Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help - Map updates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help - Map updates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich-1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Help - Map updates Reply with quote

Having spent the last 3hours looking through recent threads and trying to understand the best way to update to the new maps, I am quite confused if it's even worth trying and would appreciate some help.

My 930T (4Gb) has W&C Europe (1.8Gb) together with NAmerica (1.5Gb) on the internal drive. Trying to avoid possible problems with downloading to an SDHC, in order to make space for the new and complete (not zoned)European map (2.3GB), can I remove the North America map off the internal memory on to my PC (via TT Home) to make space for the new update. When I need the NA map, presumably I could re-instate it, or at least shift it to an SDHC card? Any suggestions would be highly appreciated as the Map deal of 6qtrs for the price of 4 expires in a couple of days. I realize I need to make some tweaks in order not to overwrite existing favourites/POIs, but that's a smaller issue.
Thanks
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, your plan will work.......

After moving your NA map folder to the computer AND making sure it is there, simply remove the NA folder from internal.

When you connect the 930 to Home for the European update, it should recognize all 4 gigs on internal as available and, therefore, offer up the complete map.

In fact, if you can (and want) to update the NA map in the future, then simply move the entire European map folder to the computer, copy back the existing NA map to 930's internal, and it should see all 4 gigs in order to offer the unsimplified NA map.

Then, get yourself a 4-gig sdhc card, move the new NA map to it, insert the sdhc card into the 930, copy back the entire European map from the computer to internal and you are good to go! Wink
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
Then, get yourself a 4-gig sdhc card
Hey, why not spoil yourself and get an 8Gig SDHC card and put the lot on it, save the messing with transferring back and forth? - 8Gig cards are cheap enough these days (make sure you get a Class 6 or faster one). Shocked

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Rich-1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DennisN, but would that work? TT website says the 930 can only take a 4Gb card. I have a spare 8Gb, but am awaiting delivery of a 4Gb class6 card (hopefully by tomorrow when TT offer expires) ordered last week, because of the assumed 4Gb limit (according to TT).

My big concern was whether the TT Home function of "move to computer" and then onto a card, would infact work and not cause loss of the NA map, so I could'nt re-instate for when I travel to the US. Never having used it, I am not overconfident in TT's ability to properly carry out some of these changes.

I expect that technically its prefarable to have the Europe map on the internal drive rather than a card because of speed?
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The web site is WRONG (what else is new?).

The x30 Go series with the latest application can handle up to a 32-gig sdhc card with no problem.
Rich-1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol - you should still be in bed!
No surprise there then; wish I had known that earlier
Thanks
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

running 8gb here on 930 with no problems at all.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich-1 wrote:
My big concern was whether the TT Home function of "move to computer" and then onto a card, would infact work and not cause loss of the NA map, so I could'nt re-instate for when I travel to the US. Never having used it, I am not overconfident in TT's ability to properly carry out some of these changes.

Don't you know how to use Windows Explorer? I didn't even know Home did this sort of thing (and I wouldn't trust it to do so if I had known). Home has some idiosyncrasies which are best avoided whenever possible and we know the Home backup procedure is unreliable, so anything similar like you're talking about could be just the same! Using Windows Explorer, you simply copy and paste from your TomTom onto your computer.

That is the same as the way in which you do a backup using Win Explorer (NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use Home to do backups, only Windows Explorer). And before you do any of the things you're talking about now, do a (Win Explorer) backup and check that it has appeared on your computer. Then you can play to your heart's content, in the full knowledge that you have a complete copy on your computer to use for restoration.

Rich-1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again. Didn't realise it was that simple! I knew to take back-ups via copy and paste as a secondary safety measure, but did not expect a map to be that portable in view of copywrite.

You mean I can use explorer to copy the NAmerica directory from internal memory staight on to an SD card, and it will work off the SD card? Once done, should I just delete in the main drive, or rather follow TT Home "move to computer" process so I have a useable backup. That's great and will give me the space for the complete new Europe map, and NAmerica in my SD slot.

The NAmerica directory has a "cline.dat" file which I assume is the map, but inaddition also stacks of European POIs which are also replicated in the main memory-weired. Naturally, I would copy the complete directory as there must also be US POIs there.

Appreciate your help—I looked in the "sticky" FAQs but couldn't find an answer to my particular situation.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Yes, you can simply copy the NA folder (using Explorer) to the sdhc card and the application will see it just fine.
2. Yes, once you are sure it's on the card, delete the NA folder from the unit. Use Explorer. As Dennis and others emphasize, don't trust HOME at all!
3. You can dump the European poi ov2 files from the NA map folder. Won't do any good there, only take up space and is another reason not to trust Home to do anything right.
Rich-1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys do a great job - much appreciated! Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

URGENT!!! Copy the folder to your PC first, then copy it to the SDHC card using a card reader. There have been problems (failures) trying to copy direct from the 930 to the SDHC card if it's in the 930.

dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis good advice, I guess...but, in truth, I've never had an issue copying (using a file manager) from my 720 to the included sdhc card and vice versa.

Mind you, as we all know, it only takes one problem, eh? Smile
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was Mike who warned about it if I remember rightly. I ignored his advice once and bought a GO550. Nuff said!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: