Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Start Europe - Greece Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Start Europe - Greece Maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grillphil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: TomTom Start Europe - Greece Maps Reply with quote

Hi,

I will be driving through europe from the UK to Greece and have been looking at the TomTom Start Europe SatNav.
This device has all the road mapping until you reach the Greek Border so my question is, can a map be purchased for this device for Greece.

Does anyone know as the Spec on this device says that there are no downloadable maps available from TomTom.

Thanks chaps.

Phil.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what specs you are referring to but the TT UK site DOES show Greece available for your unit.

See here:
http://www.tomtom.com/products/maps/select.php?D=77&M=642
grillphil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dhn,

The spec info on this unit says "MapSource (download option)............No" and it also does not have a compatible memory card, so a map will have to be downloaded to its internal memory if there is room.

I may call them to clarify.

Cheers Phil
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of interest, I bought the Greece map earlier this year and used it in Corfu.

I had two "problems" with it.

First, the mapping was not brilliant, quite a lot of roads missing or wrong, and it did not differentiate between tarmac and unsurfaced roads - you may be unhappy about travelling through the countryside via an apparent stream bed as opposed to a longer tarmac route. This may be much less of a problem on the mainland.

Second, the Navigate to item was hard to get right - the Englishified Greek names for places was very strange for some and not too easy for others. For example, it required MP for B (as in Benitses). There were a lot of places with the same name, requiring me to know what district they are in (and I didn't know!). My Greek host had his own version of the place names which often didn't agree with the map version.

Still, at least for our next visit in a fortnight, I've downloaded a Greek voice to torment him with - having very limited English it took him a long time to learn "Turn around when possible" Laughing

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
grillphil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info. Very detailed. I may go for the TT 750 Eu as the maps are pre installed, mind you at £240.00!!!! Ouch!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: