Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Poll - GO 1000 / VIA - Will you buy?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Poll - GO 1000 / VIA - Will you buy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will you be buying a GO 1000 / VIA in the next 3mths?
Yes I will be placing an order - the missing features are not important
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Yes I will be placing an order but want third party POI file support restored
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
I will wait for the features to be re-added before ordering
38%
 38%  [ 44 ]
I will consider an alternative model/brand
28%
 28%  [ 33 ]
I am not looking to upgrade
26%
 26%  [ 31 ]
Total Votes : 115

Pimmsoclock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: TomTom 1000 'lock down' Reply with quote

sgould wrote:
I've had a brief look at a 1000 and it all looks very similar to the iPhone app.

No itineraries, no custom PoIs. Same slightly softer colours.

There in lies your answer.......surely they are looking to sync the s/w release together?
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it would be interesting to speculate [not half] that they have designed a platform that enables them to use the applications they have already developed. It would seem to fit with their contracts to supply in vehicle units with information ie standardised applications. Home 3 would be a 'primitive' on-line file storage, plus a record of applications purchased. It would mean 3rd party POIs would need to be licensed as an application and give TT a cut of the revenue.

Probably says more about my severe IT limitations than the actual situation.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Pimmsoclock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course they are going down this route (excuse punn). It makes sense on every level; reduced development costs, standardised marketing, greater user satisfaction, increased loyalty to h/w and s/w, blah, blah, blah.

Just painful migration for existing users as they sync all platforms together. Saw they hired a 'partner manager' from Ordnance survey recently, ready to run a TomTom app store, no doubt! Wink
nocturnal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

havnt read all of this thread but i read 1 part saying there was only 1 lead in the box for the tomtom 1000.Got mine the other day and there is 2.1 for the car and 1 for the computer.
Very Happy
shanskye
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Faulty unit Reply with quote

I took the plunge and bought a go 1000,received it last Saturday could not get it working and so today sent it back for a refund.
All I had was a screen displaying spinning cogs,got on to Tom Tom they told me to do a soft reset (which i already had) then they told me to send it back.
the unit looked good and the mount was ok,but no good if its sat in its box !!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nocturnal wrote:
havnt read all of this thread but i read 1 part saying there was only 1 lead in the box for the tomtom 1000.Got mine the other day and there is 2.1 for the car and 1 for the computer.
Very Happy

Can you give more details?

As far as I know, there are two possibilities:

You either get the old style charger with a fixed lead - in which case you also get a USB cable to connect to your computer

OR you get the new car charger with a USB socket - in which case you only get ONE USB cable.

Or are you saying you got the new style charger and two cables?
pu55er
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got Go 1000 live today as I sent two Garmin 3790T's back with the former a fault in FM and the latter a fault with voice in as much as some commands were "Not available on English Version". Garmin were unable to be much help at any time and seemed to be product unaware so I turned to Tom in desperation as the Samaritans line was engaged.

First impresssions and I am not an expert is that the resolution and display was superb on the Garmin compared with TT. The voice on the working Garmin was far more sophisticated although not as comprehensive.

Of course the Garmin did not have Live as it did on my previous 1690T which I liked but was hit and miss and that is not to mention the roads that suddenly disappeared. One of Garmin training techniques I think is to make the customer think it is his\her own fault and this worked well on me.

The 3790T had more a tow rope than a power cable as the FM aerial and power are interwoven and seems an impossible mess of wiring that I gave up trying to tidy.

The TT is Live so one cigar socket plug with usb connection for the slim (very) usb wire to plug into the socket (and also the PC when required leaving behind the cigar socket plug) and the other end into a bespoke connector. Not a bog standard usb connection like Garmin use.

Now I have the Tom Tom I am quite surprised at the number of items missing. I am wondering if the 1000 and the Garmin 3700 series were both brought out in a rush to have a competitive edge and both seem to have only annoyed me and what appears to be half the GPS fraternity.

I rather wish I had been in a position to put down a payment and as the extras arrive then pay another slice until such times as I get the advertised product.

I am not a happy bunny but luckily I do not expect to be in this day and age. PC games use the same technique. Get a game out to early and get the profit in and depending how good the game is received depends how much more they are prepared getting it right. Just like Tom Tom and Garmin I fear.
nocturnal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Andy,the 2 leads i got with my 1000 was 1 which you charge it up and link to the computer,and the other lead was the cigarett plug on one end and on the other end was the connection to the tomtom.The cigarett end was the fixed type not a universal usb type in which you can disconnect and plug other usb devices into it.
Well i nagged the mrs into haveing me have it early.
Having a tomtom 1 3rd eddition before this i must say its like chalk and cheese.
i have set the 2 devices to plan a route and i would say its about 3 times as fast compared to the tomtom one to plan it.
The screen is so clear and at the moment routes which it takes you are spot on and if you miss a turning its rerouting is very quick.
Ive had no problems with it not starting up or locking up as of yet and GPS fix seems to be about 3 seconds and inside the house i also get a GPS fix.
POI seem ok and google search is very good but havnt planned a route with that yet so dont know how good it is.
Voice control is more of a miss than a hit and for me it seems quicker to just type the places in,which for the price of it it should be a lot better but maybe someone else might do better.
Hd traffic seems to be working great but as mentioned theres no petrol station prices to see which one is selling the cheapest in your area.
HD Weather works ok but i dont realy see the pont in that.
Pairing up my iphone 3gs worked a breaze and transfered all my numbers over within a matter of seconds.Sound quality and mic are also very good.
Connecting it to my computer(XP) or laptop(WIN 7) was a differnt story.
Cant get the tomtom to connect to the laptop at all just says it not connected.
On the home computer i had a problem that it wouldnt install my tomtom, but after 1 hour of messing and updating windows it installed.But as everyone said nothing to comment,all it says is everything is upto date and nothing on my tomtom except they are getting map updates and other things ready to put on it.
Am i pleased with it YES.It gets me to A to B very well and the HD traffic which i was wanting the most works well.Would have liked to put custom POI in but not too bothered as google live seems to be doing a good job.
I just wanted the newest model instead of last years and hopefully within the next few months they will get their act together and sort the updates and My tomtom out.
If there is anything else you want to know please ask.Iwill keep everyone updated as to how the 1000 gets on Very Happy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nocturnal wrote:
hi Andy,the 2 leads i got with my 1000 was 1 which you charge it up and link to the computer,and the other lead was the cigarett plug on one end and on the other end was the connection to the tomtom.The cigarett end was the fixed type not a universal usb type in which you can disconnect and plug other usb devices into it.

Thanks for getting back to me.
The issue is with the alternative version where there's a cigarette lighter charger with a USB socket on it.
In that situation they are only supplying one cable that you have to keep taking out of the car if you want to update using a computer in the house.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment, with restricted functions, the 1000 and Via must be very similar, apart from the Via being £100 cheaper. If and when they are both running as advertised, what will be the differences?
Kia In-dash Tomtom
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nocturnal wrote:
Voice control is more of a miss than a hit and for me it seems quicker to just type the places in,which for the price of it it should be a lot better but maybe someone else might do better.
Have you tried speaking more softly? On a GO550 I have discovered that if I speak in a quiet tone it picks me up - I used to shout at the thing and lose my temper, but since I tried softer (as if I want to keep it secret to myself!!) the device hears it and understands. (Can't use voice control since I had my teeth out, though - it can't cotton on to Thevenoakth, Thalford, Thurbiton, Thhepperdth Buthh, Brithtol etc).

Having said which, I long ago said that TT had the wrong idea on how to implement voice control. The city and street worked reasonably, but they should have stuck with numbered menu items for all the rest AND why they never used a "speak the words on the screen" voice training feature like the old fashioned word processors did zillions of years ago I just can't understand.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
triggy32
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll - GO 1000 / VIA - Will you buy? Reply with quote

[quote="Darren"]In line with our partner community web-sites we are looking to gauge opinion to the new GO 1000 / VIA range and the omitted features. [/quote]

How about I bought a new via 110 without checking this review DOH!!!!!!
keithmillar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand correctly TT have stated that 3rd party add on will be enabled for the end of Jan’11
At the time of writing this post there is less than 48hrs left of Jan’11 – Does anyone know if TT will deliver on time

Garmin 3598LTM-D
Android CoPilot
Navigon 72 Plus Live
TTGO540
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In another topic here, someone said they had downloaded an update and briefly seen it on MyTomTom, then it apparently disappeared again.

So it might be fairly imminent.
keithmillar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
In another topic here, someone said they had downloaded an update and briefly seen it on MyTomTom, then it apparently disappeared again.

So it might be fairly imminent.

I think its a case of 'watch this space' but don't hold your breath Rolling Eyes

Garmin 3598LTM-D
Android CoPilot
Navigon 72 Plus Live
TTGO540

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: