS long as each unit has been registered using a separate user_id (email address) then Home will detect which unit is which when you connect the unit to Home.

It doesn't even have to be a real email address, just in the proper form of aaa@bbb.com
bandk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David, just found that info when I noticed there was a section dealing with home problems Embarassed Embarassed
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you need to use a different email address for each of the two units and then Home will set up different sub-directories to store the maps and backups etc for each unit on the same PC. TomTom Home then shows the email address associated with that unit and account when you connect it to the PC with the USB cable.

You can't actually have two separate TomTom Home installs on one PC because the TomTom Home installer is sufficiently clever that it checks if it is already installed anywhere on the PC when you run it and even if you create and select a completely different directory from the one where TomTom Home is currently installed you end up still only having one copy of TomTom Home on your PC (I know because I have tried it and this is what happens).
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home does NOT create different folders for separate TomTom units. For example, all maps for every unit would go here:

c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\Complete\Maps\
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right - all goes in the same files [sorry should be folders*], but it identifies which functions are designed for each unit. 'This item cannot be installed on the device' is shown against functions for the first device, when viewing functions saved for the second device.

*Edit
Kia In-dash Tomtom

Last edited by Guivre46 on Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guivre46 wrote:
That's right - all goes in the same files, but it identifies which functions are designed for each unit. 'This item cannot be installed on the device' is shown against functions for the first device, when viewing functions saved for the second device.

I haven't seen this with a 750 and a 940 with the only difference being the North American map and the EPT tunnel navigation function that Navcore 9.058 in any case seems to have disabled or at least no longer shows the logo for when it is working.

However I imagine you would see the difference with a One or a Start and a Live unit when both supported by the same install of Home.
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WackyRaces wrote:
because the TomTom Home installer is sufficiently clever that it checks

You can tell which part of the Home software was't written by TomTom can't you ;) (It is very likely just done from a standard installer app_
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WackyRaces wrote:
However I imagine you would see the difference with a One or a Start and a Live unit when both supported by the same install of Home.

Nope, all the maps go in the same folder, all the navcore updates are thrown in a single folder as are fuel prices (where applicable).

For example I have ten different Navcores stored in sub folders within the "programs" folder that cover ten different devices that include a mixture of Live and non Live devices. Even the Ephemeris data is all in subfolders per device residing under the "Ephemeris" master sub folder on the PC - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: