Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can one create voice files to replace beeps?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can one create voice files to replace beeps?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think they did a version of Audacity for the Mac, but I see they do!

Makes it even more impressive for free. Smile
ClassA
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I just installed Audacity and I can see it's going to take me some time to get up to speed with it. I have just started looking at the plug-ins, hoping to find an Ogg-Vorbis plug-in. Just looking at how to install MP3 plug-ins made me think that I need to get on with my life today and get back to it.

Thank you for putting me on track, Andy.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Audacity could export to OggVorbis format "out of the box". But I must admit it's so long ago I installed it I might have forgotten adding it.

The features list HERE seems to say it can
Quote:
Import and Export

Import sound files, edit them, and combine them with other files or new recordings. Export your recordings in several common file formats.

* Import and export WAV, AIFF, AU, and Ogg Vorbis files.
* Import MPEG audio (including MP2 and MP3 files) with libmad.
* Export MP3s with the optional LAME encoder library.

Have you tried it to see if the functionality is already there? Don't forget to use File / "Export as.." rather then "Save".

As you say though, you do need a plug-in to export to mp3.
The one I used was from here: http://lame.buanzo.com.ar/ and there's a tutorial on how to install it here: http://lame.buanzo.com.ar/tut/lame_tutorial_en/lametut01_en.html

Hope that helps!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audacity DOES export to OggVorbis - it must, because I haven't the faintest idea what you lot are talking about with plugs. And it's simple to use, even for somebody who was nearly 70 when I did mine!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
ClassA
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only thank you boys for nudging me on. I've done it. Dennis was right. Audacity does Ogg out of the box. It took about 30 minutes to make two files one for Wetherspoons ("Attention! Wetherspoons pub nearby.") and one for Waitrose (ahem..) ("Waitrose branch not far."). For those following in my footsteps all I had to do was set audacity to 16KHz sample rate and select Mono in a dropdown. I recorded the file using the Mac's buit-in mic. I then edited the file to top and tail it, removing silence at the beginning and end (highlighting these sections with the cursor and using Edit then split delete). Then I exported the files, and Ogg is an option in a dropdown. The file sizes are 29KB and 33KB. I played the files in VNC to check that they worked outside of Audacity. I copied them to the /sounds folder on the Tomtom and they work. Audacity looks like an amazing piece of software.

Thank you Andy and Dennis.

I'm called Dennis, too.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClassA wrote:
It took about 30 minutes to make two files
Well, I suppose slowly is one way! Twisted Evil Mine took longer - but then, I copied the siren from the downloads and then added the children's shouts, so I've got sort of "Dive! Dive! Dive! (but as whoop, whoop, whoop) Wake up Dennis, Mobile camera check ahead!" Again, credit to Andy who put me onto Audacity and told me how to do it.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
fanaloneman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there everyone,

I'm a bit of a newbie here though I've been registered with PocketGPS & been a lurker for ages.

Here's my problem I hope I can get some feedback.

I've just bought a TomTom Live and want to change the bleep for camera alerts to a voice for the speed traps that are already on my TomTom from their website. I haven't had the SatNav long and don't want to do anything too drastic to begin with.

I would like to add Vicki's voice but I'm confused with which file to download. As I understand, after I've have chosen which file to download , I then add the files to the sounds file on my TT then aasign them to the alert on the TT but which file do I download?

My next question is, there the ability to set the alert for the speed I'm travelling as the TT only alerts for a a particular type of camera at any speed. Is this correct?

I will probably ask more question later on how to do this although I hoping for a smooth operation. Although the instruction helped, they didn't help me achieve what I wanted specfically so perhaps one of you kind fellows could give a step by step instructions on how to add voices that are not part of GSPworld POI that are already installed on my device.

Just to add that I am on a Mac :-)

Another question I would like to ask which may be a bit off topic but seems appropiate for me to askk as this is my first post :-) is a feautre I found on another SatNav device I used to own (pogodrive) which was better for for speed traps than the TT. Two of the features are as follows.

The SatNav defaulted the whole screen to the speed I'm travelling in large numbers along with the speed limit of the road as I approach the trap.

There was also a countdown bleep which began at a user definable time or distance which sped up as I approached the trap and stopped once the danger was over which was also helpful.

There was also a menu option that allowed you to see just the speed you were travelling with the maximun speed limit for the road you were on instead of the road map. The speed trap warnings were still on but flashed when approaching a trap. This was good if you were on a route that you knew or didn't want the map but still wanted camera warnings.

My question is, is there such download for this here at GPSworld that can be downloaded to Tom Tom or is it possible to program such an option? Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance for any help.

fm
fanaloneman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's OK I''ve worked it out I should have done more research before asking my bad Embarassed
ClassA
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Having boasted that I made two voice alerts in 30 minutes, using Audacity, I found that they were significantly quieter than my other alerts, and I couldn't hear them properly when I was driving. I imported my alerts back into Audacity and increased their volume using the Amplify item in Audacity's Effect menu, increasing their level until the onset of clipping. Now they are fine.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: