Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Windows 7
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows 7
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daimlerblue
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Windows 7 Reply with quote

Since i last installed Pocketgap cameras i have aquired Windows 7 system for my sins ........so a completley new installation is now required.....does windows 7 need a special set up?..............i think im in danger of losing all my Tom Tom files i cant for the life of me install the programme....i want to use the voice discription for each camera i have a Tom Tom 910 deluxe...
Is there anywhere i can visit to get an installation done please..JOE... Embarassed
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

Pardon me for asking, but are you something of a computer novice?

Windows 7 is more or less as easy to use as whatever you were using before it. How did you come to get Windows 7? Did you upgrade your existing computer to Win 7, or did you buy a new computer?

When did you last install the cameras? Last week, or last year or something. Because the method for installing the cameras is pretty much identical.

To be honest, as you only joined yesterday, it doesn't seem as though you have previously installed the PocketGPSWorld cameras. Are you a subscribed member? (I have no access to membership records, so I don't know - you need a subscription to get the cameras).

Can you tell us briefly what you used to do to install the cameras. Or did you do this.......
A) Download the cameras from PocketGPSWorld.
B) Unzip the cameras.
C) Copy and paste them into your 910's map folder.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe and welcome to the forum.
ive just updated mine in the last 5 minutes using 7 ultimate and its exactly the same as with vista and xp.
ok the first time i done it many moons ago it took about 10-15 minutes to work out which file to download and where to put it but trust me,its like riding a bike,you never forget.
you have many very helpfull members on here that will point you in the right direction.
daimlerblue
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:48 am    Post subject: PC novice....../...numpty Reply with quote

Hi guys thanks for the interest..........i did have my Tom Tom working on XP as i got advice in detail from a member of Pocket gaps..........the TT worked great with the voice naming cameras insted of bells ringing and cows mooing..........then i had to buy another PC as my old PC just died of old age..........this however has Win 7 included from new and i have problems with it .........you are right im a really serious PC / IT novice.
Even the simple named sections go over my head..........i have managed to download the cameras i think from the graph in here relating to the Tom Tom 910 and i hoped it contained the text to voice bit where you typed what you wanted it to say.........after opening the Zipped file it says
open or save...........i pressed open and it started i think downloading.
Then it stopped as a photo prog couldnt open a file as it didnt know what created it.........then all hell let loose with over 2000 in the memory and it was full in no time, if there is anyone in my area who can help to set it up for me then i would be grateful.......many thanks
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would love to help but im in london so a bit difficult.
the guys on here will help you walk through what to do. im at work now so cant do much but ill try to help tonight.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I would suggest doing it in two stages - get the cameras installed and working first, then when that is all OK consider adding the voice warnings. It's so much easier to diagnose any issues if we limit the number of changes that are being made at any one time.

You shouldn't open the files contained in the zip folder when downloaded to your PC - you just need to copy them to your TomTom without opening them.

Have you tried following the video tutorial located here to install your cameras? It's not written for Windows 7, but the differences are minimal - you shouldn't have too much difficulty following them.
daimlerblue
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all you guys sorry for not replying to you ASAP but i did a naughty.....i deleted my Tom Tom maps while trying to delete the thousand odd files in my Sat Nav that i had loaded...........the only recourse was to go to Tom Tom and either ask them to replace the missing maps or pay for an updated map to bring my 910 up to date ...........this i did..........my fault....
So i will see if the Sat nav itself is working then i will try to get a pal of mine to come round and load the Pocketgaps on to my sat nav to get the voice cameras working again........i do appreciate your help its just me thats a numpty.......Joe Embarassed
djc1610
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You MUST always do a full back up using Windows Explorer (Not TomTom Home) before making any significant changes to your sat nav.

When you make a mistake such as deleting a map you will than have the backup to fall back on.

VW RNS 510 and TomTom 5200 World
cleggie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to sound flash but

There are enough guides etc on this site to walk you thru

downloading and setting up maps
downloading and setting up the pocketgps speed cams
customising voices and speed alerts to your own preference
Even backing up everything before you attempt to do anything in case you cock everything up

so surely if as you say you aint got a clue read everything here to make sure first before doing anything

But how did you get the pocketgps cams

are you a member and got them by paying subs
or by downloading from a torrent site or similiar

i subscribed for a year and they are great much better than tomtom ones

but i am waiting to see if there are going to be problems now before renewing as tomtom say they are going to stop third party stuff working with tomtom
I dont want to pay for another 12 months to find out they wont work
daimlerblue
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Tom Tom v Pocketgaps Reply with quote

Gleggie.......your point re the continuation of PG on TT .........seems ok to me as i had to contact Tom Tom to buy the new maps. Embarassed They did all sorts of checks and found basically i had deleted the installed map..while trying to delete the overstocking of my memory......no warnings or references were made re the PG files i had on my memory............i purchased the latest GB & NI maps and then did the back up.
When i return home i intend to persevere with the Pocketgap camera installation then as suggested in here................then install the voice part.
I know i have had a lot of advice and help with the installation but it went over my head..............but a few things i had on my mind have now been cleared so i will persevere..........maybe as these things do it will probably go straight in with no problems ..........many thanks once again guys.....Joe
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daimlerblue, as a self confessed numpty (I'm sure you are not), if you have any problems understanding the terms used (some people have difficulty understanding the difference between files and folders, for instance), please ask. Someone here will help. Very Happy Good luck, you will find it worth the all effort when you have PGPSW database installed on your satnav. Very Happy
daimlerblue
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having done a back up on TT Home after installing the new map from TT Embarassed i attempted the installation of the cameras........the zipped file was there so i did a download to my Tom Tom as mentioned.....i find that ther are (i think far too many files once again) installed. Embarassed .....i would like to uninstall all camera files and start again .....but i dont want to lose my maps again.....
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you think there are too many files?

The download only contains the files you need. No extras or un-needed files.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daimlerblue wrote:
Having done a back up on TT Home after installing the new map from TT Embarassed i attempted the installation of the cameras........the zipped file was there so i did a download to my Tom Tom as mentioned.....i find that ther are (i think far too many files once again) installed. Embarassed .....i would like to uninstall all camera files and start again .....but i dont want to lose my maps again.....

Didn't you read what was said before?You were told to do backups using Windows Explorer rather than TT Home. Home only ever does one backup and that replaces any previous backup, so if you have a problem on your device, Home will copy the problem as your one and only backup!

So a simple question and don't start answering any others or doing anything else until we have found out your answer .....

Do you know how to use Windows Explorer?" "Windows Explorer" is NOT "Internet Explorer".

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
daimlerblue
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis, no i didnt know how to do a backup with windows explorer.....but i havnt changed anything.....what is on my TT is what i have.....its a TT 910

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: