Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom One in Florida
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom One in Florida

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RussJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: TomTom One in Florida Reply with quote

I took my venerable TT One to Florida before Christmas and it wouldn't lock on to any GPS satellites. I left it out in the open for 30 mins but no joy. Tried it both in Key West and Miami.
It has worked fine in the past when I was in California and I checked to ensure that the correct maps were installed.
I wondered if it had been damaged on the trip out but once back in the UK everything worked fine.
Anyone got an idea why it wouldn't perform?
Russ
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's working now then it's simply that, for one reason or another, it was not able to get the required almanac and ephemeris data in the time you left it.

It can take some time to update when moved a large distance such as when we fly. The only solution is to leave it alone until it has updated and acquired a location.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/howgpsworks.php
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 mins standing still should have had it work (it did for me when I went a few years ago). My only other thought is that you probably need to switch to US maps to have it do something useful...
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pure speculation, but was the device hand luggage or in the hold. It gets very cold down there, so a newish battery might survive, but an older one might not. What is the battery indicator showing?
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the position of satellites and the currency of the databases on your GPS it could easily take 30 - 45 mins to acquire current data.

OOI, when was it last used before the trip?
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom One in Florida Reply with quote

RussJ wrote:
I wondered if it had been damaged on the trip out but once back in the UK everything worked fine.

Oops, ignore above suggestion. I agree with Darren. Several thousand miles between start-ups takes some adjustment.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
crowvalley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used my TomTom all over Florida and Las Vegas area including Nevada, Arizona and Utah with no problems aquiering satellites and we go to the U.S twice a year. I always update the satellite positions via TTHome the day before travelling and put the TT on the hire car windscreen prior to loading cases etc into the car and rowing with the wife. I have never failed to pick up satellite signal within 5 or 6 mins. In fact, on my last visit in October last year we travelled from Las Vegas across the corner of Arizona and into Utah to visit Bryce Canyon using V8.55 NA maps and never put a foot wrong even though we turned off our planned root and went up over Dixi National Forest. The trusty TomTom took us there and back without us loosing our way and the satnav loosing its signal.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: