Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Reviewed: Garmin nüvi 3790T
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Reviewed: Garmin nüvi 3790T
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also quite a number of undocumented feature upgrades hidden in the latast update. First is the addition of Prompted Navigation, which brings the 1695's option for automatic calculation and display of three different routing options, Fastest, Shortest, Less Fuel. All are shown and can be chosen on the same menu page, scrolling from one map displayed route to the next. Then there's three new "more data" options for show on the navigation map: Via Arrival, Distance to Via, Time to Via.

The screenshot function can now be set to stay on rather than being reset with every restart, a nice perk for some of us doing reviews or sharing with other forum members. And instead of the traditional .bmp format, it now uses the much more compact PNG files.

AutoZoom can be disabled in some regions, tho North America isn't (yet) one of them. But you can spoof your home region to one that supports it, like Australia, to get that functionality.

I'll post any other finds as users report them.
carlover
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHAT A SHAME.Its obvious that garmin STILL havent sorted out their love of narrow country hedgerow lanes.I will leave alone,sadly.
jdgwinnell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Prompted navigation Reply with quote

Prompted navigation is a HUGE improvement, going back to the good old days of the super-flexible StreetPilot - and indeed the original version of the 3790 firmware, which lost the option to choose the recalculation mode in the first update. It took some finding, though - it has to be enabled in the depths of the System - Navigation - Car - nuRoute - Calculation Mode menu.

Please keep us informed. It's a mystery why Garmin have kept it quiet.
Montana 650, Oregon 650
HellFire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdgwinnell wrote:
You can get info on the satellite fix - eventually. It's very choosy about whether it responds to a finger press on the satellite strength bars at the top left.

I don’t have a problem sat info response, I just hold my finger there for a few seconds.
buckrogers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 3790t - Returned Reply with quote

buckrogers wrote:
Great unit, voice commands brilliant, display brilliant but just kept crashing.

To follow up my previous comment and be fair my 2nd 3790T, downloaded with the latest updates etc, seems to be 100% stable thus far.

Voice command input works very well even under noisy conditions making it completely hands-free, except ending a phone call which requires manual touch (is there another way?)

Just need to import my favorites from my old Garmin.

So better news this time!
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They really do need to get the pronunciations right though.

Folkestone is still Folk es tun, which is rather pathetic in this day & age.

I wonder how many more need to be corrected? Before it gets it right!
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see the logic behind that particular one being mispronounced as it is a bit different than what might be expected from sounding out the usual syllables. Is the mispronunciation common for other towns, roads, etc., or issues like Folkestone more of an odd occurrence.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: