Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New 3790T has arrived - first comments
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New 3790T has arrived - first comments
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - it's a bit late - it's packed. I did remove the speed cameras from it and put it back to the files I copied off when I first bought it.

Alan
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave a negative review of the unit on Amazon's site too.

The more people that are "alerted" to this units screwed up firmware the better, in fact it might have some bonus side-effects.

1/ It might get Garmin to get cracking with a new firmware.

2/ It might lower the price, because people aren't buying them. Very Happy
jdgwinnell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back from an instructive trip with the 3790T being fed by GTM 35 next to the 1490T being fed by GTM 25 - antennae horizontal and side-by-side. From here to Haverhill is a traffic info signal marginal zone - the two traffic icons were intermittently showing green for about the same time on the way there, but on the back the GTM 25 picked up traffic info for about 15 minutes longer than the GTM 35. So I've swapped them over - the 3790T seems happy to be fed by the GTM 25, and I'll keep the GTM 35 for when I need traffic service subscriptions in the more exotic parts of Europe...

What was informative - and distracting - was the significant superiority of the display and detail shown by the 3790 over the 1490; not just the improved resolution and better colour scheme, but more roads better drawn and with more information (from identical versions of the map, CNEU 2011.10 on each). Any lingering doubt about hanging on to it was dispelled by this head-to-head. Because of the increased detail from the elevation data the 3790 has to work harder than the 1490 when redrawing the map, and you can see the tiles popping up in order into the distance. Also, something I hadn't noticed before, on-screen straight-line artefacts caused by the tile edges, looking like small grey roads.

I think Alan must have had a faulty unit - I've still had no instances of involuntary reboots. Once Garmin get the POI and routing issues sorted out in an update to the firmware, it will genuinely be the top of their range.
Montana 650, Oregon 650
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Firmware Updates Reply with quote

It seems like people either enjoy complaining or just never learn

New products in just about every field have teething issues and non more so than software

Early adopters (should) know there will be problems, but is can be part of the fun in getting a new gadget. Lets face it, some of the tech in the new 3790t is there just to please us, not because its necessary or needed

Garmin will sort it out, and soon probably. If nothing else, they have a great history of very regular firmware updates for their units

Lets face it, i'm 39, cost a lot more than the 3790t and am in need for more than a firmware update...! I hope I don't get returned quite yet

So few things are perfect and just reading their complaints makes me WANT one more, just to see what all their fuss is about Rolling Eyes Wink
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
JoshT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks a nice device, but given the fact that Garmin have not addressed issues I have on my Nuvi 660 TMC I will not be throwing good money after bad on another Garmin device.
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have kept it if it didn't keep rebooting itself.

Alan
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Firmware Updates Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:

New products in just about every field have teething issues and non more so than software

Early adopters (should) know there will be problems, but is can be part of the fun in getting a new gadget. Lets face it, some of the tech in the new 3790t is there just to please us, not because its necessary or needed

Garmin will sort it out, and soon probably. If nothing else, they have a great history of very regular firmware updates for their units

Lets face it, i'm 39, cost a lot more than the 3790t and am in need for more than a firmware update...! I hope I don't get returned quite yet

So few things are perfect and just reading their complaints makes me WANT one more, just to see what all their fuss is about Rolling Eyes Wink

Some points:

1/ Early adopters of the Iphone didn't have many problems so why should we have to put up with them on a brand new 3790T?

2/ You test a product rigorously covering every option going before you put it to market, so you don't get complaints.

3/ First impressions count & last, this is the first Garmin that I'd tried and to be quite honest, I'm not overly impressed, it definitely doesn't have the flexibility of a TT.

4/ Garmin CS sucks, they've not bothered to reply to my email, unlike TT who've replied to each one within 24-36hrs.

5/ They shouldn't need to keep rewriting the soft/firmware it should be thoroughly tested before release to ensure it's bug free in the first place.

6/ xtraseller, I think unless we kill you & liquefy you there's not a chance of you being returned to where hence you came from.
darrengsaw
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Firmware Updates Reply with quote

Wazza_G wrote:
xtraseller wrote:

Some points:

1/ Early adopters of the Iphone didn't have many problems so why should we have to put up with them on a brand new 3790T?

2/ You test a product rigorously covering every option going before you put it to market, so you don't get complaints.

3/ First impressions count & last, this is the first Garmin that I'd tried and to be quite honest, I'm not overly impressed, it definitely doesn't have the flexibility of a TT.

4/ Garmin CS sucks, they've not bothered to reply to my email, unlike TT who've replied to each one within 24-36hrs.

5/ They shouldn't need to keep rewriting the soft/firmware it should be thoroughly tested before release to ensure it's bug free in the first place.

6/ xtraseller, I think unless we kill you & liquefy you there's not a chance of you being returned to where hence you came from.

Interesting how different people's perceptions are polarised.

1/ iphone 4 users aren't all a happy bunch, particularly those left handers out there

4/ Garmins service is not great, but I have heard far worse about TomTom.

5/ TomTom are notoriously renowned for throwing out appalling software updates, e.g. the current v 9 navcore has totally disabled live services on x40 units. Laughing Out Loud.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A week and a half and only a single re-boot during that period, no other issues with the device at all.

The Eco score is certainly different but actually something that works very well, routes have all been more than acceptable - So far I am more than happy with my 3790T - Mike
Bohica
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had mine a couple of weeks now and no issues..........

Very pleased with unit, a bit different to a HX4700 running CoPilot off a Holux GPS mount........

When I was looking to replace my existing setup, I did a lot of research, read the reviews, and the online manuals for a number of options, so I basically new what I was getting...........
p-brain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: I like it, but the odd routing worries me! Reply with quote

Just to add a few more of my views having now used my 3790t for 2 weeks. I am generally really pleased with it, but then it is my first Sat Nav, so perhaps I am not as demanding as some other users!

1) Routing (in the UK at least) does seem a little odd quite often! I have it set to provide me with the fastest route, and yet it still insists on routing me through built up areas at busy times when there are non-urban alternatives which I know are a) a shorter distance, and b) a faster route.
The unit itself even confirms the latter, as when i press re-route and it routes me on a more sensible route, it then confirms that the journey time is shorter.

So I am concerned that it is NOT using the shortest journey time route, despite being set to do so.

I need a SatNav that I can trust to make the best decisions when I am driving an unfamiliar route. My testing on familiar routes has not yet given me much confidence in this ability.

2) My chosen voice - British English - Daniel cannot say the word 'road' properly!! (I very minor annoyance)

3) I am still patiently wating for Garmin to implement route transfer to the 37xx series.

4) Voice command is a nice feature, however I would very much like the list of voice commands to increase - ie to enable access to settings, and in particular phone settings - ie to select bluetooth phone to connect to, and also enable voice control of paired phone.

5)Bluetooth pairing, and use with, an iPhone 3GS was very easy to set up, and works well.

6) No rebooting issues as some others have reported.

More oservations to follow!
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have Garmin issued a new firmware yet to resolve the issues affecting POI's etc or is it still bug ridden? Evil or Very Mad
jdgwinnell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: minor firmware update Reply with quote

The MyGarmin Dashboard this morning applied a couple of very small firmware updates - no indication of what they were, and no increment in the Firmware version on the unit (2.20). Also the update process does not work as Garmin forecast, or as I have experienced on other units: once disconnected the unit does not switch itself on, nor is there a 'loader' or 'updating' screen once switched on manually. After the first attempt the Dashboard said there was still an update to do, so I went through the same rigmarole a second time, after which it said the software was up to date. So I'm none the wiser really.

Since using the kludge for activating User POIs given earlier in this thread, the Pocket GPS World cameras have (mostly, I think) worked - but seem to take over an hour to get loaded after a switch on from cold. At least, this is the only explanation I can think of for what I have seen twice now - no alerts on the way into London, but all happening on the way back out a few hours later. So I don't know if this minor update - if it worked at all! - did anything about activating POIs.

The other thing is that having sent a route from MapSource, it then showed up (as the only one) when BaseCamp read the unit's temp.GPX file, but there's still no way of importing a route from that file on the unit itself - nor does it send its own routes to either MapSource or BaseCamp (they're saved in the Trips folder in the hidden .System folder on the unit, with meaningless file names but correct date and time - so obviously a new incompatible format). More research required...
Montana 650, Oregon 650
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my post about the first update issued to Garmin for the 37X0 series to version 2.50. Not sure how to link to it so here are the details via webupdater (sorry for double post). LINK HERE - DennisN (duplication of details deleted)

No mention of the Mapsource fix we have been promised by Garmin and I am not sure where Garmin get their list of "must do" fixes from as their are other issues which I would have thought are more pressing.
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've downloaded the Owners Manual, I was looking through & I can't seem to see an option to route plan "Via" somewhere.

For example: Woking to Lynmouth via Bath & Wells. I know I can do it on a TT but can you do it on a 3790? Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: