Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - M20 Speed cams around J5 / J6
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

M20 Speed cams around J5 / J6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gav28
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
gav28 wrote:
The same system has been successfully used on the M25 and as part of the M42 Active Traffic Management trial, where vehicle emissions have been reduced by between 2% and 10% and weekday traffic noise has been significantly reduced.

Ah, so that would explain why the limit is often set to 40 or 50MPH even with no congestion, they aren't helping the motorist, it is all for the "Green" lobby - what a joke - Mike

Exactly! It makes for some interesting driving when the traffic is happily moving along at 80, when ahead the amber lights are flashing 50, talking about breaking hard when somebody decides to obey the "advisory" signs, they see the lines on the road and panic!! :-) The coast bound speed restricted area is in totally the wrong place, the area should be just before J4, until J5, that way it will help traffic join the M20 where only 3 lanes exist. Where they are now, there has never been congestion!!! It's daft!

Gavin
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had worse than that.... On the day I was supposed to be trying to verify the new positions, the martix signs were in complete disarray with TWENTY MPH appearing on some and the red "X" for LANE CLOSED - STOP on others.
But the next gantry would be showing something totally different.

It was bedlam, with people braking sharply and swerving from one lane to another, if there weren't any accidents it would have been a miracle.
Matt865
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bump such an old topic, but I'm wondering what, if any, new information came from this. I drive the M20 coast bound and back again every weekday and have noticed engineers working on the cameras again very recently. There are white lines on the road in every lane under every gantry for several miles before junction 7 where I exit . The white lines are also on the slip road when you leave J7 coast bound.

How is PGPS's coverage of this area now? Are these all speed cameras and are they all active? Do they measure your average speed to check if it is in compliance with the electronic speed signs when they have red rings?

Lots of questions I know, but good coverage of this area (TomTom speed cams have just two alerts on this part of the M20 right now) would seal the deal for a PGPS speedcam subscription.

Thanks!

Google Earth link showing some of the gantries: http://tinyurl.com/adw7bf
gav28
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the cameras are active on the M20 yet, apparently word has it there has been a balls-up in legal paperwork! They were meant to be live towards the end of last year.

You'll know when they are active, the over-head gantry flashing signs will change from the amber flashing signs, to the red circle, with the speed limit within it. As per normal speed limit signs.

cheers
Matt865
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the reply. Smile
gav28
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dropped another email to the powers-that-be asking when they will be live. I received the following reply:-

[quote]
Thank you for your further email dated 23 January 2009, regarding the above.

We are still working on the installation of the Controlled Motorway system between junctions 4 and 7, and we anticipate this will be completed during summer 2009, but as yet no fixed date has been confirmed.

Please note that the speed limit shown on the gantries are advisory unless displayed in a red circle.

[end-quote]

So a few more months to go!

Gavin
darrencripps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive the M20 Ashford to South London almost every day of the week.

Recently, in addition to the white 'speed lines' underneath almost every gantry in this area, they have now erected 'Variable Speed Limit' signs at the Eastbound and Westbound entries to the section. However, these have since been covered in a bodged fashion with a muslin type material; I assume to indicate that once again the speed cameras are still to be activated.....

Nokia E71: with OVI Maps amd TTN6 (with Live Subscription) : Nokia BH800 Handsfree : CoPilot Bluetooth GPS unit (MDA Vario with CoPilot Live 6 gathering dus
gav28
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heads-up anybody who uses the M20, the speedcamera's are going live!!

M20 Controlled Motorways Junctions 4 to 7

We are writing on behalf of the Highways Agency to update you on the M20 Controlled Motorways Junctions 4 to 7 scheme, which you had contacted us about previously.

The scheme is designed to tackle the issue of local congestion on the motorway by keeping traffic moving, and will go live during the week commencing 23 August with enforcement from Kent Police.

Please find attached a copy of the leaflet about the Controlled Motorway.

If you would like further information including responses to frequently asked questions on the scheme, please visit our dedicated webpage at:

www.highways.gov.uk/m20controlledmotorway

Please contact me if I can be of any further help.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gav28 wrote:

We are writing on behalf of the Highways Agency.....

....Please contact me if I can be of any further help.

Was this meant to be a quote from elsewhere, or are you actually from the Highways Agency yourself, Gav28?
gav28
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, it was a cut & paste jobbie from an email I received from the highways agency.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: