Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom one XL v2 - USA Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom one XL v2 - USA Maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
obeone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Tomtom one XL v2 - USA Maps Reply with quote

Hi
A bit of advice if you please.
A friend has asked me about a sat nav. Cheap. Nothing fancy, no bells, whistles, bluetooth etc, etc. ( i.e. a MKII atlas Laughing )
I recommended he stick to Garmin or Tomtom. Agree??
Knowing nothing about Garmin I said I would go for a TT One XL V2.

Or could anyone recommend an alternative make/model?

He wants to put USA maps on it. (not interested in European maps). I know the V2 has no SD card, but has it the capacity to take USA maps alongside the UK ones - I think the download is approx 800mb.

Thanks
Steve
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its got 2 in the header avoid it. they are much lower spec versions.
if they dont come with american maps then i dont think you can add maps to other system.
i bought a 930 with 4gb hard drive and that wasnt enough space to update to the latest uk/eu/usa maps so i had to buy a 8gb sd card.
so if it hasnt got an sd card slot youve got no chance.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Start and Start2 "regional" (i.e. Uk and Ireland) versions have 1GB memory. The "Europe" version has 2GB.
If you go to the TT on-line mapshop they warn about limited memory.

I don't know where you found a US map download for 800MB. The only ones I can see are:
North America (for 2GB machines) @ 1393.5 MB
and USA @1549.2 MB

So a regional version wouldn't do, you'd need to get a "Europe" one and then buy the extra North America map for it. Probably not a very cost effective route....

How about a Refurbished 'GO 930' or 'XL IQ Routes Europe'? Although they are both out of stock from the TomTom outlet store at the moment, you might find one elsewhere.. A much more capable machine.

Or go to the US version of the TT website by changing the country in the drop-down box at the top left of http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/ and see what could be bought in dollars with only US mapping.
obeone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys - I'll pass it On. I mentioned the Go930, then noticed it was out of stock!!

Take your point on version 2's but he really does only want a bog standard Sat Nav

The 'download' map on the TT store for USA (XL) only seems to show it at 769mb - and the USA/Canada only marginally bigger, or have I read it wrong?

How reliable are the refurb units - any experiences?

Thanks
Steve
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obeone wrote:

The 'download' map on the TT store for USA (XL) only seems to show it at 769mb - and the USA/Canada only marginally bigger, or have I read it wrong?

You're right, there does seem to be a "sub 1GB" version on the US website, but for some reason that version is not available in the UK, so your friend may have trouble getting hold of it if he buys the hardware in the UK

obeone wrote:

I got a refurb 720 in exchange when my original one died. It looked brand new, the screen was obviously brand new - still had the protective film on it, and it even came with the Latest map guarantee.

Although the internal memory did eventually give up the ghost on it, I think I was just unlucky - It lasted me as long as other people's new ones! I still use it, running everything off an SD card; and if it wasn't for the lack of Live Services, it would still be my favourite TomTom! Much "snappier" response to screen taps then the newer models.
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Quote:
I got a refurb 720 in exchange when my original one died. It looked brand new, the screen was obviously brand new - still had the protective film on it, and it even came with the Latest map guarantee.

same as Andy above but i got one of the last 930 refurbs.
looked and felt as new in a sealed box.
had one hiccup though.
after updating all the maps to the latest (even though it says you dont get them with referb units most people have managed to get them for free via home). i stored all my updated maps on the sd card.
traveled to victoria to renew passport a few weeks ago and even though ive lived in london all my life i certainly needed the tomtom to get me there. on the home trip i was stopped at lights and the screen dimmed and froze. it went a greyish green colour and not like when it has lost satelite signal. 30 seconds later it re booted and came up to the welcome to tomtom i agree sign (like it had just had an update when connected to a computer) which you dont normally get on normal startup.

ive now put my western central europe map back on the internal hd and have my next long journey on saturday and monday. hopefully it will behave itself.

tbh referb units are the best way to get older (2007/08) units which arent available in the shops anymore. they are still as good as new except for one thats been reported on another forum and tomtom replaced that without any problem.
obeone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments/advice - appreciated as always
He's got until Xmas yet so time to look around - Failing that he could always borrow mine Idea

Steve

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: