Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Keep warning settings after dbase update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Keep warning settings after dbase update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinfog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Keep warning settings after dbase update Reply with quote

I update my Tomtom1 every time there is a new dbase issued (by copying the new ones & pasting them into the amp folder on the device).
I then have to go through each one to re-instate the warning sounds I prefer as the default sound is too quiet.

Is it possible to keep the sounds I associate with each poi (speed limit)?

Cheers & be lucky everyone
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are simply copying a new speed camera database to the device using the same type of download you shouldn't need to do anything with the warning set up as it remains the same (nothing has changed as far as the device is concerned as all the file names remain the same) - Mike
pinfog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Thanks but.. Reply with quote

After update I still get a warning & I get it at the same distance but the warning sound reverts to a bell sound instead of the siren that I prefer (& - more importantly - notice).
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then try the alternate way of setting up the warnings as that shouldn't get reset each time, note we have seen this before and have never worked out why this issue affects certain units:

With the arrival of v7 software a new method is now available that allows you to add your own sounds or voices for POI warnings.

If you explore your TomTom device with a file manager (e.g. Windows Explorer, Finder etc) you should find an empty folder called "sounds" (if not, then you can manually create one). Any .wav or .ogg format sound files you paste into this folder will appear on the same page as the usual Sound Effects such as "Bell1", "Cow" etc. You can also paste folders containing collections of sound files in this "sounds" folder and they will appear as clickable folders.

Ogg files are preferred as their file sizes are much smaller than wavs. If you need to convert .wav files to .ogg format you can use the free sound editor "Audacity" to achieve this. Note that .wav files can be 11025kHz or 16kHz sample rate but MUST be 16 bit. 8 bit samples will be displayed as options on the page but cannot be played.

All the TomTom format sound files available here are compatible with this installation method, you can place them in the sounds folder, select them and preview them in the same way you can the other built-in sound effects.

The only problem here is that the naming convention we use puts pocketgps_ at the beginning of the filename. This is necessary to support our preferred installation method above which requires the sound files have identical file names to the database files they are intended for use with. This results in the part of the name which identifies the sound effect being at the end i.e. pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.

When you see the files on the sound effects page, only the first 10 or so characters of the name get shown, so they will all just show "PocketGPSWo...". Either use the 'preview' button to hear them first or rename the files before copying to the sounds folder to make them more easily located i.e. gatso30, specs70 etc

I hope this makes sense, its taken straight from the speed camera sounds download page - Mike
pinfog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Thanks...we'll see Reply with quote

Renaming files so they display in a clear manner seems a good tip. My unit says version 8; I'll do what we so often forget & backup first using TT Home. As a taxi driver I find my PocketGPSWorld subscription excellent value with the info very accurate. Thanx - topic closed now.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks...we'll see Reply with quote

pinfog wrote:
I'll do what we so often forget & backup first using TT Home.
Please don't do that. Shocked

Use Windows Explorer to do the Backup, It's so much safer.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks...we'll see Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
pinfog wrote:
I'll do what we so often forget & backup first using TT Home.
Please don't do that. Shocked

Use Windows Explorer to do the Backup, It's so much safer.

TT Home only does ONE backup and overwrites any previous one with it, so if you have a dodgy device, Home will back it up and you won't be able to correct it easily. Also, Home does not always backup every file on the device, apparently in order to save time and/or space - if it backs up half of your device, when you come to restore it, you'll only get half a device restore (e.g. some people have even reported losing the navigation voices!!).

Windows Explorer backup is a copy and paste of everything on the device to a folder on your PC, created and named by you - e.g. a backup today goes into folder named Backup 2010-08-08. Next backup tomorrow goes into a new folder named Backup 2010-08-09 and so on (of course, nobody backs up every day, that's just to give you an idea). Usually, we give them more descriptive names containing information on them, like application and/or map version.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
pinfog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the advice guys Reply with quote

Interesting & informative.

Cheers & be lucky

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: