Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems again, after updating my tom tom map
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems again, after updating my tom tom map

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmymerlin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Problems again, after updating my tom tom map Reply with quote

Hi
Back in July, I paid to update the tom tom map on my 910 sat nav. As part of the deal Tom Tom would then send me a new updated map every quarter for 18 months.

When I updated the map back then, I lost all of my PWGPS speed camera warnings so I contacted you and you sent me some information and I had to look for ogg files on my device ( I think)

Now I have recieved my next map upgrade and exactly the same thing has happened again and I've lost my PWGPS warnings of cameras.

When looking at my device via my PC and opening the western europe map all of the PWGPS warings are in there but again no ogg files.

Please will you remind what I need to do again to get the warnings back and also, please will you let me know if there is anything I can do so that the next time I recieve a map update in approx 3 to 4 months time I won't loose my warnings again.

Many thanks

JimmyMerlin
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All POIs (including the speed cameras from here) have to go in the folder that the map itself lives in.
When you get a new map, it replaces the entirety of the old map folder, so all your POIs would get lost, and that's what used to happen.

Because of this, TomTom have re-written their Home software so it now SHOULD copy all the POI files over to the new map (although sometimes it still gets it wrong!)

BUT.... The original method used to add the VOICE warnings (the method you have used) was to give them the same names as the POI files and to put them in the map folder as well.
This was an undocumented "bodge" and Home was never written to allow for it.

The way TomTom now expect sounds or warning voices to be added is to put the audio files in the "sounds" folder on the device. This is explained as "Method 2" in the instructions to set up the speed camera alerts on this site. (near the bottom of THIS PAGE)

If you do that, your sounds won't get deleted every time.

(Also, as this might benefit other TomTom owners who won't see it here, I'll move the topic to the TomTom PND section)
jimmymerlin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: updating tom tom map Reply with quote

Thanks for such a quick reply.

I have just looked at the sounds folder in my tom tom 910 and it does contain ogg files, so can you suggest a reason why I don't get the voice warnings?

The last time I updated the map the ogg files disappeared from the sounds file and I had to put them back in again, but this time they are still in there.

Thanks

Jimmy Merlin
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sounds folder will usually contain SOME ogg files as the normal TT sound effects are put in there too, but does it contain your voice files?

What are the full names of the ogg files?

Assuming the right ones are in there, what do you see when you go to the "warn when near POI" setup page?
Do any of the PGPSW camera files have a little loudspeaker icon beside them?

If they DO then you have a fairly interesting problem which we need to look at further.

If they DON'T, then you probably still have the voice files but you have lost the settings file that tells the TT what sound file to play.

This file is called mapsettings.cfg and is one of the most talked about files on the TomTom, so if you try a forum search for that name you will find loads of information about how to save a copy of it, how to transfer it from one map to another, how to use Home to make it work again if a new version of software stops you using an old version of it etc. etc.

Let us know how you get on or if you're still stuck.
jimmymerlin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Name of ogg files Reply with quote

Hi

Here is an example of the files that are stored in my sounds folder on my tom tom 910:-

pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.ogg

and there are another 24 files in there that look like this, plus one other different type file.

With regards "Assuming the right ones are in there, what do you see when you go to the "warn when near POI" setup page?

I have looked at these on my tom tom and there are no loudspeaker icons beside them

I hope that helps but let me know if there is any more info you need.

Would it help if I took a screen shot of the contents of my tom tom and sent it for you to look at???? If so, is there an easy way to send this to you

Thanks

Jimmy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Name of ogg files Reply with quote

jimmymerlin wrote:

Here is an example of the files that are stored in my sounds folder on my tom tom 910:-

pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.ogg

and there are another 24 files in there that look like this, plus one other different type file.

Perfect, that sounds fine.

jimmymerlin wrote:

I have looked at these on my tom tom and there are no loudspeaker icons beside them

In which case it sounds like a very normal case of "warning settings getting lost". This happens a lot when people update their software.

EITHER
You can try connecting the Go to your PC, running TomTom Home, going to the "Operate my Go" section and then (using the PC interface) creating a new Favourite anywhere you like.

What that does is re-write the mapsettings.cfg file to match the new format and at the same time it often gets the warning settings going again.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

OR, if it doesn't
Just go to Preferences/Manage POIs/Warn when near POIs and set the warnings up for each camera type again (takes about 10 minutes if you're quick, 15 if you've not done it much before).

Once you have finished re-doing all the warning settings for every camera speed and type, make sure you do a complete backup.
I also find it worth making an extra copy of the mapsettings.cfg file form the map folder and saving it on the TomTom somewhere else (I put it in the root directory (i.e. not in any folder) where it is just ignored).
Then if you lose your settings again, you can just copy that file back into the map folder.
jimmymerlin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: putting camera warnings back onto my tom tom Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, I have followed what you have said and I think the warnings are now back on my tom tom.

Well done Andy_P.

Towards the end of your message to me you said "I also find it worth making an extra copy of the mapsettings.cfg file form the map folder and saving it on the TomTom somewhere else (I put it in the root directory (i.e. not in any folder) where it is just ignored).
Then if you lose your settings again, you can just copy that file back into the map folder".

Where excatly can I find this file please.

Many thanks

Jimmy Merlin
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mapsetting.cfg file is found in your specific map folder. So, use Explorer and copy it from the map folder to the root of the unit.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right.
Just to explain further, I would normally say keep a spare copy of that file on your PC, but that's no use to you if you are away from home when something goes pear-shaped and you lose your warning settings.

Keeping it somewhere on the unit itself just means that if you can get to a PC (and a USB cable) you can put the spare copy back into the map folder (overwriting whatever is there).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: