Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems with tomtom car kit
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with tomtom car kit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
digitalbullet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Problems with tomtom car kit Reply with quote

I bought the tomtom car kit for my iPaq 4150. The car kit charges the ipaq and the bluetooth (TTN3) GPS receiver at the same time.

As soon as I tried it I started having problems. I am able to connect everything up and begin a journey, i.e. I have the ipaq charging in the cradle and I also have the bluetooth gps receiver charging through the car kit via an RJ11 cable. I can begin routing a journey and tomtom finds my position and I'm off!

However, about 5 mins into the journey the GPS receiver just turns itself off. Needless to say the 4150 loses the signal and I have to reset the ipaq and turn on the GPS receiver before I can make a connection again.

This problem happens only when I connect the Bluetooth GPS receiver to the carkit for charging.

I sent the carkit back to tomtom and got a brand new one but im still having the same problem.

I have all the latest updates for TTN3.

Is anyone else having this probelm? What should i do?

Thanks.
GMT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange one! I have got exactly the same setup as you with no problems at all...!

The only problem I had was it was dropping the bluetooth connection after 5-10 mins or so, but that was because I hadn't paired the devices together, and was manually creating a connection .. i.e. when you turn the ipaq on and the GPS receiver on, once you have loaded TT3 up, the devices will automatically connect to each other...
Lost1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalbullet,

It might be worth taking a passenger out for a drive to look at what's happening when you loose the GPS. If it's the same type of cradle as the one for the 1945 it will have a power light to show it is getting power.

If you loose the power to the TT BT GPS mouse it will turn off. This can happen if the cigarette lighter cable is a little loose, it only needs a bump or a pot hole and you break the circuit. The GPS thinks you have turned off the engine and it turns it's self off.

Don't know if this is what's causing yours to fail but it wont hurt to check. Smile
Richard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same setup too without any problems. I didn't realise the unit switched off automatically. Does it switch on again automatically too or do you have to do that manually?
andrewh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

presumably you have the charging cable fo rthe TT BT GPS plugged into the lttle round socket on the mouse itself (i.e. you are not using the old cradel that is no longer supplied with the BT unit).

If that is the case then the BT unit should NOT switch off if it loses power.

You should do a test. Run the bluetooth unit for an hour or so not connected to the power. Connect to the power and check the red light comes on. and the GPS is still working. Start driving with someone watching the BT unit. Does the red light go out at the same time as the power dies? If so, I reckon you have a faulty unit, perhaps a dead battery.

HTH
Andrew

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: