Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PDA navigation for car and hiking
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PDA navigation for car and hiking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Janneman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: PDA navigation for car and hiking Reply with quote

Hi everybody

I've decided to upgrade my PDA. Since they come with all these nifty navigation kits from TomTom and the like I am actually considering using it for navigation purposes as well. Seems reasonably easy to do when you live in Europe.

Now here's the thing. Me and my girl got hopelessly lost in Drakensberg Mountains in South Africa recently. No fun! Luckily my old boy-scout knowledge got us back on the proper track, but I would like to minimize my chances on it happening again.

So, when buying a PDA:
- is it possible to use it for hiking as well?
- what kind of hardware do I need? As far as I've seen it is either a "car-kit" or a dedicated GPS handheld.
- do I need additional software for that (and will it still work fine with e.g. Tom Tom navigator)?
- what system would you recommend, Palm or Pocket PC?

Thanks for the input

ps. I am in Hong Kong at the moment; anybody know a good shop that sells this stuff? Apparantly the locals dont's need GPS navigation Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the club... You need a different program for that (topographic). There are also some available for South Africa.

I would recommend a Pocket PC and a BlueTooth receiver. But that's purely my personal opinion - many folks are happy with dedicated handhelds.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
matty2767
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pocket pc would be the way to go if your needs are just navigation. but the palm is a much better overall purchase not least because it syncs better with windows but also it battery lasts for more than 2hrs.

i have a palm t2 with a garmin unit. linked together they act as sat nav and the garmin can be used alone for hiking etc.

tomtom do the t3 package including bluetooth receivor but i would still prefer a proper gps unit. so my ideal would be a t3 with a garmin unit.

with a gps unit they last for 20+hrs and only take AA batteries.

as an aside the garmin gpsmap76cs will do auto route navigation. ie. it will direct you like an car sat nav.
Janneman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Fortuna's on Reply with quote

Hi guys
thanks for the input. I have just made a eBay offer for the Fortuna Clip-On Bluetooth GPS Receiver. It had raving reports and all the stuff I need if I combine it with the Palm T3 I am going to buy. My laptop also has bluetooth, so that's another advantage.
So, now it's finding the right maps!
Thanks again
Jan
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
paulmk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If i were you i would recommend a bt gps receiver with replaceable batteries eg emtac trine, this will allow you to get many hours of use. i currently use memory map software for hillwalking and am very impressed with it and its ease of use. The emtrac trine also has a datalogger facility which i believe also means that you do not require to PDA to be kept on to log if yoy wish to log your route as i currently do. Battery time on the PDA is the biggest issue for me. I also acquired an acqua pack which allows you to access your PDA while keeping it totally waterproof - an excellent investment.

There is a download demo of the map software on www.memory-map.co.uk however i believe it will only work with Pocktet PC and not a palm.

Hope this is of use for you

Paul
Janneman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Pocket PC it is Reply with quote

Paul, thanks for your input.

Well, there's some news here. I actually bought the HP iPAQ 4150 in Hong Kong the other day (you actually can't get them in the Netherlands anymore - sold out completely!). Besides the wifi advantage I believe there is more software to choose from. At least, that's what I gather if I look at the software section in this GREAT SITE!

The Fortuna has not worked yet (somebody over-bid me). I am trying to get the bt-one for around €140. Anybody know if this is a good price?

I am actually not sure whether to go for a hardware / software combo that I choose myself, or a package deal. It sorta depends on the hastle and the extra features on getting the hardware/software combo right.
More suggestions?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want software that works both on the Pocket PC and the laptop/notebook then look at PrymeNav/Intellinav/Socket (it's all the same). Good entry level program for an acceptable price.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: