Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 1490T slow display fixed?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

1490T slow display fixed?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phillik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: 1490T slow display fixed? Reply with quote

My new 1490T was very disapointing regarding screen refresh. It could often take 10-15 seconds to refresh the screen when it zoomed out, and at slower roads when zoomed in the map turning was jerky.

This seems to have been fixed either by the latest Garmin 4.7 update or my choice to only load the UK maps.

I was offered a map update to 2011.30. The web update refused to load directly saying my 1490T did not have enough memory. So I downloaded the maps to my pc. Using Mapsource I only loaded the UK maps as these are all I really need. The Garmin web updater also installed 4.7. Hard to tell as their web page does not tell you what update you are getting. (poor show Garmin! TomTom and even Microsoft have the grace to say what you are getting.)

However, the map redrawing is now very quick and turning is at dizzy speeds. One down side is the POI icons no longer appear at slow speed on Map display. They still do in navigated routes.
phillik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Bad to Worse Reply with quote

Oh no. Things have gone from bad to worse.
Whilst the refresh has sped up, it is still bad. (My HTC wildfire still has better scrolling) and the map zooming has gone berserk.

I have lost the Lane assist pictures (no loss actually) and the map background which was snow white fields went a nice green 3790T 3D terrain type view on the M25 for a while before going back to snow white.

I had already reported a clash between PGPSW and “resident” Garmin Cyclops camera database causing the unit to freeze. I loaded the one of demo of the Garmin cameras and the freezing stopped. I did a recommended POI removal and reinstall and it has not frozen since. But I did do an upgrade to 4.70 and 2011.30 maps. I see I am not alone the online map update to 2011.30 failing due to lack of space!

Problems are:
Slow map drawing
Crashing when using PGPSW database
Refusing to Web map upgrade with "Space issue"
Random over Zooming
3D flicking back to 2D during zoom
Map background went nice green for a while.

I cannot return this device as “unfit for purpose” as it does the job of getting me to the destination. It is just that I can get a PND costing 1/3 the price or even free on android that can do the job.

I expected better from Garmin. I will be escalating this to Garmin support and already wish I had got a Tom Tom instead.
Ian99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@phillik
Had a similar issue with with map zooming a while ago on my 1690 and a factory reset sorted it out.
Delete unnecessary foreign voices to make way for a full European map install
phillik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian99 thanks for the advice. Is there a correct way of removing voices etc rather than just (backup first) and delete the files in the folders I can see?

This should be an easy task that should not require messing about. Do not Garmin test these things first?

Cheers
Ian99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if there is a correct way, I used Windows Explorer and deleted any voices I don't need, e.g. German, Chinese etc.

They are in a folder called voices
phillik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I remember why I keep buying Garmin. It's the support. Very Happy
Just 1 hour to get a sensible reply. Of course this applies to me. I will test and confirm.

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.

I believe that you should have enough space to download the full European mapping onto your Garmin device once you have deleted various voice/text/help files on your device.
1. Connect the nuvi to the computer with a USB cable
2. Double-click My Computer or Computer
3. Double-click on the GARMIN drive listed under devices with removable storage
4. Double-click on the Garmin folder
5. Double-click on the Voice folder
6. Delete any unused voice files (be sure to keep your preferred language)
7. Return to the Garmin folder
8. Repeat steps 5-7 with Text and Help folders

Then please go back to your My Computer
You now need to show hidden files and folders. To this, please click on Organize - Folder and search options - Click the view tab and then place a mark next to 'show hidden files and folders
Open the Garmin drive
Open the .System folder (translucent)
Please delete any files called gmapsupp
Once this is done, please go to my.garmin.com and log into your account, then please click on myMaps at the top of the screen, click download history, then select the download button next to 2011.30

The download should go through properly this time.

It may be an idea to perform a master reset of your device to improve performance speeds:
Before you perform a master reset, you can save your favourites by following these steps. If you do not wish to save your favourites, skip to step 9
1. Connect your device to the computer.
2. On your computer, click ‘Start’
3. Click ‘computer’ or ‘my computer’
4. Open the ‘Garmin’ folder
5. Open the GPX folder
6. Copy and paste all of the contents of this folder to your desktop
7. Close all folders
8. Disconnect your device from your computer
9. Turn the device off
10. Press and hold the bottom right hand corner of the screen and press the on/off button
11. Continue to hold the bottom right hand corner of the screen until you see a message saying ‘do you really want to erase all user data’
12. Remove your thumb from the screen and press yes.
13. The device will now begin the reset
Now place the unit in clear view of the sky for 45 minutes with the antenna up if your unit has one after performing reset so it can pick up a strong signal.

Thanks to Garmin support an Ian99
MichaelCahill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phillik wrote:

Then please go back to your My Computer
You now need to show hidden files and folders. To this, please click on Organize - Folder and search options - Click the view tab and then place a mark next to 'show hidden files and folders
Open the Garmin drive
Open the .System folder (translucent)
Please delete any files called gmapsupp

I suspect that I am showing my ignorance but what does the gmapsupp file do, besides using up a lot of space on your drive?

It seems amazing that you can delete such a large file (1.4 GB out of a total memory of 2 Gb) on my unit and your sat-nav still works correctly.
phillik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was guidance sent to me by Garmin. My 1490T is under warranty and I have a map update period available. If it goes wrong I am sure Garmin will sort it out quickly. However, my guess is that this file is map data or temporary map update.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gmapsupp file is the map. The device will not work without it. What you are being asked to do is to delete the map manually and then download the new one. Once finished you'll have a new gmapsupp file that might be bigger than the current one.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: