Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Open letter to TomTom about address lookup (Navigator 3 GB)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Open letter to TomTom about address lookup (Navigator 3 GB)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anarchy-inc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gokhart wrote:
The fact that the map data is incomplete even at the time of sale does suggest that something is not right. We cannot expect Tomtom to pass the blame to the map data supplier (otherwise we can see this happening with every sub-contracted manufacture).

This, I think, is the key to the whole problem. It is all well and good to blame TA and everyone knows that the data is only good from a certain date backwards. But in this case it was not even correct AT THE TIME OF ISSUE. You cannot say that having 3-4 year old postcodes is up to date as of Oct2003. Sure there will be a cut-off point, say 6 months before issue but 4 years? Gimme a break!!!! Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
anarchy-inc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NigelJ wrote:
In English law the seller warrents that the product is suitable for the purpose to which it is to be put. This product in my opinion does not meet this criteria.

I therefore not only expect but DEMAND that the problem is addressed.

Not being an expert in English law (see my avatar) Wink I can't say for sure but I suspect that it says nothing about demanding they make repairs/upgrades so that the product meets your expectations? Surely the law only gives you the right to an alternative product (if available) or a full refund which overides any restrictive return policies?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
NigelJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anachy-inc,

Thanks for your mail - yes I agree, but it is always worth giving the supplier the oppertunity of correcting the error in his program. This is of importance with this product as so many other users are having the same problem. It should be born in mind that the only reason TT dont wish to give updated maps is the cost of producing, mailing, administring and admitting the problem. I believe that this may cost them sales when they produce another upgrade as users will have to give serious consideration as to whether they are prepared to put up with another possibly flawed product.

I am still awaiting a reply to my e-mail of the 11th July to TT relating to this subject . I have only received a message to say I will receive a reply in due course!

In the meantime CoPilot seems to be finding and taking me to those places TT3 cannot reach.

NigelJ
sland
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and Copilot 5 is due out this year I believe (3D views and all)

Mike
fleng
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Money Back Option???? Reply with quote

vxer wrote:
I am curious - has anyone actually tried asking for a refund? If so have they been successful? I am seriously contemplating returning to TTN2. Also, sorry if has been referred to in previous threads but just HOW in the world can places be in in TTN 2 and NOT in 3. What a c**k up!

Here are TomTom's instructions for returning your faulty TTN3 program:-

"In order to process a refund. Go to http://repair.tomtom.com and make a repair. In the fault repair field and description in capital letters type REFUND. Return the full product to us along with the plastic CD cover. Email us the repair number and your DHL tracking number when DHL comes to collect the item and we will track this. Then email us the following or fax us at 0031 20 446 9447 the following information:

Physical address of your branch
Account number
Swift Code
IBAN
Bank Key Code: if Applicable
Sort Code: if applicable
Your name on your banking account as it appears
Your upgrade order number or the email address you used for that order"

I did this about 6 weeks ago and have not received a refund from TomTom but I have had the full amount credited to my credit card. TomTom now refuse to answer emails. They mark questions as 'answered' without answering them and it is not possible to get through to them by telephone. I have gone back to TTN2 without any problems.
NigelJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As anybody looking at my previous posts will know I have changed to Copilot Live and this seems to have solved my problems for the time being, however I am still pursuing TT over the shocking maps that have been issued with TTN3.

I now list the correspondance with TT over this issue for general information.

11/07/02 - My original query

I note from information posted on the POCKETGPSFORUMS that you consider that when a place name is missing from the map that was supplied with TTN3 that the map data is corrupt. In the case refered too, a replacement CD has been offered because SCARBOROUGH is not found on the map.

In my case BARMOUTH (Gwynedd)
TYWYN (Gwynedd)
NEWTOWN (Powys)
SCARBOROUGH (North Yourkshire)

and MANY others are missing.

I have updated to 3.03 and although some of these are now in the database they are not on the map.

When trying to find Barmouth on the map it shows a place near PRENTEG a long way from Barmouth.

When trying to find Newtown (Powys) on the Map it shows a place called Abbercwmhir (Powys) again some miles from Newtown.

Tywyn (Gwynedd)near Aberyfi does not appear in the database OR the on the Map. Note there are several TYWYN's but not the one 4 miles from me!

Scarborough not on the map but in the Database and shown on the map as Easingwold.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Auto-response 14/07/2004 08.31 AM Dear Mr xxxxxx,

We apologize for not yet having responded to your email dated 11/07/2004 12.52 PM.
We will get back to you as soon as possible and apologize for the delay in answering your query.

Thank you for your patience and best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
17/07/04.
I would now be gareful for a response to my question No 040711-000118

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Auto-response 20/07/2004 12.31 PM Dear Mr xxxxxx,

We apologize for not yet having responded to your email dated 11/07/2004 12.52 PM.
We will get back to you as soon as possible and apologize for the delay in answering your query.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am surprised that TT are taking so long to come clean with this issue. It should take them only a very few minutes to confirm the above but as has been said by others - support is non existant, all they wish to do is to sell you the product and escape with the cash!!!

Meantime I look forward to Copilot 5 which if Goodman is correct seems to be well worth waiting for.

i will however copy any replies I receive to the isssue with TTN3 for general information.

NigelJ
NigelJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anybody interested I am adding the following copy of my non-progress with TT.

Copilot live 4 seems to be a much better programe and I look forward to upgrading to Copilot v5

NigelJ

Response 20/07/2004 03.02 PM
Dear Mr XXXXX

In the case you mentioned the customer could not navigate to this location even with the 3.03 installed (to our recollection) which led us to surmise a problem with the map and we requested a swap. If you can navigate there then there is nothing wrong with the digital map data.

We hope to have answered your question to your satisfaction.
With best regards,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Customer 20/07/2004 04.53 PM
Thank you for your response.

Unfortunatly if I input just the name of the town, ie Barmouth (Gwynedd), Newtown (Powys) Ect the program takes me to those places shown in my original query and not to Barmouth or Newtown Ect. If I happen to know the street name this works but since most of the places I need have only names as I need to get to the Town and then make a search for the individual house name - what I object to is that your program will not even take me to the town from which I can start my search for the particular house name.
It is this problem I wish to have addressed.

(Note in Wales many house only go by name - no street in included!)

Customer 28/07/2004 12.38 PM
I would be gateful for a reply to my continuing query of the 11/07/04 and my clarification of the 20/07/04

As you can see TT do not wish to address the problem.

As others have said - support in non existant.
NigelJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another update on the saga of TT!!!!!

Customer 28/07/2004 12.38 PM
I would be gateful for a reply to my continuing query of the 11/07/04 and my clarification of the 20/07/04

Discussion Thread
Response 30/07/2004 01.38 PM
Dear Mr Jones,

We have escalated your question to our third level support .They wil contact you when they have a solution.

With best regards,

Seems like a VERY slow escolator ???????????????

Nigelj
Pete111
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nigelj

Many thanks for going to all the trouble of posting this correspondance. this is my first post.

I was thinking of purchasing TOM TOM 3 but your posts have put me off the whole idea and I too will purchase Copilot 5.

It seems I nearly made a very costly mistake in purchasing Tom Tom as they seem to be a rubbish firm with no scrupals!!!

Pete111
NigelJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pete 111 for the comments.

Just to let anybody who may still be interested in this long running saga what the current position is.

As we have now passed the month since my original query which resulted in me prchasing Copilot 4 on the 11th July and the last e-mail from TT stating that the enquiry was been moved (escolated!). TT now seem to have shelved the problem - or have they gone into receivership!!

Certainly no reply to my communication has been received from them and I am afraid that as my opinion of them is extremly low, I do not expect any better of them.

If anything transpires I will post the result for all to view.

regards Nigelj
NigelJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTN Customer support - WHAT CUSTOMER SUPPORT????!!

Still no reply from TTN and I note that when I tried to contact them to remind them that a query was still outstanding I can no longer put a new question to them as customer support seems to have locked me out of access to the suppost system.

As Copilot 5 has now arrived I can only say how pleased I am to have changed to a decent system.

NigelJ
NigelJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now received my upgrade to Copilot 5 and I have to say that the routing seem much superior to TTN3. All the towns that were missing or wrongly located ( see previous posts) are available in CP5 :D

My only wish with CP5 is that the safety view was ajustable for speed as is TT. But other than than that it seems a very superior product. Rolling Eyes

In case you are wondering I have had both working at the same time so the comparison was easy. (On two different Pda's of course!!!)

AND I am still locked out of TT support Its seems I have been a little to persistant with a question they refuse to answer in any way. The only comment I can make is ooops!

Nigelj
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I am amazed you got any kind of reply from Tom Tom. The only ones I seem to get in response to emailed technical queries consist of a blank grey line - I've had two of these now and so I assume this is their way of telling one to get lost!

I even resorted to twice faxing their chairman:

Harold Goddijn
TomTom
Spuistraat 112-114
1012 VA Amsterdam
The Netherlands
Fax: 0031 20 4469 496

But guess what - Harold couldn't find the time (or courtesy) to reply!

I have the impression that Tom Tom has absolutely no regard for their customers at all. They have had the last penny they are ever going to get from me!

Ted
DelBoyUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoffT wrote:
David,

I think your letter covers the problems with TT3 very well. I was not a TT2 user so cannot comment on that part. I have already complained to TT (via their support page) about the address finding in TT3. If it wasn't for niels' superb ukpostcode add-on I think TT3 address finding would be bad enough for me to demand a refund.

Hope your letter encourages TT to fix this

Geoff

Oooh where can I get this postcode add on? does that fix the problem whereby by typing in the full post code it still shows multiple addresses, so if I typed in LS16 9FP it would show all road names with LS16 9 (incredibly annoying)
geraint
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can download it from http://www.digitools.co.uk/ukpostcode.php

In answer to your question, if you typed in LS16 9FP, it would not give you a list of all streets whose postcode started LS16 9.

Follow the URL above - it will tell you all aboiut the tool.

I use it and think it's great.

TomTom for iPhone v1.9
App version: 8.300 (777309)
Map: Western Europe v875.3668

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: