Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Unable to clear the log.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Unable to clear the log.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One further thought, if this works, you may need to do a factory rest (setting, Default, Clear All) to delete any route files in the internal memory of the active 10.
Gwyver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Still failing Reply with quote

DavidSteward wrote:
I can still not start a new walk with an empty .gpx file stored on the Active 10.
Now the problem occurs no matter which option I select from the Trip Menu Log page I can't delete the .gpx file from the Active 10 in readiness for the next walk.

David

Apologies if you are already aware of this:-
Whenever the Active 10 is powered-up it uses a file called All_Raw_Tracks.gpx - which continuously has the latest position co-ordinates appended to it at 1 second intervals.

You can verify this by deleting this file using the SatSync program. The file will momentarily disappear and very shortly afterwards you will see that a new file with the same name is recreated. It starts of at ~1Kb in size and grows in proportion to the time the Active is switched on until such time as you do a Reset_All from the Trip Log menu, or delete the file again using SatSync.

As others have mentioned, if you wish to generate a separate track file for each trip you take, then at the end of each trip do a Reset_and_Convert_Trail action from the Trip Log menu and - when prompted - respond 'Yes' to save the trail data. When you subsequently decide to upload the trips into your computer you will see a separate .gpx file (with a filename comprising date+start_time+trip_length) for each trip.

Hope this helps.
kvdnberg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also worth noting that the Raw GPX file for the track (i.e. "2010-08-16_2107 1034km Raw.gpx") contains all the GPS position info from the time of the last reset until the moment you have converted the trial to a track. So NOT the time you started the trip log.

What I do when I do a trip I want to record:

Upon arrival at the start location and after acquiring a sattelite fix:
1. Go to trip log screen, press menu, select "Reset all",
2. On trip log screen, press "start"

Upon the end of the trip
1. Go to trip log screen, press "stop"
2. Make a screenshot of the trip log data (by pressing the backlight boost button for several seconds until camera icon appears at the top right)
3. Go to menu, select "Convert trail to track"

Upon arriving at home
1. Connect the satmap to the computer
2. Start Satsync
3. On the SD card, select the screenshot, .map file and raw gpx file starting with the date and time I started my trip and select "export" to put the files on my computer. When Satsync asks which format I want to use to export the .map file(s), I select GPX.
4. Open that GPX file in Google Earth

Here's the screenshot of SatSync with the relevant files highlighted (in this case the screenshot is from another day but I think you get the idea)

Notes: I do not use Reset All & Convert because I've had one experience where the conversion went wrong, it contained only 1 waypoint and because in the settings it was also set to the default to reset the trail whenever you select a route I lost the whole trail. Now I check the converted route before I reset, just in case (though it never happened again)

I have found that the time information in the standard file (.map converted to GPX) is incorrect and inconsistent, so for geotagging photos using geosetter I use the trip's raw file.

And just to repeat/clarify: resetting trip data has NO effect on the All_Raw_Tracks.gpx file.
DavidSteward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will try it out tomorrow.

David
DavidSteward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: It works Reply with quote

Thanks to kvdnberg it works.

At the start of the walk I press Reset All and then start to begin recording.

At the end of the walk I press stop and then Convert Track To Trail.
This allows me to copy the .gpx file to my iMac and drop it into Google Earth then distribute the screen shot and .gpx file to the other walkers.

Next query what can I read the .map file with on my iMac?

Thanks
David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: