Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Map Updates - Some Advice Please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Map Updates - Some Advice Please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nheather
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: TomTom Map Updates - Some Advice Please Reply with quote

Hi,

I bought my TomTom in July 2010 from Halfords - so it is about 6 months old.

When I purchased it I took advantage of the 'latest map' guarantee set up an account, installed Home and made sure my TomTom was upto date.

This morning when I switched it on, I got a blue warning message, saying that my current map was more than 18 months old and that I should take advantage of the quarterly map update subscription.

Can't see how this can be, unless I have been told fibs and my map was never updated when I first got it.

Any advice?

Is this a common message that comes up spuriously regardless of how old your map is.

Is there a way I can find out how old my current map is?

Many thanks,

Nigel
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom Map Updates - Some Advice Please Reply with quote

nheather wrote:
Is this a common message that comes up spuriously regardless of how old your map is.
It happens from time to time.

Call it a TomTom nudge. Smile

nheather wrote:
Is there a way I can find out how old my current map is?
If you tap the satellite graphic at the bottom of the device screen, there is a little box that has Version x.xxx. Tap this and you get a screen hull of data.

Line 5 tells you the Map Name and the version number. The latest map version is 860.xxxx

If you updated your map 6 months ago, it will probably be 850.xxxx

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
nheather
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

Just had a look and my map version is

v835.2419

from what you have said, that sounds bad.

Bit bemused by what has happened, as I used the map update immediately after purchase in July 2010.

Sounds like I need to give TomTom a call or take it back to Halfords because it looks like I didn't get what I was promised.

Cheers,

Nigel
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How low can people stoop?
At times im sure TomTom think this is some kind of game.
On a plus side i had the "pleasure" of contacting CS last week, surprisingly they were efficient and sorted my problem in a few minutes, i had to ring back just to make sure it was actually TomTom i'd got through to.
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has to be remembered that since July last year (2010) there have been two map updates, so by my reasoning 835 was the latest map available when you used the LMG.

Having said all of that most people are of the opinion that not much changes from one map issue to the next or even one year to the next, so it maybe a good idea to wait at least 18 months before considering purchase of a map update.

Mapshare applied in its most restrictive form is probably almost as good perhaps even better, but I know Dennis will not agree with that. I have a TT520 with the 835 maps and a TT510 with the latest 860 ones and I don't know of any differences, the latest map has 1920 mapshare corrections and thats just for UK&ROI the older map device does not tell me how many mapshare corrections are in use, only that I should buy a new map.

Just did some checks and it seems 835 must have been released during November 2009 so it would have been out of date by about 1 issue in July 2010 but its just one of those things on the day. One out and its three months old.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nheather wrote:

Just had a look and my map version is

v835.2419

Somethings wrong then...

EricWB wrote:
It has to be remembered that since July last year (2010) there have been two map updates, so by my reasoning 835 was the latest map available when you used the LMG.
----------------------
Just did some checks and it seems 835 must have been released during November 2009

v835 Maps were actually released on 20th August 2009....

If you bought in July 2010 then you must have picked up some VERY old stock Nigel, and that sounds unlikely if you bought from a volume seller like Halfrauds. A mystery...

Can you browse the TomTom memory store and have a look at the mapname.pna file in the map folder? It's a simple text file that you can open in Notepad, and if it *is* v835 it will say something like:
Quote:
ID=Western_and_Central_Europe.pna
build=2419
id=123456

Next.....
If you say you DID do a LMG new map download then I can only think of two possible answers.
a. the download or install of the Latest Map Guarantee cannot have completed properly, or
b. it DID download but you never started using the new map

Can you:
1. tell us the complete map name and version number from the info screen (all text) you get if you tap the software version box as mentioned above.

2. Go to Change preferences / Switch map and check you don't have TWO maps listed (maybe with exactly the same name).

3. check the PC you did the LMG update on and see if there is anything in this folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\map\
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the plot thickens because the reason I said earlier that 835 was released in November 2009 was that I purchased my new old stock 520 in October including LMG and was waiting for the new map release before using the LMG, so 835 was downloaded as LMG but was not the latest then anyway.

I think this is where we came in?
nheather
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE

Well TomTom CS have been really helpful and sorted the problem out.

The eMail just resulted in the expected automated response which was of little use. So I called them.

Got through quickly, they just wanted my email address, looked at my account and confirmed that no update had been received. So put in on then and there.

BTW - 835 is old as stated by posters above. The one I should have received and now have is 850.

Whilst on the phone they also sent through a £10 shop voucher which I should have received but didn't for some reason.

Cheers,

Nigel
Stampy72
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for information...

I just dug out my BACKUP of my TT IQ Routes from the day I brought it in November 2009 and it shows the following in the .pna file..

ID=Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB.pna
xxxxxxxx
build=2419
xxxx

From memory, I believe it offered me a Map Update (to 8.45???) when I connected it up to TT Home.
GPS v1.20, Boot 5.5138
Map : "Europe_North" v 900.4602

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: